Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    I gave up watching Snooker after the cheat John Higgins was outed and then allowed return. Asian finalist might be a draw but I've grown too cynical :(
    Ya, me thinks its a disgrace really. I think they should take the MBE from him also :o

But I love the sport and fair players too much to give it up for someone like that lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

GerB40 wrote: »

The Masters I meant. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    I gave up watching Snooker after the cheat John Higgins was outed and then allowed return. Asian finalist might be a draw but I've grown too cynical :(

Did you give up watching the football World Cup because past matches were shown to be dodgy? Do you watch Wimbledon or any of the tennis majors now that match fixing is known to be rife in tennis? Where do you draw the line?

John Higgins was a lucky boy entirely, could have faced a longer ban, but he didn't because the News of the World sting against him was itself suspect and the newspaper had to doctor the "evidence" they gathered in order to make their story against him, as was outlined in the subsequent hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would be more exciting if it was Distraction Snooker. That the player not at the table can dance around and try put off guy at table. I find it silly that he has to sit there helpless, should be allowed to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Would be more exciting if it was Distraction Snooker. That the player not at the table can dance around and try put off guy at table. I find it silly that he has to sit there helpless, should be allowed to do something about it.

:pac:

I hope Barry Hearn isn't reading this thread otherwise your idea will be on some digital satellite channel by Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Then it wouldn't be Snooker :confused:

Anyway, Hawkins this tournament gave two of the best matches I've seen in a LONG time. That comeback last night was fantastic television, shame there had to be a loser. If he hadn't have gone 6-0 down, he'd likely have won it. My head says Selby to win now, but my heart says Ding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...Distraction Snooker...

It already is with Virgo and Taylor on the mic.:mad:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

After Jimmy White, Ding must be the best player never to have won the World Championship, great opportunity for him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great century from Ding to start off the semi, massive to get one in your first frame.

There's lots more to play but good start :) he seems relaxed so hope he will manage to maintain that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Jesus, Ding to win this one with a session to spare?

Gosh I'd actually love to see Ding to lift the trophy would be so nice :)

Selby already did that so this would be a history

McManus looks depressed really... prob not rest since previous match...

Wow Ding is really good today, playing almost by textbook... well done...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Why do people keep talking about a possible all Asain final as opposed to an all Chinese final? Yes Hong Kong is a federal state of sorts, but it's still Chinese and as much part of China as anywhere else, regardless of how the region is governed. Why do they keep trying to emphasise a difference as if Fu isn't Chinese at all? Is it because the British media are still bitter over basically having to give Hong Kong back so refuse to call it Chinese?

Ding lost some weight (and looks fitter) or I'm imagining?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

He's playing the his best snooker in about 9-10 years , terry Griffiths has done a good job on his mental side of the game,he seems very relaxed and calm around the table unlike other years

I do not feel the fuss, all well to me, both correct :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It's a political as much as a sporting question, I think. Some citizens of Hong Kong consider themselves Chinese, many more would deem it an insult to be called Chinese while others happily see themselves as both. I dont know where Marco Fu stands on that question, judging by his demeanour at the table, you'd imagine he might belong to the latter. It mightn't seem that important to us, but it's not all that different from the fuss caused sometimes when a sports star from the six counties is "claimed" as British.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'd be quite annoyed if I was Fu, with the constant implication from the media that he's not the nationality that he infact is (although I'm sure he has bigger things to worry about). Funnily enough, contrast it to the British media's portrayal of Andy Murray, when he's called British they don't harp on about him "not actually being British because Scotland has autonomy"..... autonomy similar to Hong Kong.

• Advertisement

Advertisement