Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Spot on. I'm sure this is what Mark Williams was hinting at on the bbc segment about the tables last week when he said "i can't really say what I want to say" because he'd get fined for doing so. I think ALL the players should come out and say it, they hate the Star tables and want to go back to Riley, and see what Hearn then does about it.

I can't see Hearn doing much about it really. It's all about the money for him. And to a certain extent I can kinda understand that. Id be hoping that the money is going into the devekopment and promotion of the game. But it just beggars belief that the Chinese can't sort out the manufacturing process. How many years are they at it now? I mean the cloth is Strachan the rubbers are Northern so all the need to do is get the frame, slate and steel blocks correct.

But as the previous poster has said I think the pockets have been much more forgiving than last year. Much more. And that's all down to the way the rubber is cut at the inlet to the pocket.

But I agree with you also, if all of the players are so unhappy about it why not try to influence Hearn?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I presume it is because the money IS realistically a big issue for WPBSA.. They made lots of decisions just cause of finances. I do not like those but can understand to a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I can't see Hearn doing much about it really. It's all about the money for him. And to a certain extent I can kinda understand that. Id be hoping that the money is going into the devekopment and promotion of the game. But it just beggars belief that the Chinese can't sort out the manufacturing process. How many years are they at it now? I mean the cloth is Strachan the rubbers are Northern so all the need to do is get the frame, slate and steel blocks correct.

But as the previous poster has said I think the pockets have been much more forgiving than last year. Much more. And that's all down to the way the rubber is cut at the inlet to the pocket.

But I agree with you also, if all of the players are so unhappy about it why not try to influence Hearn?

I dunno, I guess too many players dont want to be outspoken and are just happy to go along with whatever hearn decrees, he's providing them touraments and the incentive to earn cash, they dont want to rock the boat. If Williams wont do it, and Ronnie certainly wont, then who will?

I see the money argument alright, snooker is not awash with it, but if it's at the expense of the game's integrity, then I consider it a big issue. But nothing will change. Hearn's far too powerful for that.

As regards pockets, it has been a topic for debate at every world championship since at least 2000 in my memory, but the difference for me this year is that the BBC is finally acknowledging it and not trying to hoodwink us into believing these are regular, tight tournament tables. Willie Thorne's "that wouldn't have gone in on a nine-ball" is one of the commentary lines of the tournament for me.

The thought has also crossed my mind that perhaps Hearn has asked the table manufacturer to make the pockets a little more forgiving.

Compare it to the darts for instance where Hearn and sky had Unicorn develop a dartboard with super slim wires, making the trebles and doubles bigger. This resulted in more 9 darter, more 180s higher finishes and higher averages.

Making the pockets more forgiving would result in higher breaks, more centuries and higher stats overall.

Still doesn't get away from the fact that the tables are sh1te though

Yeah that's a bottom line, 24 carat french connection uk-up right there, the biggest occasion of the year, when the eyes of the world are on your sport, you couldnt get the table conditions right and made certain frames a lottery. A disaster of epic scale proportions by any standard.

Not much of a darts fan but it all fits. Its not just these sports either. Remember Sepp Blatter and widening the goal posts so more goals would be scored, and golf courses are often tarted up so that more birdies will ensue, which is what they think the public want to see. The general feeling is that bigger pockets act as a leveller, aid the lesser talented players more, and so encourage more shocks and interresting stories, which is probably all part of Hearn's master plan.

Anyway, doesn't alter the fact that we've an intriguing, maybe a great, final in store so I'm going to park the cynicism for 2 days and get right back on Mr Hearn's case Tuesday morning!!

And so it starts.... :)

Lavinia wrote: »
    And so it starts.... :)

Anyone know why it hasn't started on Eurosport. Don't have the bcc. Eurosport still has cycling on 20k left to go apparently

Anyone know why it hasn't started on Eurosport. Don't have the bcc. Eurosport still has cycling on 20k left to go apparently

Got it on the player

Seems as Selby's taking the first frame, appears as less nervous as oppose to Ding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

I hate the crowd so much. They have been annoying me for the two weeks...
    Phones, talking, coughing, and clapping way too often.

• Advertisement

enzo roco wrote: »
    I hate the crowd so much. They have been annoying me for the two weeks...
    Phones, talking, coughing, and clapping way too often.

Clapping after selby knocked in a red over the pocket following a phone incident really took the biscuit for me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fascinating safety battle right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Very poor start for Ding. Slowby is already grinding him down. Bad frame to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Selby's brilliant tactical ability has stolen him the frame, he's just great to watch in the close frames, nearly always wins his battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Early days but that'll hurt Ding

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Selby's come out flying, he started slow in the other finals he was in, Ding should be 2-1 up, hope he can get the next one and hang in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Great break by Selby, it's probably a bit early to say this but it's looking ominous already.

Ronnie on Eurosport ( no dogs so far lol) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Far from over. Want Ding to come back. Love Ronnie on Eurosport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Well done Selby, tough bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

We'll be lucky to get an evening session tomorrow with the way its going.

What's the score. Can tell post the scores. Got called out

6-0 to Selby, should be 3-3, Ding has had his chances, can't see Selby letting him back in the way he's playing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What's the score. Can tell post the scores. Got called out

Selby 6. Ding 0

Selby 6. Ding 0

Thanks. Should be back for seven. A major comeback fro ding I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Over already..shame

6:1 finally a frame for Ding

Just as well. Probably would have entirely killed the match that one...

• Advertisement

Thank Christ for that, if he steals the last frame he'll still be in it after a hellish session.

Oh gosh Ding almost went into tears there, really feel for the guy.. We have no idea what he's going through now...

Ding starting to find his feet now. If he can nip this frame he'll be back in it.

On the other end, you'd have to think Selby will be frustrated he's let Ding back in it after seeing how badly he was playing. Despite the score line Ding could probably leave in a better state mentally than Selby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

This frame could take a while. Really isn't much of a gap to the next session, could only be around an hour. Time for food, a pooh, maybe a quick shower, some fresh air if you are lucky and that's it.

6:2, plenty of time for what tinpib was suggesting!!

He's done it. 6-2 after first session. All to play for. Selby must be fuming he bottled that seventh frame.

That's it Ding, hope he comes out flying at the start of the next session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

I've heard Dennis Taylor and other pundits talk about mini sessions in long matches like this. Ding has to win the next one, so either 3:1 or 4:0 you feel.

If it's 10-7 to Selby at the end tonight, that wouldn't be the worst for Ding, Selby just wasn't missing anything in the first 6 frames, Ding would want start punishing mistakes and put Selby under some pressure.

Jesus over 50 million watching in China. Crazy numbers.

• Advertisement

I hope Ding stops to play these shots-to-pot and rather play to safety instead unless certain lol
    Spec in this phase of the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

completely of topic,who was singing "sound of silence" on bbc

Was really a lovely cover...

Selby must be relaxed in the knowledge that his mistakes won't be punished. Takes a lot of pressure off.

Hard to believe that this is the same Ding we saw in the earlier rounds. Selbys style of play while effective is so slow and tedious to watch

Ding needs to rattle in a 80+ break and punish what few mistakes Selby is making,need the next 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,555 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ding won't win unless he gets to 18 first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

good call.

i new the rest of the tournament would suffer quality wise when ronnie got knocked out, not a lot of great to watch players left.

Great chance for Ding to win the tournament although id have little faith in him not choking at some point.

Setting up for a poor finale i feel, Hawkins 7-1 down to Fu now, awful stuff.

Called it:P

very disappointing considering how well he played all tournament.

Ding won't win unless he gets to 18 first.

you are a mathematical wizard:)

• Advertisement

Called it:P

very disappointing considering how well he played all tournament.

Don't count your chickens yet. 7-4 now.

Advertisement