Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

seanhynes wrote: »
    Momentum gone back Liangs way , on the table chance for 9-8

Back in Trumps hands now. Would expect him to win this frame from here for 9-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nightmare of a session for Wenbo, he's missed everything. Trump is class when his potting is on form though, I'd love to see him win it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

This German ref is poor , he won't be getting many more matches this tournament I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

seanhynes wrote: »
    This German ref is poor , he won't be getting many more matches this tournament I feel

He may well be, but John Virgo would put years on you, pompous git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

"Where's the pink ball going...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Trump has played an absolute blinder today. He's looking good to go far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

No doubt! But it's his tone than gets to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Trumps should reasonably win a very large share of the tournaments. His attitude stinks - rewarding failure by buying a new car or flying to an exotic place when the better action might be to get stuck into some practice and not allow allow yourself another car til you actually win a major tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Wenbo is a great talent but his temperament under pressure is poor. He really needs to sort that out. Trump needs to be more consistent if he's going to win this tournament, he has the ability to do it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Joe Perry has lost his mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Bad start for Mark Williams against Michael Holt 3 nil down but he has pulled it back to 4-2 now. Log way to go first to 13. Holt played well against Robertson so you would have to make him favorite for this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Glenman wrote: »
    Bad start for Mark Williams against Michael Holt 3 nil down but he has pulled it back to 4-2 now. Log way to go first to 13. Holt played well against Robertson so you would have to make him favorite for this match.

4-4 at end of the session. Williams will be delighted with that from 3-0 down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fu is in flying form tonight, McGill has been disappointing though, hard to see how he could win all five remaining frames from here.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the story is with BBC coverage, 50 minutes a night is all I can see.

...Sky remote is broken so no red button for me. Still seems mental though how little they're showing on the main channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Just wondering if anyone knows what the story is with BBC coverage, 50 minutes a night is all I can see.

...Sky remote is broken so no red button for me. Still seems mental though how little they're showing on the main channels.

Same here. Can't seem to get it through the BBC website either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Maybe Eurosport have the rights to the evening sessions of the early rounds? They're showing both tables but the commentary can be awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe euro sport have every minute of the snooker. Yes euro sport is not great but it's improving. They now at least have a studio feature with the likes of white / o sullivan etc.
    The bbc is now a joke. It used to be fantastic in times when the red button had multiple feeds. Both tables would be on there at all times.

John Virgo. I think he's an awful prick. He was only ever an average player and he went out of his way to try and destroy Alex. He is also a very poor commentator. He is nearly always wrong with his shot calls. He rarely gets it right. He would be in the booth with Willie Thorne and Willie would call a shot and Virgo would disagree and would invariably be wrong. I think he is a tosser.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Pleasure listening to Stephen Hendry on commentary, he really knows his stuff. Very intelligent guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Torricelli wrote: »
    Pleasure listening to Stephen Hendry on commentary, he really knows his stuff. Very intelligent guy.

Was just thinking the same myself, he's the best commentator by a long way.

bajer101 wrote: »
    John Virgo. I think he's an awful prick. He was only ever an average player and he went out of his way to try and destroy Alex. He is also a very poor commentator. He is nearly always wrong with his shot calls. He rarely gets it right. He would be in the booth with Willie Thorne and Willie would call a shot and Virgo would disagree and would invariably be wrong. I think he is a tosser.

Listening to Virgo is a real chore, he can only be there as the bbc must reckon he adds a certain "charm" or "colour" to the commentary. As you rightly said he's often wrong in his shot selection. A right pain in the arse to listen to and don't get me started on when he gets excited....muppet!
    As Tor and tanko have said Hendry is the best. I also enjoy the contributions of Denis, Willie, Steve and Terry. Not sure about Pete yet though! JP and Ken ok too but prefer the others.
    On Eurosport Neal Foulds is good (he used to be on bbc a few years ago I think) but the others can often start rambling and rabbiting on a bit (like I am at the moment) instead of just talking about the shots and tactics of the game. Still though it's better than no snooker

tanko wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same myself, he's the best commentator by a long way.

A joy to listen to. Knows the intricacies of every shot. Then again you don't win what he did without such knowledge!

HisJills wrote: »
    Listening to Virgo is a real chore, he can only be there as the bbc must reckon he adds a certain "charm" or "colour" to the commentary. As you rightly said he's often wrong in his shot selection. A right pain in the arse to listen to and don't get me started on when he gets excited....muppet!
    As Tor and tanko have said Hendry is the best. I also enjoy the contributions of Denis, Willie, Steve and Terry. Not sure about Pete yet though! JP and Ken ok too but prefer the others.
    On Eurosport Neal Foulds is good (he used to be on bbc a few years ago I think) but the others can often start rambling and rabbiting on a bit (like I am at the moment) instead of just talking about the shots and tactics of the game. Still though it's better than no snooker

I just really dislike Virgo. I'm an aul fella and I remember the halcyon days and I remember what he did back then and how he tried to destroy Alex. Virgo was an average player at best and as a commentator he invariably gets it wrong. All he can say is "where's the cue ball going...!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Watching back at the old matches from the 70s or 80s the commentators said so little compared to now. Now they feel they must occupy every minute with comments. Some of it is interesting, and we are watching more now when red button or online coverage of every frame wasn't an option so the audience for the average frame is much higher now and the commentaters probably feel they need to keep the viewers engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Anyone think the standard is way down this year in general? Safety's aren't anywhere near the standard you expect @ WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

delaney001 wrote: »
    Anyone think the standard is way down this year in general? Safety's aren't anywhere near the standard you expect @ WC

Definitely not the normal standard. The McManus Carter match has been shocking. There does seem to be an issue with the tables which doesn't help but Carter totally lost it for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

jimmii wrote: »
    Definitely not the normal standard. The McManus Carter match has been shocking. There does seem to be an issue with the tables which doesn't help but Carter totally lost it for a bit.

Actually that's been the game I've seen the most of and some of the shots I've seen McManus take beggar belief. Prob sounds a snotty opinion, but at this level and stage your just not used to seeing people take wrong options or make foolish shots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great break by Carter, hope it goes down to a final frame decider.

Advertisement