Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2016

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

How much would you say the two finalists are making in sponsorship? Saw they had a Chinese sponsor and considering how many people watching in China there must be a huge fee for that, assume they get a share of that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,362 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I enjoyed the late night finish last night, was a pity it wasn't a bit closer in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Peter File wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Noticed that too, looked weird..

Permabear wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    ...and we have to go back to our lives.. :o

If anything, I hope this will make more people realize that snooker isn't just about Ronnie
    Careful now :D:p

"That's all folks!"
    Was fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Poxiest World Champion in a long time. Boring negative player.

Get a grip. Yesterday would one of the best days of snooker Ive ever seen.
    Both players gave it all, when they were exhausted.
    Well done to Selby, hard luck Ding. Two excellent players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,366 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ronnie would have beaten Selby.
    Ronnie likes to go behind in matches to make it interesting, he messed up this time. He's an idiot to keeping doing that but game is too easy for him. Written all over his face when he lost, his hands were shaking. He could have won easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ronnie would have beaten Selby.
    Ronnie likes to go behind in matches to make it interesting, he messed up this time. He's an idiot to keeping doing that but game is too easy for him. Written all over his face when he lost, his hands were shaking. He could have won easily.

Just like 2014... No, wait...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Just watched the last two frames. I like Selby, not enough to watch a full day's worth though, plus my boyfriend can't bear my choice of viewing sports.

Speaking of Vicky, a few years ago ai was watching and wrote a few tweets. Hadn't heard of Selby then, thought she was his mother. I didn't tweet him that, I'm not mean. I said it on twitter though and he deleted me from his followers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Again winners are sometimes like that, Hendry and Davis didn't look overly elated after they won their 2nd and later titles.

To be fair Hendry's style of play was good to watch and we now know Steve Davis has a sense of humour albeit not a very good one.

Selby deservedly won but his style of play and demeanor means he's unlikely to ever be a fans' favourite. Not that he'll be particularly bothered.

To be fair Hendry's style of play was good to watch and we now know Steve Davis has a sense of humour albeit not a very good one.

Selby deservedly won but his style of play and demeanor means he's unlikely to ever be a fans' favourite. Not that he'll be particularly bothered.

He's my favourite, I'm sure that's enough for him :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He's no Perrie Mans, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

To be fair Hendry's style of play was good to watch

Agreed. Hendry in his younger years was like Ronnie, high-tempo and fearless long potting and excellent break-building, but, like Ronnie, he slowed it down over the years. It's a shame he peaked in his mid-20s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I thoroughly enjoyed this years Crucible. There were some absolute warriors out there (Hawkins, Fu, Ding, & Carter spring to mind). I'm disappointed that Ding didn't win, but once Fu lost to Selby I kinda knew it was all over. Selby is something else tactically, and while perhaps not the most exciting player to watch, is a master of his craft. Maybe next time for Ding, the experience of being in the final will definitely stand to him & make him stronger mentally.

They did a really lovely piece on the BBC about Steve Davis too, it was quite emotional. I had met him previously & was hugely impressed with him, he's very friendly, approachable, and funny too. A really lovely chap, & a true legend of the game.

Speaking of Vicky, a few years ago ai was watching and wrote a few tweets. Hadn't heard of Selby then, thought she was his mother. I didn't tweet him that, I'm not mean. I said it on twitter though and he deleted me from his followers!
    Well its not a secret she is older than him, interestingly there is nowhere online how old she really is only speculation that she's about 38 but she does look older than that.. but you know, if it works for them why should they care what we think :)
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Just like 2014... No, wait...
    Ha, yes but that was not the only time the two met now wasn't it ;)
    Ronnie beat Selby three times this year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Selby makes Steve Davis look interesting! More charisma in a raggedy toenail!

All the Selby hate. I doubt he cares with his briefcase of prize money, 2nd world championship and holding onto the world number 1 spot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lavinia wrote: »
    Just as Ronnie said when Mark misses he leaves nothing for Ding and when Ding misses there's always something there.

This summed up the final for me.

Ding had one frame where he properly got the run of the ball, visibly angering Selby.

The rest of the time Selby was missing and leaving nothing, fluking snookers, and all sorts.

What I do admire though is his ability to win frames he never should. A master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

SlickRic wrote: »
    The rest of the time Selby was missing and leaving nothing, fluking snookers, and all sorts.

I have to say, I noticed this a lot myself. Not that I'd credit him winning as a result, nobody controls these things, but it must have been infuriating to play against. You could see Ding almost expressing disbelief at times because of it.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    All the Selby hate. I doubt he cares with his briefcase of prize money, 2nd world championship and holding onto the world number 1 spot...
    Why are you calling it "hate"? (hope it's a joke)

Me personally love Selby however in this particular match I preferred the other player is all (even he lost) :)

Also some criticism of the game is fine no? Nobody's saying he is not a good in his tactics as it obviously works as in produces result, but it may be boring at the time and some more attacking/courageous approach would be highly appreciated to keep the game going :rolleyes:

Btw I think he highly improved comparing to his game when he started, did get faster and more flowing.. but this game couple of times really reminded of his old style..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

enzo roco wrote: »
    Get a grip. Yesterday would one of the best days of snooker Ive ever seen.
    Both players gave it all, when they were exhausted.
    Well done to Selby, hard luck Ding. Two excellent players

If slow snooker is what floats your boat then of course it would of been one of the best days snooker you've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Neil Robertson predicted the exact result before the match on twitter. 18-14 to Selby. Pretty damn impressive. I thought Ding was gonna win it outright after beating Trump. Selby is a tenacious player. He has incredible mental strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

walshb wrote: »
    Selby makes Steve Davis look interesting! More charisma in a raggedy toenail!

funny thing is when he broke onto the scene he was totally different. Seemed a bit of craic and often took on exciting plants etc. Still don't think he's bad as some on here mind you.

Advertisement