Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths grinds in the Laois Area?

Options
  • 14-04-2016 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

I'm working something out with a poster on here but it got me thinking, are there any other maths grinds on here who might be more convenient or cheaper? Current rate to beat is 25 euros an hour. If you're interested, PM me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

TSMGUY wrote: »
    I'm working something out with a poster on here but it got me thinking, are there any other maths grinds on here who might be more convenient or cheaper? Current rate to beat is 25 euros an hour. If you're interested, PM me.

€25 p/h is high.
    How about using youtube and the internet???

Go to youtube, and see patrickjmt.
    Its free.

Note to students; You dont need grinds if you have attend school.
    You have the internet and books. Just put the work in yourself.
    Keep the money and reward yourself at the end of june!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

25 per hour is about the going rate for an experienced qualified teacher. It's actually a litttle less than I would have expected for HL Maths.

Of course undergraduate students who did well at Maths in the exam will charge less, but you usually get what you pay for there. Just because someone was good at doing something doesn't mean they will be good at teaching someone else to do it.

TSMGUY did you search the grinds thread? I know some of the ads are old but they may do a deal for someone in your circumstances, out of school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

spurious wrote: »
    25 per hour is about the going rate for an experienced qualified teacher. It's actually a litttle less than I would have expected for HL Maths.

Of course undergraduate students who did well at Maths in the exam will charge less, but you usually get what you pay for there. Just because someone was good at doing something doesn't mean they will be good at teaching someone else to do it.

TSMGUY did you search the grinds thread? I know some of the ads are old but they may do a deal for someone in your circumstances, out of school.
    I'll take a look. It's true that you get what you pay for but it seems incredibly unfair that the middle class kids have access to better resources and teaching than us working-class sluggers. Surely education should be totally meritocratic. I digress.....
    enzo roco wrote: »
    €25 p/h is high.
    How about using youtube and the internet???

Go to youtube, and see patrickjmt.
    Its free.

Note to students; You dont need grinds if you have attend school.
    You have the internet and books. Just put the work in yourself.
    Keep the money and reward yourself at the end of june!!!
    I wish that would suffice but I don't have a teacher and some concepts are just too complex to learn autodidactically.

I'll take a look. It's true that you get what you pay for but it seems incredibly unfair that the middle class kids have access to better resources and teaching than us working-class sluggers. Surely education should be totally meritocratic. I digress.....
    I wish that would suffice but I don't have a teacher and some concepts are just too complex to learn autodidactically.

Well of course, some would rather have a fat wallet than help someone struggling with studies.

Are you higher or ordinary, what concepts are you struggling with?

Using the chain/product rule at the same time
    Geometry of the line
    Complex number equations involving roots
    Geometry in general.

Number theory and stats/probability are all fine.

Higher looking for a a1, but I'll settle for an A2!

• Advertisement

Geometry of the line
    Geometry in general.

Not easy topics on your own.
    Youtube and other websites can really help you out for learning on your own.

For example, I had a quick youtube search for your first topic, I typed in "using chain rule and product rule at the same time". And there are many videos that can help you out. Some may be too easy for you since you are obviously doing well, going for an A1 in higher.
    But watch some with pen and paper and do the examples along with the person. It really helped me in college.
    Best of luck, but you wont get grinds unless you pay the big money. Unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Geometry of the line
    Geometry in general.

You will find tones more with a quick search, but I just glanced through these to show you how amazing the Internet is. :o

Chain+product rule https://youtu.be/cngzQ5xIOBY

Geometry of the line. https://youtu.be/XxZDV2K3oIs 1#
    https://youtu.be/c6MJ_Bb6bLI 2# https://youtu.be/qTliFzj4wuc. 3#

Complex numbers https://youtu.be/kpywdu1afas introduction https://youtu.be/bPqB9a1uk_8 introduction2 https://youtu.be/irwItP7PiQg advanced

Take these videos step by step, once you reach a 'chapter' complete, try some questions on a maths book and use the back of the book to check if you're right with answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Repeating and without a teacher like yourself (Well I have one, but I don't have the time to go to class).

I've been using themathstutor to help with maths. I went up from OL last year to HL this year and got a D2 in the mock. Maybe try the free trial and see if you like it. I wasn't able to find any grinds myself in the midlands area.

Repeating and without a teacher like yourself (Well I have one, but I don't have the time to go to class).

I've been using themathstutor to help with maths. I went up from OL last year to HL this year and got a D2 in the mock. Maybe try the free trial and see if you like it. I wasn't able to find any grinds myself in the midlands area.

Well done, mate! With the way my motivation peaks and then dips so rapidly I'll probably end up f***ing my exams up but who knows....

The physicsteacher is great for physics so I imagine the mathstutor would be pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Well done, mate! With the way my motivation peaks and then dips so rapidly I'll probably end up f***ing my exams up but who knows....

The physicsteacher is great for physics so I imagine the mathstutor would be pretty good too.

Oh completely forgot about the physicsteacher, will have to start using that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'll take a look. It's true that you get what you pay for but it seems incredibly unfair that the middle class kids have access to better resources and teaching than us working-class sluggers.
    Of course it is, but you can't really use that argument to bargain down someone who is providing a service which you are "buying", unfortunately!

Advertisement