Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Olive Oil?

Options
  • 14-04-2016 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

What is the best Olive Oil that's easily available i.e in every supermarket?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Solesta one in Aldi is really good, and a lot cheaper than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ruxjit wrote:

That's possibly the most subjective question ever.

The best olive oil for what? Cooking with? Making salad dressings with? Making mayonnaise/hollandaise with?

Even within those categories you'll get people who'll go to their grave saying that Portuguese/Spanish/Greek/Italian olive oils are all better than their counterparts.

It's a bit like asking what the best wine is. It really depends on A) what you're using it for and then B) what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 galanatalia

The best olive oil is the "virgin extra olive oil", these four words make the difference between a high quality olive oil, and a regular olive oil. This means that is only olive juice obtained by crushing olives. Then you can choose between a certain olive varieties (hojiblanca, arbequina, picual...) each of them with specific aromas and tastes. Don't be confused with another as virgin oil, or extra oil... You can get a good virgin extra olive oil in Dunnnes, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi... I choose the Lidl one because is great quality at reasonable price, and I like the taste. But I can assure you that any "virgin extra olive oil" you will choose will be perfect quality. Then is matter of taste and your own taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The best olive oil is the "virgin extra olive oil", these four words make the difference between a high quality olive oil, and a regular olive oil. This means that is only olive juice obtained by crushing olives. Then you can choose between a certain olive varieties (hojiblanca, arbequina, picual...) each of them with specific aromas and tastes. Don't be confused with another as virgin oil, or extra oil... You can get a good virgin extra olive oil in Dunnnes, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi... I choose the Lidl one because is great quality at reasonable price, and I like the taste. But I can assure you that any "virgin extra olive oil" you will choose will be perfect quality. Then is matter of taste and your own taste.

Except if you're cooking with it, its not the best for a variety of reasons - smoke point being the main one.

As said above, this is an unanswerable question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 galanatalia

L1011 wrote: »
    Except if you're cooking with it, its not the best for a variety of reasons - smoke point being the main one.

As said above, this is an unanswerable question.

That is your opinion based on your own taste. There are many varieties, with different tastes. Is the best to cook, and to use directly, and is the best because is unrefined. But, not all people like the taste, and is very expensive for fry, but in quality unquestionably the best. Many people, as me, choose seeds olive to fry, becuase of price questions and because the taste is lighter. But refined oils are not good, and when you fry with them several times, it could be dangerous for health. There are many studies about this.

You can find information about extra virgin olive oil in many source on the internet, and I am absolutely sure more clear than my basic language :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is your opinion based on your own taste.

No, its based on pure scientific fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just don't expect those 4 words to be written in that order on the bottle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My preferred choice is Aldi's Specially Select one although I liked the one they had under the same brand up to about a year ago better. I wouldn't use it for deep frying or for frying at high temperatures.

I like strong peppery tasting oils and really strong ones are sometimes hard to get in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭worded

I like the olive oil in the gold coloured litre can. It's italian and the name escapes me for the moment, will post it later.

Also available in bottles ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I know a few people who will swear by olive oil fried steaks... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ruxjit wrote: »

When you narrow your search by availability in every supermarket, you'll end up with the most rubbish mainstream crap...

I supply myself with Biona Organic.

Olive oil is the number 1 fraud food - e.g. not from county of origin, not extra virgin etc

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/tag/olive-oil-fraud?page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

grogi wrote: »
    When you narrow your search by availability in every supermarket, you'll end up with the most rubbish mainstream crap...

I supply myself with Biona Organic.
    Yeah and my mum gets me extra virgin oil from a region that is known for very good quality of olive oils directly from the source. They do their own cold pressing and so on. I'm promised a shipment soon but in the meantime some supermarket bought decent quality oils will do. I actually googled oil you have and besides claiming it is organic they list very little about the provenance. Basically there is no information that would prove it to be any less rubbish than other extra virgin supermarket brands. I would more trust something that clearly lists provenance than an olive oil supplied by uk wholesaler with very little information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

The deterioration of oil with heat is a lot like the carcinogens formed when cooking meat. We know it happens, yet many people will still ignore it.

In traditional Spanish cooking, olive oil (extra virgin if you're a celebrity chef!) is used even for deep frying. You wouldn't find Karlos Arguiñano using anything other than extra virgin olive oil. Torrijas, croquetas, etc., don't really taste the same when fried in other types of oil.

It wouldn't surprise me if other olive oil-producing countries had the same attitude to cooking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

worded wrote: »
    Olive oil is the number 1 fraud food - e.g. not from county of origin, not extra virgin etc

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/tag/olive-oil-fraud?page=3

Exactly,

There's a reason Italy are the biggest exporters of Olive Oil, but happen to also be one of the biggest IMPORTERS!

You're probably using some Tunisian rubbish!

Go to some farmers markets and taste some oils and buy one you like the taste of at least if you're been shafted it's a tasty shafting!

Advertisement