Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish made outdoor gear

Options
  • 14-04-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Need some new gear ahead of summer. Mainly lighter gear, hiking pants, base layer, maybe a mid layer. All my gear at the moment is stuff I use skiing or when I'm out on the hills/mountains when temperatures are single digits and down.

Was thinking of trying to buy local etc. Anyone know if Irish brands on the go?

Cheers,

J

Comments

This isn't exactly what you're looking for and I don't know of a company that makes what you're looking for.

This is a NI company and manufacture is in the UK. The owner (Stanley) has been very good to us on the Fei Sheehy Challenge (charity fundraiser) for the last few years in donating products that we raffle among those that register for the event.

I have purchased some of these products and have the Fleece, Osprey Jacket, Windshirt, Smock and Beanie Hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Thanks. Looking for something fully Irish made though.

Found one company who make merino t-shirts bit nothing else. I've now forgot their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Try Jack Murphy's in balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

I think Portwest is based in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

IrlJidel wrote: »
    I think Portwest is based in Mayo

They are based in Mayo, yeah, but almost all of their lines are relabelled so no they aren't Irish made as such. Still, their lines are great value and great quality as a whole.

• Advertisement

Yea portwest dont make gear I like generally. Personal thing but good seeing Irish companies like them out there.

Figure I'll add to this list as I find out more companies.

Therm-a-Rest sleeping mats, MSR gear, Platypus bladders and bottles, E-Cases and Packtowls are all made in Midleton in Cork! Serves as their manufacturing base for Europe, which is great. Seems they employ approx 112 down there. Stumbled across this while researching for a colder weather mat.

Therm-a-Rest gear gets rave reviews but is expensive as hell. Going to see if they have an outlet/seconds store down there. Will report back.

"In numbers – Cascade Design Ltd, Ireland
    122. The current number of employees based between Midleton and Bantry, Co Cork
    6-7 million. The estimated amount in euro per year that goes back into the local Irish economy.
    200,000. The approximate number Therm-a-Rest mattresses made in Midleton, Cork every year.
    22. The number of countries the Irish Cascade factories supply to. They include Germany, Switzerland, France, UK, Netherlands, Russia, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Czech Republic, Austria, Sweden, Italy, Finland, Poland, Ireland, Spain, Estonia, Turkey, Ukraine, Latvia and Israel.
    9. The number of brands in the Cascade Designs Ltd family. MSR, Therm-a-Rest, SealLine, Platypus, E-Case, PackTowl, Hummingbird, Jet Rest and SkyLounger." - From the below outside piece from June 15

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/ie/Our-Story
    http://www.outsider.ie/Features/June-2015/Cascade-Designs-30-Years-in-Ireland-and-Flying-Hig

CardinalJ wrote:
    Going to see if they have an outlet/seconds store down there. Will report back.

They've no outlet or seconds type thing down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I bought a Therm A Rest sleeping mat on Amazon.co.uk and it made in Ireland.

I bought the same sleeping mat while hiking in the US on Amazon.com and it was made in the US.

DonJose wrote: »
    I bought a Therm A Rest sleeping mat on Amazon.co.uk and it made in Ireland.

I bought the same sleeping mat while hiking in the US on Amazon.com and it was made in the US.

All their stuff is made in Seattle or Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement