Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone charging cable not working anymore.

• 14-04-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

I've been using a cable that I bought in Aldi before xmas with my iphone 5. Today I got a pop up message telling me that the cable may not be compatible. There's a charging symbol beside the battery symbol as normal but the battery charge is going down instead of up.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

This happens with non Apple authorised chargers or cables. Nothing you can do as far as I know. Apple do this to prevent damage being done to your battery of device by poorly made accessories. Not saying the one you have is poorly made just that it obviously didn't go through Apples rigmarole:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

No no I disagree, Apple do this to make extra profits by charging extortionate prices for a piece of cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I personally know two people who had issues with their phones using fake Chinese chargers.

I've also had that message before when one of my original charger cables started to die after an unfortunate incident with my cat. :o

OP, Amazon do Apple-certified charger cables which are cheaper than Apple's own: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Apple-Certified-Lightning-Cable/dp/B010U3XO3Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks folks. I had a feeling it was something like that. My daughter just came home and gave me her genuine apple cable to try and it's fine. When I bought the cable it clearly said "Apple approved" on the box. I'm nearly sure it's still here somewhere. I'll take a trip to Aldi and get my 6 quid back and put it towards an Apple cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

This or if length is your thing then this

Problem solved.

EDIT: Groupon are doing genuine cable for €12.49 delivered

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    This or if length is your thing then this

Problem solved.

EDIT: Groupon are doing genuine cable for €12.49 delivered

Thanks for that.

I'll get something online over the next day or two.

I'm a bit disappointed with ALDI, who sold me the cable as "Appple approved" I'll get a cable that works with it and then sell it

I picked up belkin cable in halfords recently for around 14/15 € . Although they're currently showing online as €17.99. Might be worth a shot if you're stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

This post has been deleted.

This usually happens if the cable is damaged in some way. I think the phone just assumes that if something is different than usual, the cable must be fake! Obviously that's not always the case.

I was at a friend's house yesterday and tried her €5 TK Maxx cable and it worked fine. After I came home I tried my Aldi cable again. It's working fine as well. Maybe it was just a software glitch.

All good.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Those messages always seem to start popping up when the cable (apple or otherwise) is starting to deteriorate. Usually stops working entirely after a while

Advertisement