Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for climbing plant

Options
  • 14-04-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't the faintest idea about plants and gardening, so I'm looking for suggestions for a climbing plant that a) looks nice; b) won't die if the temperature drops below 5 degrees; and most importantly c) is low maintenance. It will be on a trellis approx. 4-6 feet wide, and I'm not too concerned about how fast it grows. It will be covering a discoloured wall, so ideally it should have fairly thick coverage. I'd be looking to get this sorted in the next month or so, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Clematis. Gorgeous and a special heavenly scent. Easy-to-use and fairly fast growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

You can get evergreen clematis too so that would cover your wall all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yes, Clematis Armandii, flowering about now, would gallop over the wall. You would just need to train it to a framework and then forget about it except to keep it tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have a clematis armandii covering a horrible wall and it is gorgeous and prolific, within 2 years it had covered the entire area. the bottom 2 foot is kind of bare but I grow sweet pea up that most years which then dies back.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks all. Clematis seems to be the way to go, but I had a look at Clematis Armandii on Google and the flowers seem to be white, which I'm not that keen on. Are there any other evergreen varieties with different coloured flowers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Landsdowne Gem will give you segmented purple flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

We've got a potato vine that the wife likes, it flowered for months and months with pretty white flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was going to recommend the potato vine (solanum alba) but it is not completely hardy - though the blue version is more hardy. The white one is more attractive I think.

looksee wrote: »
    I was going to recommend the potato vine (solanum alba) but it is not completely hardy - though the blue version is more hardy. The white one is more attractive I think.

In my experience the blue solanum is difficult to maintain as wall cover, it's natural habit is to form a shrub or tree and it's a bit of a thug. Solanum Alba is much easier to control.
    OP, maybe look at Akebia Quinata as an alternative, also fast growing and usually evergreen in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I love honeysuckle too, it grows fast, is hardy and smells like summer.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »

In my experience the blue solanum is difficult to maintain as wall cover, it's natural habit is to form a shrub or tree and it's a bit of a thug. Solanum Alba is much easier to control.
    OP, maybe look at Akebia Quinata as an alternative, also fast growing and usually evergreen in Ireland.
    Add your reply here.
    Yes I have a blue one and it is becoming very tree like. They grow so fast too. Another one to consider is a kiwi vine, I don't think it will fruit except on a sunny south facing wall but the flowers are nice. Sweet peas are lovely but I think annual so not permanent but it would fill a gap while you are waiting for other things to grow. Climbing roses are another one. Dublin bay roses are a perfect big red rose and they climb and grow fast. Not sure how frost hardy the are though

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

What about jasmine? I don't know it but saw it in a garden centre and said it's evergreen. Smells gorgeous too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Requirements:

a) looks nice;
    b) won't die if the temperature drops below 5 degrees; and most importantly
    c) is low maintenance.
    d) it should have fairly thick coverage.

Most of the climbers listed lose their leaves in winter so would only have good coverage from April/May to October/November.

I would suggest a varigated ivy whose leaves remain all year. Looks nice, won't die at low temperatures, relatively low maintenance, is hardy, and has good thick coverage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You could go for a cotoneaster.

Roselm wrote: »
    What about jasmine? I don't know it but saw it in a garden centre and said it's evergreen. Smells gorgeous too

Yes. Jasmine is lovely too.

Roselm wrote: »

I would suggest what you saw was not true Jasmine but trachelospermum jasminoides or Star Jasmine, Common Jasmine is deciduous and not always hardy. Again, most forms have white flowers which OP is not keen on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Guys, you've been brilliant, thank you so much for your suggestions, we'll definitely find something we like from all the plants mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I really would not plant ivy, it is lovely while it is young but it can turn into a monster - and if the wall is not very sturdy it can pull a wall down - been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I really would not plant ivy, it is lovely while it is young but it can turn into a monster - and if the wall is not very sturdy it can pull a wall down - been there.

Regular maintenance takes care of annual growth. Have it on ugly wall here. No problem tbh.

Native plant plus good source of nectar for bees as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are some hardier passiflora varieties which are completely stunning. Partially everygreen (they lose some leaves in winter, but not all).

I treat mine very poorly and it thrives. (Picture of a passiflora flower below)

passifl_septbloom.jpg

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    There are some hardier passiflora varieties which are completely stunning. Partially everygreen (they lose some leaves in winter, but not all).

I treat mine very poorly and it thrives. (Picture of a passiflora flower below)

passifl_septbloom.jpg

A well trained Passiflora in full bloom is a sight to behold but again, a bit of a thug. Tends to sucker all over the place and can swamp nearby plants and shrubs, but if you're prepared to put in the effort to put manners on it, well worth having, I attack mine with a hedge trimmers every spring. Might be better in a large pot to stop it running riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Robin Macson

Clematis Montana is the fastest growing of all the clematis and also one of the easiest to grow. In perfect conditions it can grow to a height of 12m (40ft). If it is cut back by about one third after the first flowering this will encourage vigorous growth. Montana prefers alkaline soil and the roots and main stem need protecting from direct sunlight.

Virginia creeper is a hardy climber with warm red foliage in Autumn. Ideally should be given a horizontal support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Robin Macson

Clematis Montana is the fastest growing of all the clematis and also one of the easiest to grow. In perfect conditions it can grow to a height of 12m (40ft). If it is cut back by about one third after the first flowering this will encourage vigorous growth. Montana prefers alkaline soil and the roots and main stem need protecting from direct sunlight.

Virginia creeper is a hardy climber with warm red foliage in Autumn. Ideally should be given a horizontal support.

Honeysuckle comes is several varieties which are vigorous and hardy, with strongly scented flowers ranging in colour from pale creamy white to bright orange red. They prefer a lightly shaded spot, well drained soil and plenty of compost.

Russian Vine is probably the fastest wall cover of all, but can easily get out of hand as it can grow 5m (16ft) in one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Don't plant Clematis Montana or a Russian Vine unless you have a very large area to cover, both are very vigorous.

I agree with the suggestion of the white potato vine Solanum Jasminoides Alba
    not the blue one Glasnevin which is also too vigourous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The OP doesn't fancy white flowers. If they change their mind then Clematis Armanii is a very good choice.

Remember with Clematis to put a piece of pot or stone to shade their roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

their growth up top does that anyway

Advertisement