Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyds Gunstock - Atlantic Shooting and Fishing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Cass wrote: »
    Been reading online that Atlantic Gun shop in Carlow have an order of Boyds stocks currently in the shop. They say they are for a range of firearms.

Anyone seen them, called them? Any idea on price, etc. Might give them a buzz tomorrow to check but in case anyone has already contacted them i thought i'd ask.

Being the first and only gun shop in this country where I was offered a coffee while I drooled over their guns and having negotiated a good deal over a cz 455 and then Insisting that they threw in a box of ammo and they threw in 250 rounds I am beginning to drool again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

clawback07 wrote: »
    Being the first and only gun shop in this country where I was offered a coffee while I drooled over their guns and having negotiated a good deal over a cz 455 and then Insisting that they threw in a box of ammo and they threw in 250 rounds I am beginning to drool again !!

How much was the CZ 455, what model? I recently bought a 455 16" Varmint heavy barrel for €575 and a hundred rounds thrown in, no coffee though.

rsole1 wrote: »
    How much was the CZ 455, what model? I recently bought a 455 16" Varmint heavy barrel for €575 and a hundred rounds thrown in, no coffee though.

Hi , it was about 12 months ago and it was a varmint model , 16" heavy barrel threaded as well . 520 Euros and I traded a 10/22 as part of the deal . One Midland dealer wanted 590 euros .Two dealers would'nt take the 10/22 as part trade . I wouldn't mind if the ruger was a piece of crap - it had a Volquartsen hammer and sear , hogue stock ,kid buffer and threaded . Atlantic sports gave me a fair deal and it was the first time I dealt with them !

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

clawback07 wrote: »
    Hi , it was about 12 months ago and it was a varmint model , 16" heavy barrel threaded as well . 520 Euros and I traded a 10/22 as part of the deal . One Midland dealer wanted 590 euros .Two dealers would'nt take the 10/22 as part trade . I wouldn't mind if the ruger was a piece of crap - it had a Volquartsen hammer and sear , hogue stock ,kid buffer and threaded . Atlantic sports gave me a fair deal and it was the first time I dealt with them !

This is the second 455 I've had and it is definitely more accurate than the first 455 with the standard barrel. Don't know why a shorter heavier barrel makes it more accurate. Is accuracy ok with yours?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

So gave them a call. They only have Tikka and CZ527 stocks in at the moment, but are getting more in and will take orders.

I asked for a price, general as prices may vary, and they said around the €190 - €200 mark. No more than that.

I've read here that lads have imported them on their own and the total cost was €165. However that was when the stocks could be imported. Now they are no longer $99, but $129 and so Boyds will not export them. That is not Atlantics word that is from Boyds website.

If i remember right the export license fee is around the $250 mark. So the $129 stock becomes $379 (or €335). I suppose if the shop is importing a few at a time under the one license then that cost can be spread over numerous stocks. Plus add their touch to it and it doesn't seem too bad.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

I got one direct from Boyds late last year. No mention of export licence. Cost 170 in total

This is the second 455 I've had and it is definitely more accurate than the first 455 with the standard barrel. Don't know why a shorter heavier barrel makes it more accurate. Is accuracy ok with yours?

This is my 5th cz / Brno , from the 452 through magnums and semi autos and nothing comes near the 455 varmint .The only thing hampering accuracy is me ! It loves CCI subs and eley subs .The trigger is fine and I haven't tricked with it . I even think this could be the final rifle !

darg wrote: »
    I got one direct from Boyds late last year. No mention of export licence. Cost 170 in total

What price was the stock? If it was still $99 then that is fine. Since then they have gone up to $129 which puts it over the $100 mark. BTW this is Boyds saying this, not me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

What price was the stock? If it was still $99 then that is fine. Since then they have gone up to $129 which puts it over the $100 mark. BTW this is Boyds saying this, not me.

My main point was about the lack of export licence

But what price was the stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

Most of the stocks are $129 now but I picked up a stock for my t3 about 3 months back at the old price of $99 on special offer. It cost about €185 including postage and import tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

The shorter, fat barrel does not flex so much when bullets travel down it. Even though the vibrations are tiny, they can mean the muzzle is imperceptibly off-target when the bullet exits.

All the powder is burned by 16" in a .22LR also.

In a .17HMR, optimum accuracy/velocity is achieved with an 18"/18.5" barrel.

Most of the stocks are $129 now but I picked up a stock for my t3 about 3 months back at the old price of $99 on special offer. It cost about €185 including postage and import tax

That is why i asked darg twice about the price of the stock. Doesn't matter what happened last year or any other time. Boyds have raised the price of their stocks, and by their own site rules they won't ship anything over €99.

So previously it cost you the price of the stock, shipping, import duties, etc. Now because of the price hike and the fact that Boyds don't have the license to ship abroad (on products over $100) you will find yourself paying a single export fee which last i checkled was in the region of $250.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

If you keep an eye on the Boyds site they sometimes reduce the price of selected stocks to 99 dollars ,also check the link to RAPID FIRE CLOSEOUTS on their page there are stocks there at 99.

Cass wrote:
    So previously it cost you the price of the stock, shipping, import duties, etc. Now because of the price hike and the fact that Boyds don't have the license to ship abroad (on products over $100) you will find yourself paying a single export fee which last i checkled was in the region of $250.

I've bought scopes from the states that require export (end user) licences with no extra charge.

As have i. Those companies pay the license fee for export so they can export. Boyds don't.

To be honest I can't see them paying $250 on a $700 scope. It seems a bit much.

We're getting our wires crossed so i'll break it down as best as i understand it.

For an individual to import a single item (or multiple items) you pay import duty, taxes, etc. However for some items you may also have to pay a once off export fee for the export license. This license is only applicable to certain items.

For a company they can pay for a year, two year, five year, ten year, lifetime, (whatever it lasts for) export license. This allows them to export whatever goods are subject to the export fee for the course of the license. Not for each individual item, but all items sold/exported in that time frame.

The only thing i can liken it to (and its not really accurate) is a person here has a single individual firearms license for one firearm. An RFD can have multiple items (not to use but to be in possession of). Something like that.

I got all this a short while ago when i contacted an American company about bringing in some items. They said they needed an export license to ship to Ireland and as they don't normally ship internationally i'd have to pay the once off fee. I was then told the same thing by a couple of other companies and that is when one of them explained it to me, and mentioned Boyds as an example. Boyds won't pay for the company based export license (apparently its in the hundred thousand Dollar mark). Now they have free trade agreements with some companies like the UK so it doesn't apply to them (again, so i'm told).

I've brought stuff in from America loads of times over the years. From rifles, to equipment, to accessories. Sometimes i've been hit with duties, sometimes not. Never have i had to pay this export license fee, but the last time i imported was about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

I asked for a price, general as prices may vary, and they said around the €190 - €200 mark. No more than that.

Let's start with the $129 for the stock.

Having had a few bits shipped myself, it's safe to say that $40 is a starting point for just about anything bigger than a post card. So quote s&h at $60. That's a total of almost €170 at today's rates.

Sounds fair enough. Have to spot the local dealer a few bob.

Weak €uro isn't helping either. When the €uro was strong a lot of costs could be digested. No so much nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

I bought a Boyds thumbhole stock for my T3 in Atlantic yesterday. They charged me 220 euro .Very happy with it !

• Advertisement
Advertisement