Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New site.

• 14-04-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I've done a new website. Born out of frustration and the need for a project while learning a new framework ;)

broadbandadvisor.ie

Still working on it at the moment. Few more features to add, so the site will be more than just a review site.

One issue I'm having is getting reviews in. Everyone wants to look and see other peoples opinion but few bother giving theirs, vicious circle :)

Hoping the other features may be an extra reason to visit the site. I have a twitter and facebook going also. Early days yet though.

(Unable to post links as a new user, hence the non-link)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Funkd.

Any opinions would be great :)

Or reviews for ISPs! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Site is easy on the eye but most of the text on it is far far too small.

EDIT: The drop down menus have to be clicked on. I would change them to hover to expand. The small amount of info in the drop down menu means it won't be too messy when hovering.

Cheers callaway, I get what you mean about the font size. It was rather small. To my eyes its neat, but obviously thats not the case for everyone. I've bumped it up slightly, but I think I need to maybe get another font. I'll have a play around with some. At that stage that I'm getting sick of the layout, always happens when you spend so much time looking at it!!

Also removed some fields from signup, I know myself if there are too many it would put me off signing up. Looking to integrate the login with google/facebook also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yep, just had a look there and it's way nicer now. Good luck with the site :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Funkd. wrote: »
    Also removed some fields from signup, I know myself if there are too many it would put me off signing up. Looking to integrate the login with google/facebook also.
    You've no HTTPS for your site at all, that'd certainly put me off from signup.

Blowfish wrote: »
    You've no HTTPS for your site at all, that'd certainly put me off from signup.

Believe it or not I'm actually finishing the setup for that at the minute :) Done but gotta redirect http traffic to https.

Adding in something, possibly this evening, that might be useful to people on here (Broadband forums). Although I cant exactly mention in the forum as it would be seen as advertising! :D May check with mods.

Note: Originally posted this message under my main boards username. Have a separate one for dev and personal. Wanted to keep separate... although annoying now, I might just use my main one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dmelseo

Hey Funkd, the first thing that caught my attention on your website was your logo. In my opinion it doesn't look professional enough. It's not easy to make the orange and blue to work together, specially with the drop shadow effect you have there. The logo drives too much attention to the menu and the middle of the page.

Try a different colour palette or just go with neutral colours. (grey would look great)

dmelseo wrote: »
    Hey Funkd, the first thing that caught my attention on your website was your logo. In my opinion it doesn't look professional enough. It's not easy to make the orange and blue to work together, specially with the drop shadow effect you have there. The logo drives too much attention to the menu and the middle of the page.

Try a different colour palette or just go with neutral colours. (grey would look great)

Yeah, I'd been looking online at various logo design crowds, but seems to be quite a few that can be dodgy. Will look more into it again at some point. I've been playing around with different designs. As usually happens, when you spend a lot of time looking at the same page design during development, you get sick of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What stack did you use?

What stack did you use?

I used LAMP, with Laravel framework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The "Reviews" and "Information" menu options should navigate somewhere when clicked to keep it consistent with the other menu options which dont have a dropdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Looks nice! Few points, I would remove the big 'broadband advisor' in the center of the homepage, it's already in the nav bar. Move the double column writing up there and then there's no scrolling on the homepage. Also the two follow buttons look a bit out of place, possibly could place them on the same line or in the footer with different icons. Best of luck with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

Who signs up for websites anymore? Unless you need to create a profile (like something along the lines of facebook, etc) you shouldn't be greeted with a "sign up///login" page on the front now, should we?

Create 1 big input box to search your own specific "requirements" then if people want to create an account so you can SPECIFICALLY store information for them, then do so. Allow anonymous browsing, it's the future of the internet.

If you must store previous search history or something along those lines, or even were to go down the road of a god forbid "premium" account to generate somewhat "better" results, then you could allow for the option to create an account aswell.

Top tip for selling "premium" memberships; allow transactions from both bitcoin and paypal. DOGE too, if you're feeling in the mood.

Hate me or rate me, I know some people don't like my heads on approach and I may come across as a very rude being. That's because I AM. I didn't get to where I am by being nice, if you want a successful site, those are my tips, I'm a very well respected programmer, I think you should be grateful for my wisdom. :D Have a nice day sir.

Advertisement