Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 8) & EA Sports Cup Round 2, April 15-16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hoping we can take points down in Waterford, Gorman out for them is a big loss!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

First goal will be even more huge than usual, going by this season so far whoever gets it will probably win 2-0 in Dalymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully City can come calling at the City Calling Stadium on Saturday night and take all 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Some big games tonight.

There is some ridiculous pressure on a few teams considering how early it is in the season. Shamrock Rovers and Cork will be desperate for good results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wexford will be a tough enough one for us. They are a hard working side and their performances have been good . I still think that we will win but it will be tight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Required viewing :)

Fenlon hasn't been on the winning side in this fixture in the league in his last 8 attempts apparently.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Poor performance by Dundalk tonight.

Sligo deserved at least a point from that game, they spurned two good chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Poor performance by Dundalk tonight.

Sligo deserved at least a point from that game, they spurned two good chances.

We weren't great at all. Didn't see the penalty so can't comment on it but the referee had great game tonight. Both teams tried to play football and he let it flow. Barely knew he was there, some difference with the buffoon we had last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Superb game in Terryland tonight. Draw probably a fair result overall. Ref had a shocker too.

doncarlos wrote: »
    We weren't great at all. Didn't see the penalty so can't comment on it but the referee had great game tonight. Both teams tried to play football and he let it flow. Barely knew he was there, some difference with the buffoon we had last week.

He could have given a penalty anytime Dundalk had a corner. I've never seen such wrestling in the LOI.

Agree about the ref. He spotted everything and was in control.

How Sligo are where they are is a mystery. They may not have created much, but not many away teams dominate the middle of the park in Oriel. Sligo did that tonight, until Shields came on and order was restored.

• Advertisement

Cork beating Dundalk may have been the worst thing that could have happened them. They played poorly but came away from that game thinking they were world beaters. They've fairly had their eyes opened in the last three games.

Really need a big result against Rovers on Monday.

How Sligo are where they are is a mystery. They may not have created much, but not many away teams dominate the middle of the park in Oriel. Sligo did that tonight, until Shields came on and order was restored.

Would the game have been different if we played our usual formation rather than 4-4-2. They had an extra man in midfield which stifled Finn and O'Donnell.

Kilduff is the worst player I've seen under Kenny. Beyond dreadful. Shame young O'Connor got injured last weak as we are very light up top and it could easily come back to haunt us

doncarlos wrote: »
    Cork beating Dundalk may have been the worst thing that could have happened them. They played poorly but came away from that game thinking they were world beaters. They've fairly had their eyes opened in the last three games.

Really need a big result against Rovers on Monday.

You are right about that.

They were poor in Oriel, got a lucky penalty, and thought they had won the league.

They went into subsequent games thinking they had already won the league. It is no surprise that Caulfield has now benched Maguire, for example.

That was immensely satisfying:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We drop points. Everyone else who is relevant to a potential title push don't.

Big week ahead. 3 home games between Friday and Friday of Harps, Shamrock and SPA. We will be needing 7 points from that. But feel if we drop points again v Harps the atmosphere around the ground will be pretty toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yep awful result last night considering defeats in other away games.

I thought Caulfield deserved another crack but this is not good enough.

Yep awful result last night considering defeats in other away games.

I thought Caulfield deserved another crack but this is not good enough.

Ye were on the lucky side of a point too. Ye played some decent stuff going forward but we should have three if not four, your back four is very get at-able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

We were absolutely crap last night, bray deserved something from that game just lack that final ball in. lots of good positions, very few clear chances. Definitely the better team on the night.

gimmick wrote: »
    We drop points. Everyone else who is relevant to a potential title push don't.

Big week ahead. 3 home games between Friday and Friday of Harps, Shamrock and SPA. We will be needing 7 points from that. But feel if we drop points again v Harps the atmosphere around the ground will be pretty toxic.

Like I've said in previous threads I think all teams will drop points this season. Could be a very low league winning points total this season.

Cork drawing any of those games in isolation would be acceptable but to drop points in three games in a row to teams they should be beating is very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Does anyone know if the League Cup games are shown on Trackchamp?
    gimmick wrote: »

I think we'll need 9/9. We need to win the four games left in the series. 24 points would be a good return from the series. Dropping points in any game would have us at just a two-point average. That'd have us up there, but probably wouldn't have us winning the league. Wins against two sides around us would go a long way to making up for the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

One thing I noticed last night at Galway v Cork: at one stage of the game the cork skipper was knocked out cold for a minute or so. Both teams physio's came on the pitch, followed by a man who may have been a doctor. The Red Cross brought on the stretcher. It looked like the doctor was going through counting fingers etc with the player, and wasn't happy with the outcome. The player was allowed play on for a few mins before being subbed. Is there a protocol around this? Should the player not have to come off automatically?
    It was only made more noticeable by the doctor ( if if was a doctor) and the Red Cross remonstrating in the cork dugout with cork management about it. It was an odd situation.

ratracer wrote: »
    One thing I noticed last night at Galway v Cork: at one stage of the game the cork skipper was knocked out cold for a minute or so. Both teams physio's came on the pitch, followed by a man who may have been a doctor. The Red Cross brought on the stretcher. It looked like the doctor was going through counting fingers etc with the player, and wasn't happy with the outcome. The player was allowed play on for a few mins before being subbed. Is there a protocol around this? Should the player not have to come off automatically?
    It was only made more noticeable by the doctor ( if if was a doctor) and the Red Cross remonstrating in the cork dugout with cork management about it. It was an odd situation.

Cork physio signalled for a substitution and Caulfield seemed to overrule and the player didn't want to come off, they took him off ten mins later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cork physio signalled for a substitution and Caulfield seemed to overrule and the player didn't want to come off, they took him off ten mins later.

He should be fined if that's the case.

Hoping we can take points down in Waterford, Gorman out for them is a big loss!

GET THE F**K IN!

Up to 3rd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With all the talk around concussion, it's time football started to take it seriously too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

NIMAN wrote: »
    With all the talk around concussion, it's time football started to take it seriously too.

That's what I would have thought too. There is little doubt in my ( and others at the game) mind that the player should have been subbed.
    It seemed quite obvious that the doctor and the Red Cross were making this perfectly clear to Caulfield also, and so were putting responsibility firmly back in his hands!

The FAI should look at this. Does Caulfield think he is a doctor?

The FAI should look at this. Does Caulfield think he is a doctor?

He may or may not have made the call but as above it did seem like the Red Cross lad and the doctor were telling him he needed to come off and he didnt until later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good win for us last night. We scored some excellent goals particuarly the second and third goals. Defence still a little patchy but its getting better, Wexford did have a few chances but we could have easily scored more. Wexford are a game but limited side. Dont know what the sending off was for but it didnt make any difference to the result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

kksaints wrote: »
    Good win for us last night. We scored some excellent goals particuarly the second and third goals. Defence still a little patchy but its getting better, Wexford did have a few chances but we could have easily scored more. Wexford are a game but limited side. Dont know what the sending off was for but it didnt make any difference to the result.

Players, management and fans all in agreement that it was our worst 1st half performance in years. Effort & commitment is never an issue, but we failed to do the simple things properly. I think the sending off (dissent) did make a difference to what the '2nd half result' might have been. Anyway, lessons learned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He should be fined if that's the case.

he should be sacked, not fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

he should be sacked, not fined.

Regarding the concussion, the referee and his assistants have to take some blame too. The medics were practically screaming at the 4th official not to let the player back on, yet he was allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Very comfortable win in Waterford. Two wins in a row from two aways with Cobh away next weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Really entertaining 2-2 draw in Galway Friday night, end to end stuff for most of the game anyone could have won it. I do believe we have the squad to win this league, but as the weeks pass its pretty clear that Caulfield is starting to lose the head altogether now, and City fans are starting to wake up to this. He hasn't a clue what his starting 11 should be, he seems to be afraid of his own decisions, we already know he's tactically inept, we'll never win a league with him in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Four ties down for decision tonight in the EA Sports Cup. All kick offs are at 7:45

Cork City vs Waterford United at Turner's Cross
    Dundalk vs St Patrick's Athleti at Oriel Park
    Galway Utd vs Finn Harps at Eamon Deacy Park
    Shelbourne vs Bohemians at Tolka Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Omackeral wrote: »
    Four ties down for decision tonight in the EA Sports Cup. All kick offs are at 7:45

Cork City vs Waterford United at Turner's Cross
    Dundalk vs St Patrick's Athleti at Oriel Park
    Galway Utd vs Finn Harps at Eamon Deacy Park
    Shelbourne vs Bohemians at Tolka Park

And to make a bad few weeks worse, Cork City are charging 15 Euro into tonights game against Waterford, all other clubs charging a tenner.

"Fan owned club"

Would have went for tenner myself no problem.

15 quid is rip off to watch second string

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The F.A.I. set the ticket prices for the EA Cup as far as I know. Nothing to do with City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Corholio wrote: »
    The F.A.I. set the ticket prices for the EA Cup as far as I know. Nothing to do with City.

Tener everywhere else! I highly doubt the FAI made Cork charge more than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SantryRed wrote: »
    Tener everywhere else! I highly doubt the FAI made Cork charge more than anyone else.

Didn't know that, must have changed so. I'm pretty sure F.A.I. handled tickets in other years. Not surprised with some within the club internally though.

• Advertisement

Would have went for tenner myself no problem.

15 quid is rip off to watch second string

Was only messing:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jaysis, Cork could go double figures there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Jaysis, Cork could go double figures there.

and still 0-0 in the other 3

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Anyone want loan of a few goals off us?

DOGL0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I think Ciaran Gallagher is trying to beat Galway on his own... so will see how penalties go.... wait is there penalties?
    Didnt need that with Cork on Friday, even if Cowan was our only regular starter

Edit:and our horrific record in shootouts continues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Great stuff Reds.

overshoot wrote: »
    I think Ciaran Gallagher is trying to beat Galway on his own... so will see how penalties go.... wait is there penalties?
    Didnt need that with Cork on Friday, even if Cowan was our only regular starter

Edit:and our horrific record in shootouts continues!

He was MOTM by a country mile, some cracking saves and great sweeper keeping too. We should have been out of sight by half-time let alone going to pens. Some poor finishing from our lads but a wins a win and on we go to the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Great stuff Reds.

MAGIC!

May have only been the League Cup, but outplaying a Premier side for most of 120 minutes and with several chances to win it was great! First time I think I've witnessed us actually win a penalty shoot-out! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement