Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 month charge amount and usage

Options
  • 15-04-2016 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi

Just moved to Ireland from the UK and got my first full bill for 2 months of usage. I have a 2 bedroom apartment live alone and work from home. Also there is no gas so everything is powered by electric.

I used a total of 2511 Kwh in 2 months for a bill of €412 on the domestic urban plan.

Does this seem a excessive amount to use in 2 months for 1 person? Also is there a superior plan/tariff i can switch to instead of domestic urban?

Also i paid the 300 security deposit when i got set up if i switch to direct debit is this refunded?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi TooGood444,

Thank you for choosing Electric Ireland as your supplier.
    I used a total of 2511 Kwh in 2 months for a bill of €412 on the domestic urban plan.

Was your bill a reading or an estimation? You will be able to see the reading type on the front of your bill. If the bill is an estimation, you can take the accurate reading and we can issue you with a new bill.
    Also i paid the 300 security deposit when i got set up if i switch to direct debit is this refunded?

Residential customers that pay by direct debit do not need to pay a security deposit. This will be credited against your bill if you set up a direct debit. The other advantage of paying by direct debit is that you be eligible to apply for a discount off your usage. A list of our price plans can be found here.

If you would like us to take a look at your account to check your bill for you, we will need the following details:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    Do ask if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TooGood444

Thanks for your reply.

My bill was a meter reading not a estimation. I switched to direct debit and got the €300 credited towards my latest bill. Guess i just need to accept everything costs more here than the UK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Were there any outstanding charges from the period of time before you moved in, OP? You are liable only for the charges from the day you moved in. Don't let them charge you for someone else's usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

TooGood444 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

My bill was a meter reading not a estimation. I switched to direct debit and got the €300 credited towards my latest bill. Guess i just need to accept everything costs more here than the UK :)

It doesn't cost that much more.
    That bill is very very high.
    I think you need to check your heating and hot water setups.

Nah its my 2nd bill only liable from the day i moved in.

just thought it seemed excessive for 2 months kinda shocked at how much it was.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Hey

Ye i have a very weird heating system which i have no experience with. There are no radiators in the apartment just a little white box in each room which seems to regulate the temperature. Guess i need to turn it down as i don't want this bill again!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Hi

Just moved to Ireland from the UK and got my first full bill for 2 months of usage. I have a 2 bedroom apartment live alone and work from home. Also there is no gas so everything is powered by electric.

Does this seem a excessive amount to use in 2 months for 1 person? Also is there a superior plan/tariff i can switch to instead of domestic urban?

Many thanks for any assistance.
    When you moved in did you take a meter reading? if so does that number match the bill you got? If not you may be paying someone's arrears?

Check that out first
    . Just seen your posts there. if its not this then you may need to check the usage you have?

Also as you work from home you possibly have twice the usage of someone who goes out to work so someone saying their bill is 150 could equate to a 300 euro bill if they were at home all the time.

i.e. you are in the house 16hrs a day and sleep 8 so heat kettle etc are used in the 16hr period
    I go out to work so house is empty 8 hrs so not much electricity consumed in this period as I don't need heat etc?

Did you check the storage heater settings? Have you a fan heater going during the day? Any electric hungry appliances used during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Hey

Ye i have a very weird heating system which i have no experience with. There are no radiators in the apartment just a little white box in each room which seems to regulate the temperature. Guess i need to turn it down as i don't want this bill again!
    Yes check that out and see how that helps? do you have access to the meter?

If so you can do a 24 hr test -> take the reading at the start and then again 24hrs later. This will give baseline data

Fiddle about with the setting and repeat to see if you have improved things

Google the name on the boxes and see if you can find a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Seems huge - family of four here - 3 of whom don't contribute to the bill so do not understand why lights etc should be turned off/electric showers should not last indefinitely!

Gas heating so no heating costs but ours would be still uncomfortably high (in my opinion) at average c1000  units per two months (average over year).

Thanks guys some good advice.

Will have a mess about with the heating system and hope my next bill is alot less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again TooGood444,

Thank you for confirming further details. Was your first bill estimated or based on a meter-reading? We may be able to provide further insight if you private message us your account details.

Just to advise in general: when a customer registers at a new address, their first bill would just be from the point of the meter-reading submitted for that registration, so this would prevent billing of any previous balance.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Meter was read on both bills, the first one from the day i moved in so i don't expect i am paying for previous usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again TooGood448,

Thank you for confirming.

If you send us the account details in question, stating you are the account-holder, we can investigate this further for you either this evening (we are here on Boards and our other social media channels until 6pm) or on Monday.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

sent you a PM

TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

turn off everything, then turn on each item individually, check the meter usage on each for a minute, see how many watts each use, you will find the culprit easily this way, then deal with it accordingly, it may be slow, but it is sure

Advertisement