Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LEAF SatNav map update

• 15-04-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone done a SatNav map update on a LEAF?

They are expensive from Nissan (€200+).

Can they be got independent of Nissan?
    What is involved in updating them? Just buy and swap the SD card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

seems expensive, and what what I have read, even an updated package , is not always accurate

I have no Idea why car manufacturers don't use Android, it's free and includes Google maps of course.

And above all, it's far better than the crap software on most other head units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

as car satnavs go 200 euros isn't too bad.

whats the latest map version , anyone know

my MY2016 isn't bad, with the exception of the new stretch of the M11 is seems to be largely correct. It does take some strange routing decisions at times

as for Android, I prefer not you use the Google personal data collector software thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

BoatMad wrote: »
    as car satnavs go 200 euros isn't too bad.

whats the latest map version , anyone know

my MY2016 isn't bad, with the exception of the new stretch of the M11 is seems to be largely correct. It does take some strange routing decisions at times

as for Android, I prefer not you use the Google personal data collector software thanks

Since you have a MY16 could you check what version is running on your unit and post it here. Surely a brand new car has the latest!... but maybe not.

Still, if you could post the version you have it will be one data point for the rest of us.

KCross wrote: »
    Since you have a MY16 could you check what version is running on your unit and post it here. Surely a brand new car has the latest!... but maybe not.

Still, if you could post the version you have it will be one data point for the rest of us.

will do later, SWMBO has car now :mad:

• Advertisement

Just checked , cant see anywhere to check map version on screen

Just checked , cant see anywhere to check map version on screen

I was able to check mine.
    Menu-->information-->version

It showed

Map Version: 14-15YEAR
    Program version: 100

I guess that means I have the latest map. It's missing roads that are there with a few years!

I was able to check mine.
    Menu-->information-->version

It showed

Map Version: 14-15YEAR
    Program version: 100

I guess that means I have the latest map. It's missing roads that are there with a few years!

Thanks

Mine is
    14-15 year

Program version : 064

I see various references to 2015-2016 maps for Nissan on eBay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The nissan sat nav and general interface is poor enough that i never use it. I have the phone docked in front of it. Would not consider paying 200 for it when there are umpteen better free sat nav apps available.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    The nissan sat nav and general interface is poor enough that i never use it. I have the phone docked in front of it. Would not consider paying 200 for it when there are umpteen better free sat nav apps available.

strange , I find it quite acceptable, used with the voice recognition , its very usable

I note that navigation.com mentions this NISSAN-EV-EU-15, as the latest update , I wonder is that the same as in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

strange , I find it quite acceptable, used with the voice recognition , its very usable

**** me, the sat nav interface (and most other controls on screen) is terrible, even dangerous. All those icons (some very small) placed right next to each other on a touchscreen? A downright hazard to operate on the move - it must surely violate the most basic principles of sat nav design. This is for the 2015MY BTW, but I think the newer version is similar?

Edit: and the voice command sucks, but then again that's common to most manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

**** me, the sat nav interface (and most other controls on screen) is terrible, even dangerous. All those icons (some very small) placed right next to each other on a touchscreen? A downright hazard to operate on the move - it must surely violate the most basic principles of sat nav design. This is for the 2015MY BTW, but I think the newer version is similar?

Edit: and the voice command sucks, but then again that's common to most manufacturers.

You aren't supposed to use the functions when driving. If you need to check sat nav, or anything else that takes more than a quick glance from the road, pull over.

I find the voice recognition excellent on the MY2016 30Kw , no issues with recognition , I use it all the time, the only issue is it cant search ireland addresses

as for the layout of icons etc., I find it similar to most in car systems, the main gripe is the lack of dedicated zoom buttons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not for us. The charge points marked on it are usually wrong around here. Kinsale, bandon, midleton,, even kinsale road roundabout, all in the wrong place on the map.

The route it takes around the city is unreliable. I'm talking up one way streets the wrong way.

It's map is out of date by about 5 years, and that's in 2015 model car.

The navigation buttons for finding a location are teeny tiny and doesn't show you the predictions. The back function is not good enough. Does not always go to where you expect.

The response on the buttons is laggy sometimes.

In general far too many button presses to get to where you want. 3 MAX is what i want. 2 is ideal.

The radio is as bad. Why so few tuneable stations? It's digital for goodness sake, give me ten or twenty if I want them.

Don't even get me started on the phone bluetooth interface. Why is the 'vehicle phonebook' not common across all registered phones? Why does it only auto connect to the last phone linked, and not the one currently in the car?

I could go on and on, but I find the interface on the whole touchscreen system very amature. I know it's built of some old dreamcast tech that they bought, but crikey it's from a bygone age interms of what I expect in an UI.

Now, it's not limited to the leaf, I think it's across the whole nissan range.

Well to each his own. I have the updated head unit in the my2016

Yes it's no iPhone but it's not bad I use the sat on virtually every journey ( range computation )

The Bluetooth interface is fine my wife and I swop phones so the last thing we want is common phone books

Right now it handles two independent Bluetooth sources. My wife's phone is synced while my Spotify s playing over the second Bluetooth link..,, kewal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

the only issue is it cant search ireland addresses

Living and driving in Ireland, would the inability to search for addresses in Ireland not be a slight issue?

Google maps all the way here. Routes are calculated depending on traffic. If there is an accident or delay en route to your destination, you are given the option of a faster route, thanks to the data collection that Google is performing. If listening to the radio, the audio dips when voice directions are being given.

Personally, I couldn't give two ****s what data Google collect. They make my journeys as efficient as possible on a daily basis. This alone is helping emissions for those who are driving ICE cars, never mind helping losses of man hours in businesses across the country due to people getting to work more quickly after being rerouted due to accidents.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You aren't supposed to use the functions when driving. If you need to check sat nav, or anything else that takes more than a quick glance from the road, pull over.

????, theres switching the radio to another channel, gone, watching the eco-meter, reading the dash instruments, all gone too.

not to mention pulling over to the side of a motorway unless broken down is also illegal

Operating a car isn't illegal !!!:pac:

Del2005 wrote: »

Don't agree (partly). Sure, you shouldn't be entering addresses etc while driving - I'm surprised they didn't use my old Lexus method - quite a few of the options were greyed out and not selectable while the car was moving. However, simple procedures should be easy to do while driving - surely that's the point of such a system? I actually rarely use the sat nav - in particular I'm talking about simply selecting a stored phone number to ring. The listings are placed right next to each other, on small 'buttons' making it very difficult to select one without taking your eyes off the road for a few moments; I've often pressed the wrong number. This flies in the face of the most basic interface design and should not have got beyond the first stage of development. It wouldn't matter as much if there was a decent voice command system, but it's as inaccurate as most of these things, but much more cumbersome to use with its ridiculous menu system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Quick question on the On Board Nissan Navi package, while updates are chargeable (new roads etc), Can you get an update of charging station Free of Charge , ie whenever new charging station are installed

k123456 wrote: »
    Quick question on the On Board Nissan Navi package, while updates are chargeable (new roads etc), Can you get an update of charging station Free of Charge , ie whenever new charging station are installed

The new charging stations get added via the telemetry and independent of the version of the map you have.

The main question on the thread was whether anyone had done an update of the maps and what is the latest version.

No one has said they have updated the maps.
    The latest version, unless someone can prove otherwise, seems to be the "14-15YEAR" version.... which is out of date by several years.

Has anyone updated the LEAF maps? Whats the procedure, besides paying Nissan an over inflated price for it.

It wouldn't matter as much if there was a decent voice command system, but it's as inaccurate as most of these things, but much more cumbersome to use with its ridiculous menu system.

you find

" Go Home " to be cumbersome lol

you find

" Go Home " to be cumbersome lol

No, haven't tried it. But I certainly find the following majorly cumbersome:

Me: Presses phone button.
    Car: "Please say Phone, Navigation, Carwings or Information" (or whatever the options are.
    Me: "Phone".
    Car: "Please say Incoming Calls, Outgoing Calls" or a bunch of other options.
    Me: "Outgoing calls".
    Car: "Please say a number" (lists calls on screen).
    Me: say number, which the car mishears half the time because it's only one syllable.
    Car: "Please say dial number".
    Me: "for ****s sake.....".
    (and yes I know you can cut down on what the car says).

Here's how it should work:
    Me: presses phone button. "Ring the wife". Car rings the wife.

And here's how the interface should work if not using voice:
    Me: presses phone button, then presses button labelled 'the wife'. Car rings the wife.

If my 2005 Lexus could do this, there's no excuse for a 2015 Nissan.

BTW, checked my maps and it's 13-14 year. Car bought July 2015 - is this in keeping with others?

BTW, checked my maps and it's 13-14 year. Car bought July 2015 - is this in keeping with others?

No, mine is March 2015 and it has the 14-15YEAR maps.

No, mine is March 2015 and it has the 14-15YEAR maps.

Hmmmmm......

No, haven't tried it. But I certainly find the following majorly cumbersome:

Me: Presses phone button.
    Car: "Please say Phone, Navigation, Carwings or Information" (or whatever the options are.
    Me: "Phone".
    Car: "Please say Incoming Calls, Outgoing Calls" or a bunch of other options.
    Me: "Outgoing calls".
    Car: "Please say a number" (lists calls on screen).
    Me: say number, which the car mishears half the time because it's only one syllable.
    Car: "Please say dial number".
    Me: "for ****s sake.....".
    (and yes I know you can cut down on what the car says).

Here's how it should work:
    Me: presses phone button. "Ring the wife". Car rings the wife.

And here's how the interface should work if not using voice:
    Me: presses phone button, then presses button labelled 'the wife'. Car rings the wife.

If my 2005 Lexus could do this, there's no excuse for a 2015 Nissan.

well in the My2016, you just say "Call last name first name " , directly after the voice recognition button press

so just create an address book called " Wife The" and then you can say " Call The wife"

OSI wrote: »
    Doesn't your car record journey and car information and send it to Nissan on a regular basis anyway?

indeed including , GPS location, but at least its not sent to the Borg (Google)

• Advertisement

well in the My2016, you just say "Call last name first name " , directly after the voice recognition button press

so just create an address book called " Wife The" and then you can say " Call The wife"

Checked mine this morning to confirm and I guess the MY16 has had a significant usability update - mine is as above, a big bloody series of menus rather than "call the wife" etc.

Advertisement