Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To bee or not to bee!?

• 15-04-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Bailey seems hell-bent on trying to eat bees lately(!).. Does anyone's dog do this? Will it sting him on the way down or is it only if the bee actually stings where they release the sting...if he swallows it I'm assuming the sting is still attached to the bee's bum so maybe ok? ...I'm slightly worried about him getting stung on his floppy tongue(!)=€€'s :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Yes mine do it & one of their faces swelled up huge! Always have Zirtek syrup handy! In fact I usually have it in the car too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well I have the zirtek but I'm going to need a defibrillator at this rate because he's going to give my Mum a heart attack doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

bring some treats instead and condition him to ignore the bees

He has a solid leave it command but usually he's seen the bee before us so I can't really intercept it. Not sure how I'd teach him to ignore it unless I took around the corner to the bee hives in the Botanics lol :p

No offence ...but that doesn't sound like a solid "leave it" :D

He wouldn't be so quick as to catch the bee at fist sight would he?
    When ours go after insects it usually takes a few attempts before they get them ...this is where you need to intervene ...I wouldn't risk any of our dogs getting stung by a bee/wasp/hornet.

With all of ours we seem to have managed that they leave stingy insects alone (the specific colour scheme and sound seems to help not just us with identifying them).

Maybe it was the genuinely concerned/panicked "no" that we shout at them ...or perhaps the relieved "good boy/girl" after they stopped ...but ours seem to have got the message that bees/wasps/hornets are not for hunting/eating

• Advertisement

I feel TK123's pain. I have terrier's. They are far too quick for the bees/wasps/beetles etc & even with keeping a close eye they will get them plus mine love being outside in my garden!

Mine respect the leave it comment unless their target is more fun! After all they have a high prey drive! As they should!

peasant wrote: »
    No offence ...but that doesn't sound like a solid "leave it" :D

He wouldn't be so quick as to catch the bee at fist sight would he?

He's already eaten a load of them he's that quick! ... And has won a prize for his leave it :o so I'm more than happy with it.

It's beginning to sound like we're really lucky ..none of ours have ever eaten a stingy thingy (that we know of :D)

Childhood memories coming back - I remember seeing our GSD eating bees which we thought should kill him - us being 4 or 5 lol......he also ate my stew one time when I was eating it at the little table we'd sit at as kids and I turned my back... another time he took and ate my Golly bar - STICK AND ALL!!! :(.. :p

I was a terrible child. I used to catch the bees in a jam jar with flowers in the bottom of it. You got brownie points from your friends if you caught a red arsed one.

Now I seldom see any bees & not even many wasps.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »

Well as I said there's a load of hives around the corner from us!! I'm dying to get my hands on the honey if they start selling it - I have allergies so think it could be my elixir lol! :pac::pac::pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    Well as I said there's a load of hives around the corner from us!! I'm dying to get my hands on the honey if they start selling it - I have allergies so think it could be my elixir lol! :pac::pac::pac:

I will be around with my Jam Jar!

Get me some honey! Hayfever seems earlier then ever this year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »
    I was a terrible child. I used to catch the bees in a jam jar with flowers in the bottom of it. You got brownie points from your friends if you caught a red arsed one.

Lol, we used to do this too! Mind you, we let them go when we'd finished gawping at them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

DBB wrote: »
    Lol, we used to do this too! Mind you, we let them go when we'd finished gawping at them :D

I used to do this too... feel a bit guilty now with the shortage of funny bees (although we did let them go after a bit of a shake!!!)

When my dog was a pup she got her head into a wasp nest. I was so worried her face swelled up like a football. She was ok after a trip to the vet and some antihistamines... the problem was that for at least a month after she kept trying to get back to where she had found the nest (it was in the garden and we had it removed the same day she got stung!!!)

Advertisement