Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Sandyford

Options
  • 15-04-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, we are moving from Dublin south west to Wicklow town with the family (so happy!).

I work in Central Park BUsiness Campus (Leopardstown) and I know all about commuting by car, but I was wondering if there was an alternative to that.
    Train? Bus? Boat? I am open to any kind of suggestion. The only thing is, I'd rather avoid changing 2/3 train and 4/5 buses...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Only real option is to drive all the way, or to drive as far as a Luas stop where you can get parking and then go by the Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lupo

drake70 wrote: »
    Hi Lupo,

Try this site:

Thanks Drake, I'll have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

The 133 bus goes from Wicklow Town to Dublin City via the N11. I'm not sure of the exact route, and the online timetable is misleading according to a friend who uses the service occasionally. Maybe give Dublin Bus a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Did that exact route for 10 years..... 4 of them excruciatingly by public transport.

Take the car.
    The bus is twice the journey time for the same money with no flexibility.
    Back when I did commute by Bus Eireann, it was via 'whites cross' which is where Leopardstown Road intersects with the N11.
    It was not without its calamities, the bus driver pulling out around a stopped DB and not noticing us saps waving at him occurred more than once.

I do miss Baan Thai though, the only thing I miss from Central Park!

• Advertisement

Did that exact route for 10 years..... 4 of them excruciatingly by public transport.

Is going by car much better? I guess, being that I have to be at work pretty early (by 8) my bigger problem would be to come back. It shouldn't be terrible though, as I normally get off work between 4.30 and 5, so The biggest wave should be behind me.
    Take the car.
    The bus is twice the journey time for the same money with no flexibility.
    Back when I did commute by Bus Eireann, it was via 'whites cross' which is where Leopardstown Road intersects with the N11.
    It was not without its calamities, the bus driver pulling out around a stopped DB and not noticing us saps waving at him occurred more than once.

It's feasible though, right? I mean, my goal is to know that if I have to leave the car home for whatever reason I still have a way to get to work. I should either drive or work from home and I don't mind having a long (and mildly adventurous) trip time to time.
    What bus did you take?
    I do miss Baan Thai though, the only thing I miss from Central Park!

Can you believe I've been working there for 1.5 years now and I never been to Baan Thai?

Ruby31 wrote: »
    The 133 bus goes from Wicklow Town to Dublin City via the N11. I'm not sure of the exact route, and the online timetable is misleading according to a friend who uses the service occasionally. Maybe give Dublin Bus a ring.

Thanks Ruby, I'll check the route and the stops!

Anyone knows if the 133 only stop in Wicklow would be the Grand Hotel or if there are more?
    It looks like the 133 has a stop which is 10 mins on foot away from my workplace, so it should be an option after all.
    Now I only need to find out the closest stop to my home (Rosehill)...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

lupo wrote: »
    Anyone knows if the 133 only stop in Wicklow would be the Grand Hotel or if there are more?
    It looks like the 133 has a stop which is 10 mins on foot away from my workplace, so it should be an option after all.
    Now I only need to find out the closest stop to my home (Rosehill)...

Plenty of stops. It starts at The Monument/Flannerys and goes round the back of the town before getting to the Grand. Would the Montessori be he closest stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It's feasible though, right? I mean, my goal is to know that if I have to leave the car home for whatever reason I still have a way to get to work. I should either drive or work from home and I don't mind having a long (and mildly adventurous) trip time to time.
    What bus did you take?

It's feasible for sure.... and is probably better nowadays that the route is hourly, rather than 1 bus every two hours as it used to be..

Allow at least 15 mins walk to/from the N11.

Beware of the fares though..
    An adult 10-journey ticket is €63.
    The fuel costs from here to Central Park are not close to that.

We bailed on the bus because not only was it a bus, it was also cheaper!

• Advertisement

It's feasible for sure.... and is probably better nowadays that the route is hourly, rather than 1 bus every two hours as it used to be..

Allow at least 15 mins walk to/from the N11.

That's Ok, I used to walk for the same amount of time (in any weather) when I worked for my previous company. I even liked the exercise!
    Beware of the fares though..
    An adult 10-journey ticket is €63.
    The fuel costs from here to Central Park are not close to that.

We bailed on the bus because not only was it a bus, it was also cheaper!

I was kind of expecting that. Luckily it will just be a temporary solution. As long as we'll find a car for my wife to bring the kids to school I'll start driving.

Do you still leave in Wicklow and commute to another part of Dublin now, or you got a local job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Yes bus starts from back of wicklow gaol on the hour and up kilmantain hill up convent hill theres a stop outside hillview and another over by the school at ballynerrin lower.

Then the bus swings right down the marlton road towards the grand hotel

Nearest stop to luas would be just past loughlinstown hospital under cherrywood flyover be about 10 minutes walk up to brides glen luas stop

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Get a motorbike or (BIG) scooter.

How long it will take you and how much hassle it will be will depend of course on the your work start and end times. If you are a 9-5 or thereabouts then either by bus or car you will hit the pinch points of the N11/M50 at the peak times. Going by bus at least you can read and do some work or home administration.

I travel from Bray to Clonskeagh by motorbike, it takes 25-30 minutes. No matter what the time of day or weather I know I will be at my desk or home in that time. When the traffic is moving I move along with it and when it is stuck I pass through it.

Now I use a big scooter and it is just twist and go. Is it dangerous or risky? I would say on that journey, you are on motorway for 95% of the time and any additional risk is very low.

Get a good quality bike and safety gear (overalls, gloves etc) and you should make that journey in the given 50-55 minutes.

I was not raised a 'biker' but a safety course and enjoy.

It is a very nice ride on a spring or summer morning. If the winds are high you can stay on the N11 all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Is going by car much better? I guess, being that I have to be at work pretty early (by 8) my bigger problem would be to come back. It shouldn't be terrible though, as I normally get off work between 4.30 and 5, so The biggest wave should be behind me.

I live in Glenealy and work in Dundrum and I find that the M50/N11 gets very busy from 4:30pm onwards, especially the section from carrickmines to bray north which can sometimes move along at barely walking pace. If i'm not on the M50 by 4:15pm I ignore it and take the back roads via Sandyford-kilternan-enniskerry-roundwood. Downside is you don't save much time as it takes about an hour but the upside is no stress from being in gridlock as you are always moving and it's a lovely drive on a sunny day!

Same thing in the morning - if i'm not on the N11 by 7:15am, I don't bother and just take the back roads.

BTW - try and avoid St Mary's national school at slate cabin lane after 08:30am as it gets jammers due to the number of people dropping their kids off at school.

dogmatix wrote: »
    I live in Glenealy and work in Dundrum and I find that the M50/N11 gets very busy from 4:30pm onwards, especially the section from carrickmines to bray north which can sometimes move along at barely walking pace. If i'm not on the M50 by 4:15pm I ignore it and take the back roads via Sandyford-kilternan-enniskerry-roundwood. Downside is you don't save much time as it takes about an hour but the upside is no stress from being in gridlock as you are always moving and it's a lovely drive on a sunny day!

Same thing in the morning - if i'm not on the N11 by 7:15am, I don't bother and just take the back roads.

BTW - try and avoid St Mary's national school at slate cabin lane after 08:30am as it gets jammers due to the number of people dropping their kids off at school.

Thanks doogmatix, that's precious info. My working hours are 8 to 4.30 so I should be safe(ish)...

Advertisement