Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Reality demo in Limerick?

• 15-04-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Is there anywhere around Limerick when you can try out any of the new VR headsets like Vive or Oculus Rift? I want see what all the fuss is about!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Is there anywhere around Limerick when you can try out any of the new VR headsets like Vive or Oculus Rift? I want see what all the fuss is about!

Don't know the answer but I'd also like to know! I suspect they'll have them in UL perhaps befriend a student!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What kind of VR experience are you looking for? You can pick up a decent headset in Dunnes for €20, or online for ~€10, you can also pick up a Google Cardboard for less than a euro. Personally I have the Samsung Gear VR and it's amazing, I bought it in Vodafone with my new phone so they might have demos there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Clareman wrote: »
    What kind of VR experience are you looking for? You can pick up a decent headset in Dunnes for €20, or online for ~€10, you can also pick up a Google Cardboard for less than a euro. Personally I have the Samsung Gear VR and it's amazing, I bought it in Vodafone with my new phone so they might have demos there
    Don't think the 20 euro headset is going to compete with a 900 euro HTC vive driven by a 1000 euro video card.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Don't think the 20 euro headset is going to compete with a 900 euro HTC vive driven by a 1000 euro video card.

yeah it's night and day. Anything other than a VIve or Oculus is a toy really. I've been able to play about a dozen Vive games and demoes and it is absolutely phemonenal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

There's a guy who's at the indoor car boot sale on the ballysimon road on Sundays who has one there. Not sure of his exact set up though, but he's usually pretty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it would be best to experience VR using the high end devices first rather than the phone/tablet low cost options. From what I hear, this really has to be experienced to understand its potential and I'd prefer it to be the most positive experience.

One or two of our educational centres probably have them and it would be great if there was an 'open day' for the public to show us the latest technology developments. Any academics listening? :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What is it used for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Difference between the Gear VR/Google Cardboard and the HTC Vive/Oculus Rift is like red/blue 3d cinema to modern 3d cinema.

A mate has a HTC Vive. I must call down to his place for a demo even though I suffer from motion sickness in a lot of computer games.

Here's a video demostrating a VIVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ElectricDamo

Try Fury VR, they just opened next to the old quarter.

• Advertisement

Is this where Frontier X was? Anyone remember that? :o

Advertisement