Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog grass allergy

• 15-04-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Our Jack Russell cross has had problems with his skin for the last few years especially in spring/summer. He is constantly scratching and the skin on his belly, paws and under 'arms' are raw and the skin is broken. Initially we were told is was due to his food so he was on chicken and rice for a few weeks and then introduced to a hypoallergenic food recommended by the vet. This didn't solve our issue(this was 2 years ago approx). We then went back to the vet with the same issue who said due to where the skin was irritated and he time of year that it was most likely due to pollen/grass. He was put on steroids which did stop the scratching and soreness but his weight ballooned so we went back to the vet. This time is was given non steroid tablets. We gave these a go for a few months but didn't find them to be helping. Back to the drawing board we went and the vet recommended having allergy tests done. These came back that he had a moderate allergy to a few different varieties of grass and a serum was produced particular to him. He has been having this injected since Sept/Oct and from my understanding a small amount of he allergen is administered in order to 'desensitise' him to this. My OH cut the grass for the first time the other day and since then the poor thing has been tearing lumps out of himself. We've put his thunder shirt on him to stop him tearing the skin and coming in contact with the grass but I'm wondering has anyone any better suggestions as we are at our wits end and can only imagine how he feels!
    Apologies for the long post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Wash him regularly with a gentle soap- doesn't need to be a dog one, just something not-harsh. I'm not saying he's dirty, I'm just saying that if you can keep his skin pretty clear of the allergens then he'll be more comfortable. I'd also in your position go back to the vet and avoid letting him on the grass as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Latatian wrote: »
    Wash him regularly with a gentle soap- doesn't need to be a dog one, just something not-harsh. I'm not saying he's dirty, I'm just saying that if you can keep his skin pretty clear of the allergens then he'll be more comfortable. I'd also in your position go back to the vet and avoid letting him on the grass as much as possible.
    Thanks for your reply, we have been wiping him down when he comes in(which he seems to really enjoy) and we wash him regularly but maybe we'll increase this and see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm wondering if using something like Andrex toilet wipes would be better - as the moistness would capture the pollen better maybe?

Also wondering if putting him in a regular tshirt (his head through head hole and front paws through arm holes and then tied up on his back near his tail) before he goes out may also help? I would hope it would stop the pollen getting on his skin in the first place?

Good luck. Bless him.

Advertisement