Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options
  • 15-04-2016 3:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

http://connachttribune.ie/eyre-square-branded-a-dirty-filthy-kip-by-councillor-224/

Redevelopment was meant to cost €6 million but rose to €15million. City council still owe €4 million for this project. For the price they paid we should have a state of the art park, a envy of every city in the country but instead we have a under used barely usable waste of space.

In order to repay the outstanding debt city council have been redirecting funding from local amenities such as play grounds and parks. Someone from city council should be held accountable for this series of fiascos

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Stuffing sods of the old Eyre Square turf into their pockets, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

under used barely usable waste of space.

I don't doubt the series of fiascos bit.

But under-used, barely-usable? Really?

What would you expect to see there, in order to make it usable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I don't doubt the series of fiascos bit.

But under-used, barely-usable? Really?

What would you expect to see there, in order to make it usable?

Would you bring your family there for a picnic? Or to pass a few hours? For 15 + million ud expect more than a few bits of green grass. It's a no go area for families compared to Stephens green or Merrion square

Robbo wrote: »
    Stuffing sods of the old Eyre Square turf into their pockets, no doubt.

I'd imagine the tendering for the project wasn't transparent and big money with to consultants who recommended stuff that a 4 years come up with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

It's a disgrace. 15 m for a few raised beds and a lawn. Throw in some blockwork benches and a 50 grand playpark and you're maybe getting to half a mill. I know they had to move some pipes or something but I know when I've been had and Eyre square was a travesty for the people of Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Can confirm it doesn't have a family friendly vibe. Ironically the cause for this tend to congregate around the playground. But it's a crap playground anyway.

Sad to think money is being diverted from other amenities being they get vandalized so often. Wish they could plunk down for cameras which they managed for the bottle banks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

People had the opportunity to object to Eyre Square redevelopment but not that many cared enough. Fair play to Cllr Conneely for demanding explanations etc.
    Also did the developer not successfully sue the Council for breach of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's too small imo to be anything other than a small city park where you can have concerts (Saw Doctors played there 10 years ago!) and a bit of bushing and ball kickabout in the summer.
    It's not family picnic friendly but I don't think it was intended as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its a through way and always has been, dont think ive ever seen it used as somewhere for family picnics. Its used by hundreds of people for lunch/lazing around when the weather is nice so to say its barely used is nonsense.

Bring back jousting and the gallows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Bring back jousting and the gallows.

They've moved that to Supermacs.
    Festivities starts around 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They've moved that to Supermacs.
    Festivities starts around 1am

Speaking of Supermacs, there was a few short comments about the square on GBFM yesterday morning, Mr Keith was on about Mr. Cllr. Padraig Conneely & his campaign to right the wrong that is Eyre Square. They muted the suggestion that maybe sponsorship might be a way to revamp the mess one more time and suggested it might be renamed to Supermacs plaza ...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

instead we have a under used barely usable waste of space.

Ha ha hilarious coming from you. by far and away the best and longest use of eyre square is the Christmas market. Of course using it damaged a bit of grass so you don't want it used after all....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Ha ha hilarious coming from you. by far and away the best and longest use of eyre square is the Christmas market. Of course using it damaged a bit of grass so you don't want it used after all....

OP only wants to complain about the council so even contradicting stances will be used, he admitted before the chip is due to the council not replying to his letters

OP only wants to complain about the council so even contradicting stances will be used, he admitted before the chip is due to the council not replying to his letters

The op was to highlight to people new to the city what has happened and what is happening with the resources and money city council use and still repaying for JFK. I'd appreciate if you kept on topic, if Uve nothing constructive good or bad to add keep it to urself, Re: replying to letter, what u talking about Willis

Its a through way and always has been, dont think ive ever seen it used as somewhere for family picnics. Its used by hundreds of people for lunch/lazing around when the weather is nice so to say its barely used is nonsense.

Indeed. It's not got a family picnic vibe - but then you wouldn't expect the city-centre to have this, when the beach is so close.

I've been thinking about all the uses I've seen for it:

Weekdays, lots of local office workers eat lunch there: I've done it, and know that on a hot summer day it's hard to find a spare seat. And lots of socially disadvantaged people (unkindly called homeless, winos, nutters, etc by some) hang out there with their friends when the weather's good.

After school and weekends, lots of teenagers hang out there with their friends during daylight hours. Many play ball-games on the lower grass area (despite signs saying not to). Scateboarders make good use of the area at the top, despite not having any dedicated facilities for them.

Every day - lots of tourists take photos of the sails and Browne Doorway. There's a kiosk which was used for tourist information and was busy (not open in winter - and I wonder if it's still in use ). Walking tours leave from outside the Skeff.

The concrete/tarmac area at the top is used for viewing stands for the Macnas and Paddies Day parades, for hosting radio outside-broadcast units during major events eg race week. The mobile cinema parks there during the film festival. Actually there was a tent and festival HQ there during one recent film-festival. The Occupy group held a camp there (whatever you think of their politics/approach - they made use of the space). There's a motor-cycle group comes to town once a year and shows off their vehicles there.

The grass area at the bottom has been used as a performance venue during the last couple of Arts festivals at least (maybe longer, I can't remember). Culture Night normally sees at least one event there: I grumped the year it was chalk-graffiti on the fountain sails, but it was use. Another year, children from a local school made a knitted patchwork blanket to turn the fountain into a more striking piece of art.

The shared road/footpath outside the Skeff is used for displaying cars during the motor rally, and for boarding races buses during race week.

The area outside Supermacs has local street-traders with regular day-time pitches, year-round . And at night it becomes a containment-zone for kids falling out of the nightclubs (love it or hate it they're citizens too, using a public space).

Christmas Market - five weeks of pretty solid use of most parts of the square.

Under-used? Nope ...

Exactly
    Indeed. It's not got a family picnic vibe

lots of socially disadvantaged people (unkindly called homeless, winos, nutters, etc by some) hang out there with their friends when the suns out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Exactly

Glossing over the rest of the post I see. Why not talk about the points raised by MrsOb?

Glossing over the rest of the post I see. Why not talk about the points raised by MrsOb?

Hi Ben,

Someone from city council should be held accountable for this series of fiascos but some posters just want to poke holes, belittle contributors and push forward their own adgenda

The orginally point of this thread and I'd like to bring it back on topic is to highlight that a massive amount of money (15m) was spent redeveloping the square. There is a outstanding debt of Just under a third owed by city council who are diverting funds away from necessary & essential projects to cover up the mess they created over 10 years ago.

Ok, so even if we bring back the gallows and hang a city official at the top of the square - how's that going to change the situation? The developer still went broke. The money was still spent. It still needs to be paid back, and ticket sales to a hanging aren't likely to generate that amount of revenue.

If you want to start a thread about local government incompetence, you can. Give it a title which makes your intentions clear.

But it might help if you had some solutions in mind instead of being out for a rant.

• Advertisement

Ok, so even if we bring back the gallows and hang a city official at the top of the square - how's that going to change the situation? The developer still went broke. The money was still spent. It still needs to be paid back, and ticket sales to a hanging aren't likely to generate that amount of revenue.

If you want to start a thread about local government incompetence, you can. Give it a title which makes your intentions clear.

But it might help if you had some solutions in mind instead of being out for a rant.

All I'm trying to do is create awareness but I guess posters will will always use the easy n childish option and Poke holes at every opportunity. Before anyone can come up with solutions questions need to be answered & then answers questions. How was tender awarded? What was the process? Was there a check into the builder? Who carried this out? Who were these consultants? How were they picked? What did they consult on? Who decided to stagnated the loan out over 20+years? How did they decide this? Just a few of the questions that no one wants to give the answers to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The area would be improved by railing it in making an enclosed space and not a throughway. Also employ a park warden to keep it tidy and remove any trouble makers.

The railings around St. Nicholas' used to be around Eyre Square.

I don't see railings working - it is used as a thoroughfare and the hard areas are useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

All I'm trying to do is create awareness but I guess posters will will always use the easy n childish option and Poke holes at every opportunity. Before anyone can come up with solutions questions need to be answered & then answers questions. How was tender awarded? What was the process? Was there a check into the builder? Who carried this out? Who were these consultants? How were they picked? What did they consult on? Who decided to stagnated the loan out over 20+years? How did they decide this? Just a few of the questions that no one wants to give the answers to

This is a discussion forum if you are unhappy with people having an opinion maybe post somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Before anyone can come up with solutions questions need to be answered & then answers questions. How was tender awarded? What was the process? Was there a check into the builder? Who carried this out? Who were these consultants? How were they picked? What did they consult on? Who decided to stagnated the loan out over 20+years? How did they decide this? Just a few of the questions that no one wants to give the answers to

So make an FOI request.

saabsaab wrote: »
    The area would be improved by railing it in making an enclosed space and not a throughway. Also employ a park warden to keep it tidy and remove any trouble makers.

Agree completely. That would allow the area to be monitored. It could still function as a through way though. Think Merrion Sq and Stephen's Green.

Before anyone can come up with solutions questions need to be answered & then answers questions. How was tender awarded? What was the process? Was there a check into the builder? Who carried this out? Who were these consultants? How were they picked? What did they consult on? Who decided to stagnated the loan out over 20+years? How did they decide this? Just a few of the questions that no one wants to give the answers to

So make an FOI request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

While i agree it has many uses throughout the year. I think its badly kept. Grass and flower bads seem to be in bad condition.

Area around the public toilets and tourist box looks dirty.

Maybe its better kept in the summer i cant remember.

I much prefer millenium park. In terms of how well its kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As said by a poster here similar parks have railings to control access and depending on the gate placement it would allow some cross access. No need to re-use the old railings new ones could be made.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

15 million.
    Bit of hard landscaping and few raised beds.
    Some grass seed here and there.

A 2015 graduate from the botanic gardens could design something better with a pencil ruler compass and a4 piece of paper.

The emperor's new clothes again.

Advertisement