Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options

Comments

Wait.

I thought it was called Palace Grounds.

An Fhaiche Mhór

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

This thread has finally gone full retard.

Everybody read this^^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

biko wrote: »
    Thread renamed (for a ittle while) so there is no confusion
    Or maybe added confusion
    Either works

Thought a moderators jobs was to keep threads on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I've often heard people say lets chill out on the grass, pity we can't do that

I sat on it today it's great try it or just complain about nothing it's up to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm now lost..... can someone explain exactly where is Kennedy park???

I'm now lost..... can someone explain exactly where is Kennedy park???
    It's the official name for the squarey part of Eyre Square.

JFK spoke there on his visit to Ireland.
    Audio

Film

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I had a couple of tourists asking me today who was going to be playing there. They thought it was being corralled off for a gig.
    I don't think they believed me when I told them the real reason for the barriers. They laughed anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There was a time we used to get bitterly divided over the best take-away. Now we're having pages and pages of bickering about a bit of limp grass.

Lads. Seriously. Listen to yourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The clue is in the name.

The official Irish name for the place that is Eyre Square is "An Fhaiche Mor" or the "the Big Green".

• Advertisement

But is it called Eyre Square or Kennedy Park?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Its already being said in newspapers that the market if it does happen this year will not be permitted on the grass. Accept this and move on. If you want overpriced food and beer - move to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Market should be based on crafted goods based locally, not crap you can get in pound shops/online.

Big chains should not be the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The clue is in the name.

The official Irish name for the place that is Eyre Square is "An Fhaiche Mor" or the "the Big Green".

Congratulations, many people have told me that
    "An Fhaiche Mor" doesn't translate as Eyre Square. You're the first who's said what it does mean.

(I still haven't heard anyone calling it that, though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The clue is in the name.

Where did you get this information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

biko wrote: »
    Thread renamed (for a ittle while) so there is no confusion
    Or maybe added confusion
    Either works

Go again Biko

It's actually the 'John F Kennedy Memorial Park'.

So sez Wikipedia.

Congratulations, many people have told me that
    "An Fhaiche Mor" doesn't translate as Eyre Square. You're the first who's said what it does mean.

(I still haven't heard anyone calling it that, though.)

Everyone should know at least one gaeilgeoir, stop been so pedantic & argumentive, ull be a lot happier,An Fhaiche Mhor Translates into the big green, feel free to look it up for yourself http://www.logainm.ie/en/22522

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

infraction handed to whereisgalway, Biko has issued a couple of on thread directions to keep things civil

Go again Biko

It's actually the 'John F Kennedy Memorial Park'.

So sez Wikipedia.

I'm going to edit that article, just to **** with everyone.

Could a mod re-edit the name on this thread please. This thread is to highlight that Redevelopment of one of the main areas in Galway was meant to cost €6 million but rose to €15million. City council still owe €4 million for this project. For the price they paid we should have a state of the art park, a envy of every city in the country but instead we have a under used barely usable waste of space.

In order to repay the outstanding debt city council have been redirecting funding from local amenities such as play grounds and parks.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Could a mod re-edit the name on this thread please. This thread is to highlight that Redevelopment of one of the main areas in Galway was meant to cost €6 million but rose to €15million. City council still owe €4 million for this project. For the price they paid we should have a state of the art park, a envy of every city in the country but instead we have a under used barely usable waste of space.

Thread titles can't be that long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I disagree. It has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I think it's a very catchy title too.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Very lyrical. Someone should set it to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Here's another historic picture of Eyre Square, which may be of interest to the grass-lovers.

388022.jpg

It's from http://www.rareirishstuff.com/galway-/eyre-square-galway-ireland-1910.1635.html and is watermarked pretty heavily.

But it's very clear that half of the current grass area is simply mud, and is being used for a market. I think that this is what you would call historical precedent.

As regards current year budgets being used to fund the cost over-run which occurred from the project, and the desire to see someone pay for it with their job:

1) Is the person who was responsible for the cost over-run 10 years ago still working for the council? Is this actually part of a campaign to get at one particular council employee? If so, how has this employee escaped any consequences so far?

2) What do you think that the council should do regarding the debt incurred? Refuse to pay it and risk getting declared bankrupt? Pursue the responsible former staff member for it? Expect central government to just pay it? Or???

I totally agree that the massive cost over-run should never have been allowed to happen. But given that it did, there's not much point harping on about that now: it doesn't fix the problem, or pay the debt.

I totally agree that the massive cost over-run should never have been allowed to happen. But given that it did, there's not much point harping on about that now: it doesn't fix the problem, or pay the debt.[/quote]

It simply creates awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I totally agree that the massive cost over-run should never have been allowed to happen. But given that it did, there's not much point harping on about that now: it doesn't fix the problem, or pay the debt.

If we do not learn from the past, we are doomed to repeat it.

Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Here's another historic picture of Eyre Square, which may be of interest to the grass-lovers.

388022.jpg

It's from http://www.rareirishstuff.com/galway-/eyre-square-galway-ireland-1910.1635.html and is watermarked pretty heavily.

But it's very clear that half of the current grass area is simply mud, and is being used for a market. I think that this is what you would call historical precedent.

As regards current year budgets being used to fund the cost over-run which occurred from the project, and the desire to see someone pay for it with their job:

1) Is the person who was responsible for the cost over-run 10 years ago still working for the council? Is this actually part of a campaign to get at one particular council employee? If so, how has this employee escaped any consequences so far?

2) What do you think that the council should do regarding the debt incurred? Refuse to pay it and risk getting declared bankrupt? Pursue the responsible former staff member for it? Expect central government to just pay it? Or???

Going back 100 years to review usage of the square proves very little. How about a source prior to that, say 100, 200 or more years before that? What would that show? I don't know. Perhaps an open field with trees and so on.
    We are talking about the needs of people in 2016.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

388022.jpg

In that picture the park is the land to the south behind the trees and railings. The cattle market that we see is actually being held on what are now the roads and bus stops in front of Hibernian house.

Edit: I would say the picture was taken from the Imperial Hotel also the colours were almost certainly added in afterwards.

• Advertisement

It simply creates awareness.

That doesn't solve the problem or pay the debt either. But sure you can't have an angry mob without some "awareness" of who the witch they want to burn is...

Advertisement