Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

15 million.
    Bit of hard landscaping and few raised beds.
    Some grass seed here and there.

A 2015 graduate from the botanic gardens could design something better with a pencil ruler compass and a4 piece of paper.

The emperor's new clothes again.

Thats pure rubbish there was a lot more to it than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

A crappy playpark, some disgusting automatic toilets and a large lump of rusty steel in some kind of fountain? Is it even a fountain? I'm not sure.

Apart from that, the other poster has it covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

FortySeven wrote: »
    A crappy playpark, some disgusting automatic toilets and a large lump of rusty steel in some kind of fountain? Is it even a fountain? I'm not sure.

Thats also rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well they're an improvement on the previous paedo toilets and the fountain has been there a lot longer than the refurbishment so I can't say I'm convinced by your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

saabsaab wrote: »
    The area would be improved by railing it in making an enclosed space and not a throughway. Also employ a park warden to keep it tidy and remove any trouble makers.

Why would an enclosed space be better? Personally I like my public spaces open and with high visibility. Compared to say the fenced garden down near Woodquay, which I'm not at all happy about going in to, because you're never quite sure what you'll find. Hardly anyone seems to use it, as far as I can tell, except for kids up to no good.

As for a warden, there are several council staff there every single morning cleaning the place, and gardeners working there regularly.

And the guards have the place under camera surveillance, and will happily remove genuine troublemakers. But neither they nor "park wardens" can remove people who are not breaking the law.

• Advertisement

Well they're an improvement on the previous paedo toilets and the fountain has been there a lot longer than the refurbishment so I can't say I'm convinced by your claims.

Hard landscaping, some raised beds, a crappy playpark, some benches, a few bags of grass seed, some disgusting automatic toilets and a big lump of rusty steel then. Sans fountain.

15 million? If you can find the other 14.5 million spent on that travesty I am all ears.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

the fenced garden down near Woodquay, which I'm not at all happy about going in to, because you're never quite sure what you'll find. Hardly anyone seems to use it, as far as I can tell, except for kids up to no good..

If funds didn't have to be diverted from other areas to service the debt outstanding on eyre square they be able to put much needed money in the garden near woodquay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hard landscaping, some raised beds, a crappy playpark, some benches, a few bags of grass seed, some disgusting automatic toilets and a big lump of rusty steel then. Sans fountain.

15 million? If you can find the other 14.5 million spent on that travesty I am all ears.

As I wasn't part of the process I'd direct you to a FOI request as suggested above if you're that interested in where money was spent. In fact I'm sure much of it has been widely reported down the years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thats also rubbish
    No more posts like this. Use a civil manner and engage with your own points instead of just attempting to shoot someone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's to small to be a proper park like St Stephens Green, I think it's current form is about the best we could hope for.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    It's to small to be a proper park like St Stephens Green, I think it's current form is about the best we could hope for.

I agree. It's the cost I could never understand.

I agree. It's the cost I could never understand.

FOI the Council to aid your comprehension

It costs nothing but a bit of time and energy from you. They have 4 weeks to respond

http://www.galwaycity.ie/freedom-of-information-information/

When you are done, it would be great if you could post everything to this thread for other posters

It costs nothing but a bit of time and energy from you. They have 4 weeks to respond

When you are done, it would be great if you could post everything to this thread for other posters

It is not free. Potentially costing up to €700. Since caring and being able to do anything about it are two different things I guess I will just voice my opinions on this here discussion board with other like minded souls.

It doesn't take a genius to see the gravy train rolling on by on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I'd like to do this actually. Never have done it before.
    Has anyone ever done this? What should I ask for? A copy of all records related to the Eyre Square renovation? Or do I need to be a bit more specific?

eezipc wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done this? What should I ask for? A copy of all records related to the Eyre Square renovation? Or do I need to be a bit more specific?

They can charge €20 per hour for document searches, at the pace of the civil service doing anything document related.......To a maximum of €700.

Add on 40c per copy and it could get expensive on a project that cost 15m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

15 million.
    Bit of hard landscaping and few raised beds.
    Some grass seed here and there.

A 2015 graduate from the botanic gardens could design something better with a pencil ruler compass and a4 piece of paper.

The emperor's new clothes again.

Agreed, it was a major disappointment and seemed like a massive waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Ok, so even if we bring back the gallows and hang a city official at the top of the square - how's that going to change the situation? The developer still went broke. The money was still spent. It still needs to be paid back, and ticket sales to a hanging aren't likely to generate that amount of revenue.

If you want to start a thread about local government incompetence, you can. Give it a title which makes your intentions clear.

But it might help if you had some solutions in mind instead of being out for a rant.

Wasn't John Tierney of Poolbeg & Irish Water infamy involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If funds didn't have to be diverted from other areas to service the debt outstanding on eyre square they be able to put much needed money in the garden near woodquay

They already spend money on it. The problem is the fences which imho make it dangerous.

Also you seem to lack understanding of how major public projects are usually funded. Spreading the debt over future years is quite normal, for good reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I could draw a better plan on a hanky ðŸ˜႒

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do it.
    You need to be specific, word and date your questions carefully. You also need to state that the information is not routinely in the public domain.
    You'll only be charged if copying charges etc exceed €100

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Wasn't John Tierney of Poolbeg & Irish Water infamy involved?

No, as I recall, it was in the nature of a "gift" to the people of Galway from Liam Gavin (John Tierney's predecessor)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

No, as I recall, it was in the nature of a "gift" to the people of Galway from Liam Gavin (John Tierney's predecessor)
    Joe Gavin, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do it.
    You need to be specific, word and date your questions carefully. You also need to state that the information is not routinely in the public domain.
    You'll only be charged if copying charges etc exceed €100

So I presume when I send in the initial request, they will reply to tell me how much it costs?
    Or will I get a lovely bill at the end of it all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Robbo wrote: »
    Joe Gavin, no?

Yep - cant rem where I got Liam from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So I presume when I send in the initial request, they will reply to tell me how much it costs?
    Or will I get a lovely bill at the end of it all?
    The trick is to narrow the search criteria with careful questions.
    If copy&search fees exceed €100, you will be charged. You are under no obligation to pay - therefore you won't get the data release.
    It's worth doing imho. http://foi.gov.ie/faqs/

It is not free. Potentially costing up to €700. Since caring and being able to do anything about it are two different things I guess I will just voice my opinions on this here discussion board with other like minded souls.

It doesn't take a genius to see the gravy train rolling on by on this one.

You have a distinct lack of understand of how FOI works to come out with the 700 figure as the reason for not putting in an application.

You are not obligated to pay anything, at any time if you do not wish to.

You request items in a specific manner e.g. Of the 15 mil cost quoted in the media for the eyre sq works, please provide an itemised breakdown of these costs.

This is an accounting request which they are required by law to keep detailed records for. Electronic records I might add.

From their response, you tailor your next FOI request to gather further info and so on.

However, asking something like "Show me where the money was spent on Eyre sq" will result in a mountain of documents and huge costs and very likely would be rejected as being too broad of a request.

So I ask you again, are you willing to put in a little time and effort (15 mins) to submit a request?

Before you ask, I have no interest either way in what costs were spent on the project which is why I am not digging into this myself. I am merely providing info on the tools that will get you the answers you seek

You have a distinct lack of understand of how FOI works to come out with the 700 figure as the reason for not putting in an application.

You are not obligated to pay anything, at any time if you do not wish to.

You request items in a specific manner e.g. Of the 15 mil cost quoted in the media for the eyre sq works, please provide an itemised breakdown of these costs.

This is an accounting request which they are required by law to keep detailed records for. Electronic records I might add.

From their response, you tailor your next FOI request to gather further info and so on.

However, asking something like "Show me where the money was spent on Eyre sq" will result in a mountain of documents and huge costs and very likely would be rejected as being too broad of a request.

So I ask you again, are you willing to put in a little time and effort (15 mins) to submit a request?

Before you ask, I have no interest either way in what costs were spent on the project which is why I am not digging into this myself. I am merely providing info on the tools that will get you the answers you seek

No, I don't have the time, the inclination or the money.

As I said, 'potentially costing up to €700.'

Not being obligated to pay is entirely different to the completely free that was mentioned. Now we know the extremes people can make a more informed decision.

I think your 15 minute claim is optimistic too. Submitting an foi request looks to me to be a long drawn out process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep - cant rem where I got Liam from.

Liam Gavin's Director of Services with the County Council. :)

I'm sure all these documents have been requested previously, in any case.

No, I don't have the time, the inclination or the money.

As I said, 'potentially costing up to €700.'

Not being obligated to pay is entirely different to the completely free that was mentioned. Now we know the extremes people can make a more informed decision.

I think your 15 minute claim is optimistic too. Submitting an foi request looks to me to be a long drawn out process.

Shame, ah well, I tried

For anyone else curious, I've attached screen shots of the actual FOI document. It's 2 pages. Page 1,details about you, page 2,details about what you want.

Rocket science it ain't. It's free to do and they are legally required to respond. You can even email it so it won't cost the price of a stamp!

If anyone does proceed, please come back to this thread and post any material you get for the benefit of others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Shame, ah well, I tried

For anyone else curious, I've attached screen shots of the actual FOI document. It's 2 pages. Page 1,details about you, page 2,details about what you want.

Rocket science it ain't. It's free to do and they are legally required to respond. You can even email it so it won't cost the price of a stamp!

If anyone does proceed, please come back to this thread and post any material you get for the benefit of others.

Set up a different thread if ye wish to talk about FOi, let's keep this on topic

Advertisement