Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Set up a different thread if ye wish to talk about FOi, let's keep this on topic

Yep on topic, the Square looks great today in the sun, people out having lunch, Today FM's Dermot and Dave broadcasting up the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Yep on topic, the Square looks great today in the sun, people out having lunch, Today FM's Dermot and Dave broadcasting up the top.

It looked the same in the 1990s! And the summers were better!

I even remember doing a Just-a-minute quiz with Larry outside the Skeff in the 2FM roadcaster. I won a t-shirt.

It looked the same in the 1990s! And the summers were better!

I even remember doing a Just-a-minute quiz with Larry outside the Skeff in the 2FM roadcaster. I won a t-shirt.

They must have suited you that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It is a disaster. Bare, concrete, soulless. The Hooker sail looks sad and the ugliness of its surround is terrible. Is there supposed to be a fountain there underneath it? If there is, I have never seen it on. if there isn't, then why surround it with ugly concrete?

What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

bobbyss wrote: »
    It is a disaster. Bare, concrete, soulless.

What a mess.

Except for the grass, the trees, the hedges and the flower beds.

• Advertisement

Except for the grass, the trees, the hedges and the flower beds.

Oh Yeah. I forgot the ... eh grass.

The trees. Well, I'll give you those although I don't see much of them for half the year.

The hedges? Spectacular! I must make a note to look at them the next time I am down there.

And those flower beds. ... Wow!

The area from the ... eh fountain towards Shop Street is all concrete the last time I looked.

So outside of the grass and the additional trees and the hedges and the lovely flower beds, what exactly was E10m (?) spent on?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Drainage. CCTV. Public toilets. A bust of JFK. A kids playground. Bike racks. Bus shelters. Seating. Stairway. Tourist kiosk. Flagpoles. Paving in the lower part. Security to stop ye all from nicking stuff as it was being built. And lawyers.

Actually, I have no idea. It's been finished for more than the 9 years I've been here. I'm not even clear why some people are still hung up over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I smell corruption, brown envelopes and creative accounting.

Drainage. CCTV. Public toilets. A bust of JFK. A kids playground. Bike racks. Bus shelters. Seating. Stairway. Tourist kiosk. Flagpoles. Paving in the lower part. Security to stop ye all from nicking stuff as it was being built. And lawyers.

Actually, I have no idea. It's been finished for more than the 9 years I've been here. I'm not even clear why some people are still hung up over it.

Jessu Chtris!

I didn't think Flagpoles, Drainage, Seating, Security, Stairway, Bike Racks not to mention the aforementioned Grass and Hedges and those Flower Beds and additional Trees would come to E10m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Yet you're the 3rd highest poster in the thread :)

• Advertisement

15 million.
    Bit of hard landscaping and few raised beds.
    Some grass seed here and there.

A 2015 graduate from the botanic gardens could design something better with a pencil ruler compass and a4 piece of paper.

The emperor's new clothes again.

You are absolutely wrong.

A Graduate? A 12 year old could do better on the back of an envelope.
    You don't need to be a graduate to pave -what? - a fifth ? a quarter? of the square with concrete.

Don't forget the work was not just the square itself but the area around it

Traffic lights
    Paths from Supermacs side to Meryck
    Roads
    Laying of new pipework, ducting, electrics etc
    Traffic management for however long
    The aforementioned security
    Etc etc

It's not hard to see where at least 10 million went

The rest, probably, legal, planning, consultancy and other staffing costs.

Lastly, as there were 2 sets of builders, the profit margin of both would be included (they don't work for costs).

Not justifying anything, just providing some largely absent context as the square itself did not cost 15 million but rather there were an array of other costs people seem to be forgetting (or ignoring) which would have contributed to the overall cost

Traffic lights
    Roads
    Etc etc

Lastly, as there were 2 sets of builders, the profit margin of both would be included (they don't work for costs).

Not justifying anything, just providing some largely absent context as the square itself did not cost 15 million but rather there were an array of other costs people seem to be forgetting (or ignoring) which would have contributed to the overall cost
    But that wont allow the unwashed masses to be in here furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Traffic lights
    Roads
    Etc etc

Yes I have been biting my tongue on this since it is so obvious. The Eyre Square works also included various traffic rearrangements and included measures designed to remove priority from pedestrians and give it to cars. Indeed the works in the park may have simply been a smokescreen for the new traffic plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

But that wont allow the unwashed masses to be in here furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand the situation.

My, my.

Excuse the public venting about their representatives corruption or idiocy. I suppose we have had our allotted 5 minutes hate now back to the grindstone or off to room 101 for us.

Only a fool or a vested interest could see value in that project. Only a vested interest could defend the integrity of those involved.

You can smell the strong stench of corruption on mutton island. It's clearly visible to the naked eye on Eyre sq.

A reprimand for using the word 'rubbish' was given above.

I am quite sure, but I am open to correction on this, that there is an obligation to remain civil and polite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

FortySeven wrote:
    You can smell the strong stench of corruption on mutton island. It's clearly visible to the naked eye on Eyre sq.

That's the few bags of farm manure they dug into the raised bed's.

As I said before a horticultural graduate from the botanic gardens in Glasnevin would come up with a better plan.

With our climate we should be showcasing the most amazing parks in the world.

A reprimand for using the word 'rubbish' was given above.

I am quite sure, but I am open to correction on this, that there is an obligation to remain civil and polite.

You can untwist your knickers there ladeen. No need to worry just because you don't get the reference. Think back seat modding is also frowned upon on a side note.

Anybody know if there were evergreen trees planted when they were doing it up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

You can untwist your knickers there ladeen. No need to worry just because you don't get the reference. Think back seat modding is also frowned upon on a side note.

A serial back seat moder giving out abt back seat modding, inception hasn't a patch on some of the posters here

• Advertisement

A serial back seat moder giving out abt back seat modding, inception hasn't a patch on some of the posters here

Can we try and stay on topic please. This thread is about Eyre Square ;). Feel free to show me all the back seat 'moder' moments when you've time.

It is a disaster. Bare, concrete, soulless. The Hooker sail looks sad and the ugliness of its surround is terrible. Is there supposed to be a fountain there underneath it? If there is, I have never seen it on. if there isn't, then why surround it with ugly concrete?

What a mess.
    Jessu Chtris!

I didn't think Flagpoles, Drainage, Seating, Security, Stairway, Bike Racks not to mention the aforementioned Grass and Hedges and those Flower Beds and additional Trees would come to E10m.

The cost is a completely different argument to your original disproved argument

You are absolutely wrong.

A Graduate? A 12 year old could do better on the back of an envelope.
    You don't need to be a graduate to pave -what? - a fifth ? a quarter? of the square with concrete.

link please

That's the few bags of farm manure they dug into the raised bed's.

As I said before a horticultural graduate from the botanic gardens in Glasnevin would come up with a better plan.

With our climate we should be showcasing the most amazing parks in the world.

a link to this being done please?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ben.schlomo banned from thread
    Everyone else cop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

link please

I suspect the poster wasn't being literal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

a link to this being done please?

You could manage it yourself,I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are botanical gardens trainees good at designing drains, and safe public spaces?

Are botanical gardens trainees good at designing drains, and safe public spaces?

That's why I'm looking for a link. In fact they wouldn't even attempt a brown field site. It would be even more amazing to see the link to the one the 12yr old did.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if there is an actual fountain under the sail and has anybody ever seen it work?

Advertisement