Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

While the kiosk was in use, it looked well enough. Bus since Failté moved out, it's run down a lot. Have you tried asking the council what their plans for the kiosk are?

But now you're just getting silly, and sounding like you need a trip to Specsavers.

You cannot say that the square is under-used, and in then complain that there are too many people there.

See further up in the thread for info about the fountain.

Look in the playground for children at the weekend and holidays - not when the kids are in school/daycare.

Look around the square itself without blinkers for the benches and other sitting areas, there are lots of 'em.

Have I tried asking the council what their plans for the kiosk are? Well, Mrs, you certainly know how to kill a conversation.
    What kind of question is that?
    I may as well ask you have you contacted or do you intend to contact the Council about their plans for replacing the grass in the Spanish Arch.
    Have you tried to contact the council about their plans to clean up those 'toxic' substances around Eyre Square. Well?

Specsavers? That's kind of a silly, juvenile remark to make Mrs.

Am aware of waterless fountain discussion.
    Passed through the Square on Thursday pm about 7ish and didn't see any children in the playground. I can't recall what the weather was like but I think it was nice and sunny.

There are plenty of steps there I know but I did refer to benches for seating and particularly for elderly people. The steps would not be suitable for an older person to sit down and enjoy what Eyre Square has to ... offer. I know I couldn't and wouldn't sit on one of those steps as I might not be able to get up. But I will have a look and do a count of benches unless someone (hopefully) beats me to it.

I would not be too sure sure there are 'lots of 'em' though. I think I noticed some hidden near the playground. In days of yore I think they had a prominent place at the top facing the GSH where you could bask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So when the council to nothing they are on a disgrace for not fixing the grass but when they try to fix the grass they are also a disgrace.......how do they win??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

So when the council to nothing they are on a disgrace for not fixing the grass but when they try to fix the grass they are also a disgrace.......how do they win??

Think the point is they should never allowed the grass to get in such diabolical condition and they shouldn't have waited over 5 months to fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Think the point is they should never allowed the grass to get in such diabolical condition and they shouldn't have waited over 5 months to fix it

The Council were not responsible for repairing the green areas, it was the Christmas Market who were to put it back the way it was before the market came, apparently they delayed in repairing the grass due to the bad weather but either way it was a mess and those that love the market will tell you the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Look around the square itself without blinkers for the benches and other sitting areas, there are lots of 'em.

the irony of you telling anybody to look around eyre sq without blinkers on is truly astounding!

• Advertisement

There's a lot of people in this thread getting very emotive over something they can't really control.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »
    Passed through the Square on Thursday pm about 7ish and didn't see any children in the playground. I can't recall what the weather was like but I think it was nice and sunny.

At 7pm on a school night, I would expect children young enough to be using a playground to be at home and close-enough to be going to bed, not out in the city centre!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

At 7pm on a school night, I would expect children young enough to be using a playground to be at home and close-enough to be going to bed, not out in the city centre!

In the middle of Summer on a fine warm evening , you can be serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Aerohead wrote: »
    In the middle of Summer on a fine warm evening , you cant be serious.

Yeah the council should erect a sign saying "No children allowed play here after 7pm or at the very least, they should play in utter silence" ;)

TBH I completely forgot that there was a playground in Eyre Square.

• Advertisement

Aerohead wrote: »
    In the middle of Summer on a fine warm evening , you can be serious.

I am absolutely serious.

May is not the middle of summer. Primary schools are still in session until sometime in June.

I could understand kids playing in their own neighbourhoods in the early evening. But not in the city centre, miles away from their homes.

This isn't about noise (small kids aren't a patch on the big kids in that regard).

It's simply explaining why parents don't have their kids in Eyre Square at that time, using facts that seem to have escaped some observers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

TBH I completely forgot that there was a playground in Eyre Square.

You could be forgiven for that, It's a title more than a facility.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I am absolutely serious.

May is not the middle of summer. Primary schools are still in session until sometime in June.

I could understand kids playing in their own neighbourhoods in the early evening. But not in the city centre, miles away from their homes.

This isn't about noise (small kids aren't a patch on the big kids in that regard).

It's simply explaining why parents don't have their kids in Eyre Square at that time, using facts that seem to have escaped some observers.

Well, there's a housing estate in Forster Court and homes along College Road, Prospect Hill, as well as apartments in Eyre Sq and Bohermore. It wouldn't be miles from their homes.
    Only reason for them not to use it would be concerns over anti-social behaviour in the Square itself, which would be a pity.

It was, as I recall, very warm if not one of the warmest evenings of the year thus far. All the more reason for a family to nip across from Forster Court or any close by apartments, for an ice cream and a play. Very healthy thing too. You can't beat a little fresh air for the kiddies to have them feeling healthily tired. It makes for a good sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I bring my kids to the playground in eyre square all the time. But at 7pm in the evening they are finishing their dinner and getting ready for bed! School is still on until the end of June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Im not interested in arguing about the state of the park.
    However I will say that I'm somewhat embarrassed by the current state of it.
    Its really badly designed and horribly constructed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Your Face wrote: »
    Im not interested in arguing about the state of the park.
    However I will say that I'm somewhat embarrassed by the current state of it.
    Its really badly designed and horribly constructed.
    Have to agree. It's very shoddy looking. The paving stones used show up every bit of dirt, chewing gum, spit etc. Really gross. And the grass is so unkempt too..bald patches everywhere and cut roughly...not maintained properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

No big screen for pro 12 semi so they can comb the grass for Galway 2020,crapola.
    Christmas market supposedly made a balls of the surface.
    Its not often we get to semi finals this side I'd the Shannon.
    One would think the council could do something to mark it,ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

seanin4711 wrote: »
    No big screen for pro 12 semi so they can comb the grass for Galway 2020,crapola.

It's on only around the corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

seanin4711 wrote: »

It's on only around the corner?
    Sold out though. It would be a cracking night in Galway if they did something like that. (Assuming Connacht win of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

bobbyss wrote: »
    It was, as I recall, very warm if not one of the warmest evenings of the year thus far. All the more reason for a family to nip across from Forster Court or any close by apartments, for an ice cream and a play. Very healthy thing too.

You can't beat a little fresh air for the kiddies to have them feeling healthily tired. It makes for a good sleep.

fresh air you say? one would imagine that Galway City centres location as close as several metres to several hundred meters in from the atlantic coast would have some of the freshest air in Europe

greennews . ie/ worst-irish-towns-for-air-pollution-named-by-who /

The World Health Organisation today released figures on air pollution in cities, which revealed that Bray, Longford, Galway and Dublin breached safe pollution limits.

Various measures exist for assessing air quality, one of which is Particulate Measures (PM). These are microscopic amounts of solid or liquid matter that are suspended in air. Longford breached the safe levels set for PM10, registering 22 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3). Bray was close behind showing annual mean levels of 20 μg/m3.

Four Irish cities breached limits on a measure of finer particles, PM2.5, which are produced in combustion, including in cars and some industrial processes. Longford again showed the highest levels of pollution on this measure, with Bray, Galway and Dublin also failing to meet safe standards.

WHO has said that 80% of people living in monitored urban areas are exposed to unsafe air quality levels. Being exposed to air pollution increases the likelihood of stroke, heart disease, lung cancer and acute respiratory diseases such as asthma.

“It is crucial for city and national governments to make urban air quality a health and development priority,” says WHO’s Dr Carlos Dora. “When air quality improves, health costs from air pollution-related diseases shrink, worker productivity expands and life expectancy grows.”

Air pollution is linked to more than 3 million premature deaths worldwide every year.

Well, there's a housing estate in Forster Court and homes along College Road, Prospect Hill, as well as apartments in Eyre Sq and Bohermore. It wouldn't be miles from their homes.
    Only reason for them not to use it would be concerns over anti-social behaviour in the Square itself, which would be a pity.

There's no more ASB in Eyre Square at 7pm in a spring evening than there is in any suburban location. And probably a better garda response available if any issues did arise.

But for homes in Bohermore, the playground in Coole Park would be closer.

For homes in College Rd, the playground in Lough Atalia Rd would be closer

And I don't believe there are many, if any, children living in apartments in Eyre Square area: the ASB later in the night plus street cleaning noise in the morning would make it a very unsuitable area for them. (No statistics to back this up - I looked but it seems that local-unit-area data isn't published here.)

I bring my kids to the playground in eyre square all the time. But at 7pm in the evening they are finishing their dinner and getting ready for bed! School is still on until the end of June!

I don't know what sort of rules some people have but when I was even a young primary school kid bed on school nights was still a long way away at 7pm.

There's no more ASB in Eyre Square at 7pm in a spring evening than there is in any suburban location. And probably a better garda response available if any issues did arise.

But for homes in Bohermore, the playground in Coole Park would be closer.

For homes in College Rd, the playground in Lough Atalia Rd would be closer

And I don't believe there are many, if any, children living in apartments in Eyre Square area: the ASB later in the night plus street cleaning noise in the morning would make it a very unsuitable area for them. (No statistics to back this up - I looked but it seems that local-unit-area data isn't published here.)

What about all the tourists who visit the city of the tribes? I am sure many of those are children. When in the city centre nothing better than a bit of a play and an 'oul 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That amount of money on an average at best city park is beyond a joke really. It could be a bare patch of concrete and homeless people would still be there, drinkers would still walk through it, teenagers would still kick a ball around and skateboard there because of its location, that in no way justifies spending that amount of public money on it or means it's amazing.

If you look at somewhere like Peace Park in Cork, there's always loads of families with kids in there, it's far nicer to look at despite being a similar size and right in the city centre as well. Limerick has better parks.

It's far from as good as it could be, either in terms of how it looks or how it's used, the lengths some people will go to deny that is comical. It's something I've noticed a lot in Galway, this attitude of 'we'll just keep insisting that Galway is great, and that means it's great!'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The winos of the Square are largely gone these days? its cleaned up a lot since the 80s/90s and safer.But Too open, too much concrete and traffic around it too make it a proper park feel . plus the grass destruction . could do better..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

pure.conya wrote: »
    fresh air you say? one would imagine that Galway City centres location as close as several metres to several hundred meters in from the atlantic coast would have some of the freshest air in Europe

greennews . ie/ worst-irish-towns-for-air-pollution-named-by-who /

The World Health Organisation today released figures on air pollution in cities, which revealed that Bray, Longford, Galway and Dublin breached safe pollution limits.

Various measures exist for assessing air quality, one of which is Particulate Measures (PM). These are microscopic amounts of solid or liquid matter that are suspended in air. Longford breached the safe levels set for PM10, registering 22 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3). Bray was close behind showing annual mean levels of 20 μg/m3.

Four Irish cities breached limits on a measure of finer particles, PM2.5, which are produced in combustion, including in cars and some industrial processes. Longford again showed the highest levels of pollution on this measure, with Bray, Galway and Dublin also failing to meet safe standards.

WHO has said that 80% of people living in monitored urban areas are exposed to unsafe air quality levels. Being exposed to air pollution increases the likelihood of stroke, heart disease, lung cancer and acute respiratory diseases such as asthma.

“It is crucial for city and national governments to make urban air quality a health and development priority,” says WHO’s Dr Carlos Dora. “When air quality improves, health costs from air pollution-related diseases shrink, worker productivity expands and life expectancy grows.”

Air pollution is linked to more than 3 million premature deaths worldwide every year.

Well you can thank the Green Party and their promotion of Diesel for that.
    I guess dead people have a lower carbon footprint though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dloob wrote: »
    Well you can thank the Green Party and their promotion of Diesel for that.
    I guess dead people have a lower carbon footprint though.

One thing I've noticed about Galway in the last 3 to 4 years is how awful the air is now...to me the big difference is that people around Bohermore, Renmore, Lough Atalia, Headford Road area have all gone back to using the smokey coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

While I don't agree with some of the general sentiment on this thread it is good to highlight some of the major messes that have happened at great public expense around this city. The Eyre Square expenditure is one of them. The amount of money spent on the project would bring a tear to your eye and it is just one such project in this city where the populace have a right to ask where the value for money was.
    Yet nothing seems to change. Or elected officials are more worried about fighting and bickering in the chamber and keeping their petty differences from making a bigger impact on how the local authorities are vetted and run while the rest of us pay for the messes of the past via the various taxes and rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Are ya havin a laugh??!?
    Large centrally located green area, known as a haven for outdoor drinking.
    Walked through there at a little after 7 a few weeks ago. It was a fine evening and the place had at least a dozen teenagers openly drinking.
    It mightn't have a big anti-social behaviour problem at 7pm, but to say it's no worse than any suburban area is laughable.

Advertisement