Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't deem drinking outdoors in a park to be antisocial behaviour.
    I lived next to Sparch for a long time and never had an issue with drunk people there.

Then again ASB ranges from fighting/harassment all the way to rudeness and smoking or even spitting in a public place. Niiiice...
    They should really rename it "disagreeable behaviour" just so everyone can report everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are ya havin a laugh??!?
    Large centrally located green area, known as a haven for outdoor drinking.
    Walked through there at a little after 7 a few weeks ago. It was a fine evening and the place had at least a dozen teenagers openly drinking.
    It mightn't have a big anti-social behaviour problem at 7pm, but to say it's no worse than any suburban area is laughable.

I'd feel far safer in Eyre Square at 7pm than I would in the Plots or Merlin Woods or various other places that feel more like "proper parks" to some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

biko wrote: »
    I lived next to Sparch for a long time and never had an issue with drunk people there.

Then again ASB ranges from fighting/harassment all the way to rudeness and smoking or even spitting in a public place. Niiiice...
    They should really rename it "disagreeable behaviour" just so everyone can report everyone else.

Technically drinking on the streets is against the local by laws so would be deemed anti social behavior. Also I'm not sure I'd like my child exposed to that behaviour at a young age so I'd be likely to use a different facility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I guess for families with kids, tourists and non drinkers it can be a bit intimidating and uncertain passing by groups of drinkers , rowdy or not, you just dont know what behaviour will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'd feel far safer in Eyre Square at 7pm than I would in the Plots or Merlin Woods or various other places that feel more like "proper parks" to some of you.

How is Merlin Park a suburb?

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, I have no problem with responsible drinking in public.
    It can get a little loud/ rowdy/ occasionally fractious when teens/young twenties have a few drinks.
    This tends to be off putting to families out and about of an evening.
    The group I saw in Eyre Sq. we're sprawled over the steps, in the way of pedestrians and generally acting the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Since when did smoking in open public places become ASB?

I'm telling Finian McGrath about you biko :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Day 145 of the year 2016 and we're still not able to enjoy Eyre Square thanks solely to the Christmas Market. I for one cannot believe my eyes when I walk through the square the last week or 10 days!

pure.conya wrote: »
    Day 145 of the year 2016 and we're still not able to enjoy Eyre Square thanks solely to the Christmas Market. I for one cannot believe my eyes when I walk through the square the last week or 10 days!

That's funny, I'm standing at the top of Eyre Square right now, watching lots of tourists, skateboarders and old people enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That's funny, I'm standing at the top of Eyre Square right now, watching lots of tourists, skateboarders and old people enjoying it.

Were any of them relaxing on the grass or was all that still fenced away like I saw a few days ago?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

bobbyss wrote: »
    Were any of them relaxing on the grass or was all that still fenced away like I saw a few days ago?

Remember it's only 67% closed off if U've a biased view like some posters

Remember it's only 67% closed off if U've a biased view like some posters

Hopefully they enjoyed that percentage of the grass then.

No idea: I was standing at the bus stop at the top, watching people skateboard, sit in the sun, street-drink, photograph the Brown Doorway and the flags, chat, etc. Couldn't see any grass from there.

pure.conya wrote: »

I'd prefer to be have it nice and bright and have a great atmosphere there during the dark dreary winter with the Market than be able to sit in the grass there on a sunny day in summer when every is nice and bright anyway.

The christmas market is the only thing that brings me into eyre square bar using it as a short cut, grass or no grass I wouldn't be attracted there during the summer.

No idea: I was standing at the bus stop at the top, watching people skateboard, sit in the sun, street-drink, photograph the Brown Doorway and the flags, chat, etc. Couldn't see any grass from there.

Yep. There was a time Mrs, when there was lots of grass there. How sad it all is really.

Is there a purpose built skateboarding place in Eyre Square? If there is, how cool is that? Just lie back there on the grass on your lunch break and take the ambience in: birds chattering away, perhaps a guitar being gently strummed, the sound of young babes in arms and old folk reminiscing about the 'oul times. Ahh!
    A skateboarding place. Jesus Wept.

Yep. There was a time Mrs, when there was lots of grass there. How sad it all is really.

Is there a purpose built skateboarding place in Eyre Square? If there is, how cool is that? Just lie back there on the grass on your lunch break and take the ambience in: birds chattering away, perhaps a guitar being gently strummed, the sound of young babes in arms and old folk reminiscing about the 'oul times. Ahh!
    A skateboarding place. Jesus Wept.

I'll tell ya what, Mr. You may not like teenage (and more) skaties - but they're people too, with as much right to recreational space in the city centre and you and me. Grass does nothing for them

When I was working in the area, I certainly didn't lie in the grass on my lunch-break, getting bits of grass and insects on my lunch clothes. I sat on the stone rims around the edges of the grass, the same way that hundreds of others did, and do. Along with the 'oul folk with their beverages and reminisences

And I've never yet seen a tourist crazy enough to take pictures of grass. Flags, sails, doorways and monuments, on the other hand ...

I'll tell ya what, Mr. You may not like teenage (and more) skaties - but they're people too, with as much right to recreational space in the city centre and you and me. Grass does nothing for them

When I was working in the area, I certainly didn't lie in the grass on my lunch-break, getting bits of grass and insects on my lunch clothes. I sat on the stone rims around the edges of the grass, the same way that hundreds of others did, and do. Along with the 'oul folk with their beverages and reminisences

And I've never yet seen a tourist crazy enough to take pictures of grass. Flags, sails, doorways and monuments, on the other hand ...

The sound of the clunking and crashing of skateboards just adds that little bit extra to a relaxing break. It's exactly what we need in our square.

The sound of the clunking and crashing of skateboards just adds that little bit extra to a relaxing break. It's exactly what we need in our square.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So the sound of a few skaters interrupts your ability to relax, but the sounds of traffic and day to day business operations is no problem for ya? Will you leave it out, they're grand, hardly the worst of the general city centre noise pollution.

So the sound of a few skaters interrupts your ability to relax, but the sounds of traffic and day to day business operations is no problem for ya? Will you leave it out, they're grand, hardly the worst of the general city centre noise pollution.

Yes, that's exactly my opinion about skateboarding but why are you saying 'will you leave it out'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

From my drive past yesterday, the grass looks fine. So why are the really awful looking barriers are still there?

Well, well. From the Castlegar Galway Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/castlegar.in.galway/), a picture of Eyre Square from the 1970s.

Some interesting features:
    • The large concrete area at the top
    • No visible fences around the edges.

So maybe it wasn't the 1990's renovation which removed all the things which some people miss so much ....

387259.PNG

Original is here, in case you want to zoom in: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98074314@N03/9144900041/

Well, well. From the Castlegar Galway Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/castlegar.in.galway/), a picture of Eyre Square from the 1970s.

Some interesting features:
    • The large concrete area at the top
    • No visible fences around the edges.

So maybe it wasn't the 1990's renovation which removed all the things which some people miss so much ....

387259.PNG

Original is here, in case you want to zoom in: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98074314@N03/9144900041/

It's just a personal, possibly mistaken memory, but the square seemed much more open back then. There was always the concrete plinth at the top, but seemed much smaller than today. The public toilets were an eyesore,but the rest of the square was nice, seemed more relaxed.
    There wasn't much to it, but there was no need for it either. The Square now seems to need to have to encompass everything to everyone, so we have to break it up into little parcels to fit everything in. When I was a child, people congregated there without the need to be entertained, facilitated, or anything. It just was. You hung out with Padraig, or hung out of the cannons. On a fine day, you'd sit on the grass and watch the world go by or have a kick about with your mates. Wait for the bus after school. Spot the talent. Couples met up there. Workers enjoyed their lunch breaks there. Older folks read the paper, or soaked up whatever sun was going.
    But I suppose, that was Galway then. It just was. And that's the attraction to a lot of folk who came here to find a place here and get into the laid back attitude and enjoy the pace of life here.

And I guess, in the end, that's what's ruined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just came across this: https://www.facebook.com/What-annoys-you-in-Galway-City-1697747917143903/?rc=p

The ideal platform to give out about Eyre Square ;-)

Wonder if one of the regulars on here set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

It's just a personal, possibly mistaken memory, but the square seemed much more open back then. There was always the concrete plinth at the top, but seemed much smaller than today. The public toilets were an eyesore,but the rest of the square was nice, seemed more relaxed.
    There wasn't much to it, but there was no need for it either. The Square now seems to need to have to encompass everything to everyone, so we have to break it up into little parcels to fit everything in. When I was a child, people congregated there without the need to be entertained, facilitated, or anything. It just was. You hung out with Padraig, or hung out of the cannons. On a fine day, you'd sit on the grass and watch the world go by or have a kick about with your mates. Wait for the bus after school. Spot the talent. Couples met up there. Workers enjoyed their lunch breaks there. Older folks read the paper, or soaked up whatever sun was going.
    But I suppose, that was Galway then. It just was. And that's the attraction to a lot of folk who came here to find a place here and get into the laid back attitude and enjoy the pace of life here.

Apart from hang out with the cannons and Padraig (and a version is coming back) what have you listed has changed. You can still do all those things.

The hate for the remodeled Kennedy park baffles me.

Yes, these are my memories too except that is Eyre Square mark 11. Those beautiful railings are gone! I think, and correct me if I am wrong, the Eyre Square had less concrete before that picture was taken. But yes there was no need to over complicate it as you say.

It was the simplicity of the place that strikes me now. Padraic and the canons. That and the grass was the playground. A cone and I was as happy as Larry. I can't remember any expanse of concrete at all. Ahh the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at the picture did they move the Browne Doorway back or the footpath forward, also that perspix that's around it today is a disgrace, I was in the Square on Saturday and was at the doorway and overheard a few very unfavourable comments about it and how dirty it was as they could only take pictures of the top section due to the condition of the surround on the bottom section, does anyone in the Council ever look at this surely, they could take it away and replace it with a nice railing.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Looking at the picture did they move the Browne Doorway back or the footpath forward, also that perspix that's around it today is a disgrace, I was in the Square on Saturday and was at the doorway and overheard a few very unfavourable comments about it and how dirty it was as they could only take pictures of the top section due to the condition of the surround on the bottom section, does anyone in the Council ever look at this surely, they could take it away and replace it with a nice railing.

Much too logical a suggestion I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Apart from hang out with the cannons and Padraig (and a version is coming back) what have you listed has changed. You can still do all those things.

The hate for the remodeled Kennedy park baffles me.
    As mentioned earlier my hate is reserved for the sheer incompetence of those that have will fully wasted millions on this and other projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

kippy wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier my hate is reserved for the sheer incompetence of those that have will fully wasted millions on this and other projects.

You voted for them so in essence you hate yourself

Advertisement