Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You voted for them so in essence you hate yourself
    Did I vote for town planners, engineers and un-elected officials (who I would place most of the blame with for wasting the money on these projects)

Granted the politicians involved were voted in but twas before my time here technically.

That's just a silly argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

kippy wrote: »
    Did I vote for town planners, engineers and un-elected officials (who I would place most of the blame with for wasting the money on these projects)

Granted the politicians involved were voted in but twas before my time here technically.

That's just a silly argument.

Surely the silly argument is actually complaining about eyre square 10 yrs after its finished :) ive actually set in it over the last few days around lunchtime and found it a pleasant experience. There was a bit of noise from the eyre square centre redevelopment one of the days and some lad with an amp singing out of tune another day but i cant really pin the blame on the council for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Surely the silly argument is actually complaining about eyre square 10 yrs after its finished :) ive actually set in it over the last few days around lunchtime and found it a pleasant experience. There was a bit of noise from the eyre square centre redevelopment one of the days and some lad with an amp singing out of tune another day but i cant really pin the blame on the council for that.

No, what's silly is missing the point.
    As I said above I have no issue with Eyre square itself. The issue I have always had is the money wasted on it when there are other areas around the city that could have done with it.
    I often sat in it for lunch, listened to a busker etc etc.
    The sums of money spent on it over the years have not been justified and it's one of a long line of projects in this city that have gone way overbudget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Anecdotes I heard about that project might have been biased but said --
    it was a vanity project for 'top level' administrator
    there was no proper engineering oversight or involvement until problems arose with contractor
    contractor was from UK and was not vetted/'checked out' properly
    due to bad performance Council refused to pay contractor
    contractor sued for breach of contract and won
    Please note this was only anecdotal and was some years back. I only have a vague idea who the 'top level' administrator was

kippy wrote: »
    No, what's silly is missing the point.
    As I said above I have no issue with Eyre square itself. The issue I have always had is the money wasted on it when there are other areas around the city that could have done with it.
    I often sat in it for lunch, listened to a busker etc etc.
    The sums of money spent on it over the years have not been justified and it's one of a long line of projects in this city that have gone way overbudget.

What's silly is raising the money argument 10 yrs after its spent. I remember the state the square was in during construction and heard many people utter the words I don't care how much it cost just get the bloody thing finished.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

You voted for them so in essence you hate yourself

Uh no. In my view, your comment indicates a misunderstanding about how local government works in Ireland. Irish city or county councillors have little real power.

In Ireland many local government decisions and the associated funding get cooked up behind closed doors by a cozy group consisting of local and central government officials, consultants and (sometimes) developers.

The outcome of this then gets placed before local councillors on a "take it or leave it" basis. If the councillors turn it down or express reservations they get accused of depriving the city of the "Dublin money". If they accept proposals, they still have zero input in practical terms into the conduct of the projects.

In Ireland, elected councillors are used by the civil service apparatus to provide a "veneer" of democracy but to blame the councillors for much of what goes on is to miss the point.

Uh no. In my view, your comment indicates a misunderstanding about how local government works in Ireland. Irish city or county councillors have little real power.

In Ireland many local government decisions and the associated funding get cooked up behind closed doors by a cozy group consisting of local and central government officials, consultants and (sometimes) developers.

The outcome of this then gets placed before local councillors on a "take it or leave it" basis. If the councillors turn it down or express reservations they get accused of depriving the city of the "Dublin money". If they accept proposals, they still have zero input in practical terms into the conduct of the projects.

In Ireland, elected councillors are used by the civil service apparatus to provide a "veneer" of democracy but to blame the councillors for much of what goes on is to miss the point.

I've heard it all now....tis the feckers in Dublin offering us money tis all their fault.

I've heard it all now....tis the feckers in Dublin offering us money tis all their fault.

Pretty much. Strictly speaking the people at fault are those who voted for Jack Lynch in 1977?

The Lynch government promised free money for everybody and as part of that promise they abolished domestic rates - property taxes for you and me.

As a result they centralised much of local govt funding and, naturally enough, they also centralised power.

Arguably local authorities moved from being agencies that gathered local taxes, drew up budgets, and spent what they had and became entities where the game was to extract funds from Dublin.

This concentrates power in the hands of those doing the extracting.

In the case of Eyre Square, my recollection is that Joe Gavin (the then city manager) showed up with the money and the plan for Eyre Square and it was thrown on the table as a done deal.

That is to say, my recollection is that proposal to rearrange Eyre Square did not originate from, and was not developed in consultation with, the elected city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

has anybody got an idea as to when we might be able to enjoy the Square again?

The summer will most likely be over be the end of this week and that could be the height of the sun for us Galwegians for 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

At the weekend, there were plenty of people enjoying it.

For every one sitting on the grass (33% of it is accessible even now), there were two sitting on the stone walls beside the paths - these are all available for use now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

For every one sitting on the grass (33% of it is accessible even now), there were two sitting on the stone walls beside the paths - these are all available for use now.

Have you been there with your measuring tape to get the 33% , I think its a disgrace with all the barriers as is the Browne Doorway.

And this is to try and excuse the unbelievably poor planning on part of the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

it's a lot closer to 20% than 1/3 ;)

I still cannot believe that a couple of pages back you tried to rubbish the fact lots of normal people like to sit or lie or grass when the sun comes out, like we're some sort of minority nutcases and that we should be delighted there are some concrete steps left for a small few people to enjoy

pure.conya wrote: »
    has anybody got an idea as to when we might be able to enjoy the Square again?

The summer will most likely be over be the end of this week and that could be the height of the sun for us Galwegians for 2016!

It's open 24/7 365 feel free to enjoy it anytime

pure.conya wrote: »
    I still cannot believe that a couple of pages back you tried to rubbish the fact lots of normal people like to sit or lie or grass when the sun comes out, like we're some sort of minority nutcases and that we should be delighted there are some concrete steps left for a small few people to enjoy

Please link to the post.

I know I can that I don't sit on the grass in my work clothes. Don't recall stating anything about people in non-work clohing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone know if those barriers are still there, who put them there, why they were put up and how long more they will be there for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

bobbyss wrote: »
    Anyone know if those barriers are still there, who put them there, why they were put up and how long more they will be there for?

Still there, put there by the City Council to protect newly laid grass that was damaged by the Christmas Market and only they know how long they will be there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Still there, put there by the City Council to protect newly laid grass that was damaged by the Christmas Market and only they know how long they will be there for.

The Christmas Market seems such a long time ago. And it impacts on peoples' lives six months later. It destroys the grass clearly and makes Eyre Square look unsightly. I know there was lots of rain along the way but this is Galway. The West. The most westerly city in Europe. Usually rainsoaked.
    If the market is here again this is what we can expect this tine next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I think this is the only poster who disagrees that is its a disgrace that 80-90% of the grass of the grass in the city's main park/square is closed off because of a event 6 months ago.

Provided the grass looks pretty, what do the barriers matter???

• Advertisement

Provided the grass looks pretty, what do the barriers matter???

Think that's the GCC's motto, aslong as the grass is green n pretty for the 2020 judging panel, (££$$€€€)
    little thought given to the common galwegian who might like to use their park for other reasons than a Xmas market.

Think that's the GCC's motto, aslong as the grass is green n pretty for the 2020 judging panel, (££$$€€€)
    little thought given to the common galwegian who might like to use their park for other reasons than a Xmas market.

It's being used all the time. Loads of room. Go and used it .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

It's being used all the time. Loads of room. Go and used it .

What's the bets the poster(whereisgalway) is panned out on the lovely fresh grass on eyre square bitching about the council(as usual).

I reckon they should channel all that anger and hatred that they have towards the council to something positive and put themselves forward at the next council elections. Or they could continue ranting on a regional forum for the next 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Eyre Square is sh!te anyway. It's the worst green area in the city. The only time I ever set foot in it is to go to the Christmas market. There are way nicer green areas in the college, Salthill or the claddagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Like, play a word association game with ten strangers, say park and see what the first word is pops into their head, do you think maybe, possibly, many of them would say 'grass'? It is actually bizarre to argue so bullheadedly that having 1/5 of the grass useable in the city's most central park in the middle of the summer is absolutely no reflection on how good the park is, or well run.

Like, play a word association game with ten strangers, say park and see what the first word is pops into their head, do you think maybe, possibly, many of them would say 'grass'? It is actually bizarre to argue so bullheadedly that having 1/5 of the grass useable in the city's most central park in the middle of the summer is absolutely no reflection on how good the park is, or well run.

Well its worth bearing in mind that when Joe Gavin (city manager) and Gerry Mitchell (landscape architect) presented the Eyre Square proposals, their stated position was that if you wanted a park or country side "type" experience then you needed to get into your car and drive out of town.

Its safe to assume such attitudes are still around in city hall.

Well its worth bearing in mind that when Joe Gavin (city manager) and Gerry Mitchell (landscape architect) presented the Eyre Square proposals, their stated position was that if you wanted a park or country side "type" experience then you needed to get into your car and drive out of town.

They'd need to put cows ****e on it to give us the country feel.

Wonder if Gerry puts eyre square redevelopment on his CV. €15 million quandered

bobbyss wrote: »
    The Christmas Market seems such a long time ago. And it impacts on peoples' lives six months later. It destroys the grass clearly and makes Eyre Square look unsightly. I know there was lots of rain along the way but this is Galway. The West. The most westerly city in Europe. Usually rainsoaked.
    If the market is here again this is what we can expect this tine next year.

And fingers crossed the market is here. Feck the grass the market is far more important.

If you put it to a vote of no market at Christmas vs the grass not in good condition I can guarantee you people would vote for the market as far far more people benefit and get enjoyment from the market from all over the city and county compared to the handful of people complaining that can't sit on grass for a few mins in the day.

• Advertisement

Ok - so let's play the same work association game with the word "square" - I wonder how many would say "grass".

Seeing Eyre Square is the "town square", really speaking.

If you want a park, I can recommend one that's five minute's walk away, and comes complete with the fences and privacy which some regard as essential. Or several that are but a short bus journey away.

Advertisement