Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre square redevelopment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ok - so let's play the same work association game with the word "square" - I wonder how many would say "grass".

Jesus christ... I don't actually know if you're even joking here... but yes, I would imagine with people saying the several million things that could be easily associated with the very general word that is 'square'; you're right that 'grass' probably wouldn't come up. <face palm> The problem is that there's no actual point being proven here, all I'm seeing is just unnecessary snarkiness... for the good of the thread/conversation, less of that please.
    Seeing Eyre Square is the "town square", really speaking.

*ahem* Kennedy Park
    If you want a park, I can recommend one that's five minute's walk away, and comes complete with the fences and privacy which some regard as essential. Or several that are but a short bus journey away.

There's a lovely little spot down near the boat club as well; fences, grass, and relative solitude. I rarely see anyone in there ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just walked through the square and there are a grand total of 10 people sitting on the grass. Plenty of room for everyone.

Ok - so let's play the same work association game with the word "square" - I wonder how many would say "grass".

Oh I enjoy Word Association.

OK. Square.

Circle.

Who is next?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

OK. Square.

Circle.

Who is next?

Word Association?

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

OK. Square.

Circle.

Jerk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

This thread isn't going great.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Word Association?

FFS

And now you see the pointlessness of what the other person was saying.
    Jerk

Chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Square - market -

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

".

Seeing Eyre Square is the "town square", really speaking.

U know it's called Kennedy Park

The purpose of this thread is to highlight that €15million was squandered on the redevelopment. Much of this money is still been repaid over ten years later. Money that is badly needed in other areas of the city is been for diverted because of the incompetence of city councillors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

And now you see the pointlessness of what the other person was saying.

Chicken.

What I was saying is that denying that so much of the grass cordoned off is no reflection on the quality of the space is ridiculous. It looks like pure shíte, and in years when it wasn't like that the grassy areas were well used. It's not the end of the world, but it's not the non-issue people are weirdly invested in insisting it is, that's what's pointless if anything is. The very fact that it's cordoned off kind of suggests that the powers that be have figured out that if it weren't, people would be using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The purpose of this thread is to highlight that €15million was squandered on the redevelopment. Much of this money is still been repaid over ten years later. Money that is badly needed in other areas of the city is been for diverted because of the incompetence of city councillors

It was decided the other day that it was those feckers in Dublin that were at fault not the councillors

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Wow, this thread is still going! People are very upset about the schtate of the grass!

Obviously not upset enough about it to do anything proactive though, like mount a petition, talk to a councillor, speak to their TD, submit a FOI request about council budgetary activity. Nope, just want to crib and whinge on the internet thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Nobody in the city council will get fired for the excessively costly and badly run project that was the Eyre Square revamp. We are Irish, we suck it up and wait for the next wasteful project.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Council will need to make a proper long term plan - some chance :rolleyes:

If the Christmas market is to be a fixture then there needs to be a proper plan in place to restore the grass every year & have it usable by early summer. The underlying soil needs to be improved.

I know that there's a plaque with that name in it, in honour of JFK's visit. I also know that no one calls it that. Except perhaps very briefly if they're trying to impress American visitors.

.... because of the incompetence of city councillors

You can't have it both ways. Was it the elected councillors? Or was it the unelected officials?

How much are the council paying you, Mrs OBumble? I mean, to you everything they sh1t seem to be diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please try to keep discussion civil.
    Digs/insinuations are not going to make things better

[quote="Mrs OBumble;99920399" I also know that no one calls it that. Except perhaps very briefly if they're trying to impress American visitors.
    ?[/quote]

How can you know that no calls it a park? Are you a telepath. I call it a park as do many other people.

I call it a park as do many other people.

Really?

387719.PNG

Really?

387719.PNG

In 1965, the square was officially renamed "Kennedy Memorial Park" in honour of US President John F. Kennedy, who visited Galway city shortly before his assassination in 1963.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's a well know fact which MrsO brought up earlier.
    But I've never met anyone who ever said "I'll see you at Kennedy Park" or even "we were at the park".

biko wrote: »
    Yes, that's a well know fact which MrsO brought up earlier.
    But I've never met anyone who ever said "I'll see you at Kennedy Park" or even "we were at the park".

I've often heard people say lets chill out on the grass, pity we can't do that

I've forgotten -- what exactly is the big hooha behind park vs square? It seems like pointless semantics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I've often heard people say lets chill out on the grass, pity we can't do that

Sorry but according to city council management then you if you want grass then you need to get in your car and drive until you find some grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

You realise we live in Ireland, grass out numbers people, you drive five minutes out of town "voila field". Eyre square is a place people walk, sit and eat lunch, why do we require grass to do that.

You like grass we get it but that isn't addressing the op. Yes they over spent but the Christmas market brings in tourists and revenue and more people use the park even though its winter and the weather is miserable. I don't care about the grass I'm listening to music, buying crafts and eating a giant macaroon. It even makes it worth the rain, which would usually mean I'm not sitting in the grass anyway. People enjoy the park their own way but we need the markets revenue, so if I can't sit in the grass for a day or two fine (I prefer the beach when its sunny anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Was walking through the Square the last day and I couldn't help but notice those skateboarders doing their stuff on the edge of the former fountain. Yes, that's right. The edge of the former fountain. There didn't appear to me to be a dedicated skateboarding place in Eyre square for them. Many flips and vaults were unsuccessful and their boards just zipped away from them. Fortunately when the skateboarders lost control of their boards (and fell on their backsides) no passerby eg babies/toddlers running around or the elderly were injured.

Does anyone know if this activity is allowed in Eyre Square on the edge of the former fountain? Where some people are already sitting around it? Perhaps they are? But there is a purpose built skateboarding place on University Road a mere ten minute walk away (five by board). Skateboarding may cause damage to surfaces and chip off edges of the former fountain. Noise pollution. Maybe dedicated skateboarding places are more strongly built, I don't know. But at least they have all those curvy structures made from whatever so our skater friends can flip away to their heart's' content. I had a mind to report them for crimes against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Never once in my lifetime have I heard anyone calling it Kennedy Park.

Damn hipsters!

Thread renamed (for a ittle while) so there is no confusion
    Or maybe added confusion
    Either works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

This thread has finally gone full retard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Are you kidding me, I've lived in Galway for five years and I have never heard it called Kennedy park. If I was meeting my friends and said we'll meet in Kennedy park they'd have no idea what I'm talking about- Eyre square on the other hand they instantly no where to go. It was a gimmick, its never used. Its an open space if I mentioned a park I'd think of the phoenix park which is huge and has trees and squirrels. Its a tiny area in the centre of town it will never be the phoenix park due to its location. So content yourself with the grass and concrete its all that fits and it looks fine.
    bobbyss wrote: »
    Was walking through the Square the last day and I couldn't help but notice those skateboarders doing their stuff on the edge of the former fountain. Yes, that's right. The edge of the former fountain. There didn't appear to me to be a dedicated skateboarding place in Eyre square for them. Many flips and vaults were unsuccessful and their boards just zipped away from them. Fortunately when the skateboarders lost control of their boards (and fell on their backsides) no passerby eg babies/toddlers running around or the elderly were injured.

Does anyone know if this activity is allowed in Eyre Square on the edge of the former fountain? Where some people are already sitting around it? Perhaps they are? But there is a purpose built skateboarding place on University Road a mere ten minute walk away (five by board). Skateboarding may cause damage to surfaces and chip off edges of the former fountain. Noise pollution. Maybe dedicated skateboarding places are more strongly built, I don't know. But at least they have all those curvy structures made from whatever so our skater friends can flip away to their heart's' content. I had a mind to report them for crimes against humanity.

First of all people complain kids aren't in the square and now they are your annoyed, seriously do you want them to just sit quietly in the corner reading. Its not that noisy and to suggest reporting them is ridiculous, they'll get bored when they can't do tricks or they won't. They are getting air and having wholesome fun also turn down your hearing aids its not that loud.

Advertisement