Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private ADHD diagnosis for teenager in Munster?

• 15-04-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Is is possible to get a private diagnosis for ADHD for a teenager in Cork/Munster region? My son has had difficulties concentrating all his life, but it's got worse now he's in secondary school. I've heard if I take him to the GP it'll take a couple of years.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are going to need to get an appointment with a Child Psychiatrist/Psychologist in your region.
    These are different despite sounding similar, with the former able to prescribe medication if needed and the latter focusing more on social and emotional aspects.
    Here's a good document
    The A to Z of ADHD
    Also, seek out a support group in your area and talk to them about the best pathway to take, seek out the local Childrens Mental Health, CAMHS, service in Cork, due to the age of your son they may be able to fast track his sessions.
    finding your local child mental health services
    The biggest thing is, despite the possible waiting list, you are best to get an initial visit with your GP, at least if you go private you will be armed with a professionals opinion and this lends your concerns weight, rather than the stoney silence a parent gets when they come with their worries and no GP visit.

Advertisement