Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home Charge Point Installer not ESB

• 15-04-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

We just brought in a Nissan Leaf from the UK and as part of the deal they threw in a Chargemaster Home Charge Point but now I need to get installed. Anyone got a recommendation of a decent electrician in Dublin? Tried a couple of guys out of the Golden pages and they seemed a but unsure over the phone about what I was talking about!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Lavcon wrote: »
    Hi,

We just brought in a Nissan Leaf from the UK and as part of the deal they threw in a Chargemaster Home Charge Point but now I need to get installed. Anyone got a recommendation of a decent electrician in Dublin? Tried a couple of guys out of the Golden pages and they seemed a but unsure over the phone about what I was talking about!

Thanks in advance

why not give Nigel who installs the ESB ecars ones a ring , he will do private jobs

I will PM you his mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Someone already said it on this site before but when you talk to them just tell them it's an outdoor socket and when they turn up to fully price it, hand them the charger. There's no difference really. Just make sure they use at least 6sq and put in a rcbo in the fuse board. I paid €300 to have one installed fully and another €120 for a re-wiring + RCBO at another location. If you get a quote higher that that then keep looking.
    I'll PM you the number of the guy I used in Dublin

If they just put in a direct socket capable of 16A ( or preferably 32A) then you can just plug the EVSE in yourself anyway

This is what I have here
    18739_P&$prodImageMedium$

So if I move out I can just take out the charger and leave the isolator in place for someone else to hook up an outdoor plug, charger or whatever.

Is the chargemaster unit 16a or 30a?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lavcon

Thanks a mill for the replies and recommendations. It's a 30amp unit as far as I can tell so will make sure whoever installs it wires it as such even though we only have a 3.3kw Leaf.

Getting it wired as a socket and plug makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Chrischarger

Hi,

Check out carcharger.ie. Prices are online.
    Lavcon wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Hi,

Check out carcharger.ie. Prices are online.

O.o €999 for a 32A Rolec with installation?

Or you could just buy the same chargepoint for ~£320 in the UK and ship it to parcel motel for €3.50. Pick up some 3x6 and a 40A C-Curve MCB from the electrical shop and have any electrician wire it up.

Chargepoints are just fancy outdoor sockets. Any domestic electrician can install them.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Just make sure you use a cable suitable for carrying a load in excess of your charger. I got a 3.3kw charger installed, but if I wanted to upgrade to a 6.6kw I would need to run a stronger cable.

cros13 wrote: »
    O.o €999 for a 32A Rolec with installation?

Or you could just buy the same chargepoint for ~£320 in the UK and ship it to parcel motel for €3.50. Pick up some 3x6 and a 40A C-Curve MCB from the electrical shop and have any electrician wire it up.

Chargepoints are just fancy outdoor sockets. Any domestic electrician can install them.

correct, all you need to do is have a RECI certified electrician run a feed from the board to an outdoor connection point, that could be a simple junction box, Ask him to install an RCBO rather then a MCB in my view

you can install the EVSE yourself , its just an "appliance "

in fact you could for a 16A unit only just extend a ring main spur ( and you could do that yourself - warning if you know what you are doing ) , but id still recommend a direct consumer board connection

BoatMad wrote: »
    Ask him to install an RCBO rather then a MCB in my view

What's the reasoning on this? I'm not questioning it, I would just like to understand why

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    What's the reasoning on this? I'm not questioning it, I would just like to understand why

I am of the view that the cable from the board to the EVSE should be protected by an RCD, especially if that cable is outdoors at all.

I am always puzzled why the RCD is in the EVSE , I suspect its there because many countries have poor laws on RCDs. the best place for an RCDs is at the start of the circuit.

as a rather strained example, if you opened the EVSE whilst live, the internal RCD would not protect you if you came in contact with a live feed inside the EVSE , nor would it protect you if a fault internal in the EVSE but before its RCD occurred

Ah ok so is an RCBO a combination of an MCB and RCD?

s.welstead wrote: »
    Ah ok so is an RCBO a combination of an MCB and RCD?

yup.

Advertisement