Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lenovo T420

• 15-04-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo T420 laptop, have had it for two years in the past few weeks (six weeks or so) I noticed it gets very hot underneath where the charger is plugged in, now it gets hot even when the charger isn't plugged in.

Yesterday and today its gotten to hot that the laptop itself slows down and I have to shut it down completely, and let it cool down, then turn it back on but within 20-30 mins its raging hot again. When it gets like this its almost too hot too touch.

Any idea what may be wrong with it? It hasn't been dropped, sat on, had anything spilled on it etc so I'm guessing its just use?

Would appreciate any help at all.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can you open it to clean out the fan and the fan inlet on the case itself? Also check performance manager to see what load the CPU is under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

mordeith wrote: »
    Can you open it to clean out the fan and the fan inlet on the case itself? Also check performance manager to see what load the CPU is under.
    I wouldn't have a notion about opening it up etc. I am useless with technology.

The CPU goes between 24% and 39%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It looks like there's a good bit of stripdown required. This video is a 420S, but I imagine its pretty similar

An alternative is get some canned air and blow through the exit vent, but its not a great solution IMHO. Fluff collects inside this and restricts airflow.

Thanks, yeah I saw a few videos and there does seem to be a bit to it. I contacted a local IT shop and asked how much it is to fix it and they said between €25 and €50 so I reckon I'll drop it into them this week and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

That's not a bad price. It's not a hard job, but there are some fiddly little bits inside a laptop that are easy to break, so if you're not confident with it, a shop is a better bet, unless you have a trustable techy friend.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    That's not a bad price. It's not a hard job, but there are some fiddly little bits inside a laptop that are easy to break, so if you're not confident with it, a shop is a better bet, unless you have a trustable techy friend.
    Thanks, I thought it was decent enough tbh :) I wouldn't be at all confident, knowing me I'd get the laptop apart and not get it back together. I'm beyond useless with stuff like this.

According to the shop I enquired in, it takes 90 mins from start to finish which sounds grand to me :)

Advertisement