Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheds: plastic, metal or timber? low hassle?

Options
  • 15-04-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a shed for storage. I understand there are disadvantages with all materials. Steel rusts, timber rots, plastic blows over/away.

I am looking for good value and good durability in a size from 6' * 4' to 6' * 12'.

Where I am living there are strong winds. In my previous house, my genius housemates left the door of our 6*4 plastic shed open during a storm and it blew over (despite having 5 car wheels&tyres in it). I don't want to have to paint/treat a metal or wood shed or replace it after ten years either.

I have heard advice that I would need a base..either slabs or poured concrete.

I have heard advice that I could use an anchor kit that would tie a plastic base to the ground, but that the sides could be ripped off the base or the sides could be ripped apart.

Anyone recommend a good place to get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

all down to dollars but steel shed is the way to go with a concrete base...no need for a foundation...steel is pvc coated so will last a long time...base is something you can do yourself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Isn't condensation a problem with steel sheds?

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Isn't condensation a problem with steel sheds?

I have a insulated steel shed, 50mm walls...very effective but I was concerned with its first winter regarding condensation but not one single drop!....single skin steel sheds are sprayed with a foam coating to prevent the dreaded drip drip...i think most company's provide this as standard on single skins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

GarMani wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a shed for storage. I understand there are disadvantages with all materials. Steel rusts, timber rots, plastic blows over/away.

I am looking for good value and good durability in a size from 6' * 4' to 6' * 12'.

Where I am living there are strong winds. In my previous house, my genius housemates left the door of our 6*4 plastic shed open during a storm and it blew over (despite having 5 car wheels&tyres in it). I don't want to have to paint/treat a metal or wood shed or replace it after ten years either.

I have heard advice that I would need a base..either slabs or poured concrete.

I have heard advice that I could use an anchor kit that would tie a plastic base to the ground, but that the sides could be ripped off the base or the sides could be ripped apart.

Anyone recommend a good place to get one?

Bricks

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GarMani

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Bricks

Agreed, but how much would that cost and would I have to get planning permission, even if it is built in the corner of the lawn that is not visible from the road, as it would be visible from the neighbour's upstairs windows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Agreed, but how much would that cost and would I have to get planning permission, even if it is built in the corner of the lawn that is not visible from the road, as it would be visible from the neighbour's upstairs windows?

In order for this structure to be exempted development, it should not be placed forward of the front wall of the house. The total area of the structure, when taken with other similar structures, which may have been previously constructed, should not exceed 25sq m.

The amount of open space, which should remain to the rear or side of the house, should not be reduced below 25sq m. The external finishes of the structure, should match the house. The height of the structure should not exceed 4m if finished with a pitched roof, or 3m if it has a flat roof.

The structure should not be used for human habitation or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses or any other purpose, other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If site exposed, but in corner of a garden then maybe a third wall on the base would give any shed protection from wind, or a hit and miss fence on that side, just leaving enough room to get around.

re dimensions quoted by do doc, some LA's go on external measurements for the 25 sq m

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

All good advice it seems, thanks. Next problem would probably be that most builders are probably flat out building 300k houses and are not going to want to build me a shed for 2k. I am in Cork city where prices are going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

All good advice it seems, thanks. Next problem would probably be that most builders are probably flat out building 300k houses and are not going to want to build me a shed for 2k. I am in Cork city where prices are going mad.
    Why not self-build? You can get a lot of info on Youtube, including all the skills required for a project like this, and unlike building a dwelling, you won't have building inspectors breathing down your neck. As a bonus you will save money and experience a feeling of pride and personal growth

...hmmm....well for either shed, bricks or steel you will need a base...in my case shed was 34x17 they came at 10am and gone at 3..i had nothing to do but close the roller door behind me, no mess no fuss...I could have built the whole thing myself in bricks etc...just wouldnt be cost effective even as a chippy by trade...

• Advertisement

Any estimation of how much that would cost? What company did you employ?

Any estimation of how much that would cost? What company did you employ?

I used adman steel sheds... it was a 34x17'x10' to roof pitch (50mm HD insulated panels) less all the extras i got it would have been 8k ish and 3k less at that size for no insulation .... even if I could build it for that I just didnt want to deal the mess, sand, cement for blocks then plastering...having to depend on weather etc...for me having the inside finished, no plastering, slabs etc was just to hard to resist.. no shed at 10am...big shed at 3... job done

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/Fox7239/DSC_0212.jpg

Advertisement