Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tectite Classic Fitting Range Problems

• 15-04-2016 6:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

Since building my house in 2002, we have now had 13 water leaks from tectite fittings breaking down on the hot water circuit. They were manufactured by Yorkshire Peglar and supposedly have a 25 year guarantee! Has anyone else had issues with this product??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Since building my house in 2002, we have now had 13 water leaks from tectite fittings breaking down on the hot water circuit. They were manufactured by Yorkshire Peglar and supposedly have a 25 year guarantee! Has anyone else had issues with this product??

Not me personally. We're the fittings located too close to the cylinder or boiler?
    Will they honour the warranty?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 margueriteob

The house is located 12 meters from the boiler, which is in the garage at the back of the house. An independent analyst determined that the fittings broke down due solely to poor composition. No they are not honoring the warranty.

The house is located 12 meters from the boiler, which is in the garage at the back of the house. An independent analyst determined that the fittings broke down due solely to poor composition. No they are not honoring the warranty.

What reason did they give for not honouring it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This might sound stupid but were they installed correctly. I've only ever seen them fail if not pushed home or no insert fitted.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What reason did they give for not honouring it?

They are refusing the fact that the fittings are disintegrating.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This might sound stupid but were they installed correctly. I've only ever seen them fail if not pushed home or no insert fitted.

They are installed correctly. The fittings are actually disintegrating, and as it's happening to literally all of them on the hot water circuit, there's no other explanation other than the fittings being bad.

They are refusing the fact that the fittings are disintegrating.

Yes but if the fittings are leaking they must give you an explanation. They can't just bury their heads on the sand.

They are installed correctly. The fittings are actually disintegrating, and as it's happening to literally all of them on the hot water circuit, there's no other explanation other than the fittings being bad.

If it's only on the hot water pipes & not the cold I wonder has a thermostat failed & the water hotter than the recommended maximum. A friend replaced an immersion thermostat last week. The Tennant rang the landlord afterwards giving out. He couldn't understand why he no longer had steam on the hot kitchen tap. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

I fit them all the time and have never had any issues with them.

Is it the brass part of the fitting that's breaking down or the rubber o-rings? Possibly something in the water attacking the fitting, are you drawing water from a well by any chance? Have you had the water tested?

Are they actually tectite fittings? Brass body with green plastic? Or a different brand?

Edit. After googling I discovered that genuine tectite fittings are brass and brown plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭PK27

I would have a water test done, like the post above me, I use them a lot and never have trouble. In the past if used the ones with the brown plastic and we were having some trouble with them weeping. Not by deterioration, but from the rubber o ring failing. The green plastic are always perfect.
    Now, consider that the "seal" on a tectite fitting is literally just the rubber o ring (simple, but cleverly done). If that isn't failing then the intended seals are working. If the ACTUAL BODY of the fitting is disintegrating, then there are two reasons in my opinion. Either something in the water source is eating away at the brass, which is unlikely, or possibly something was added to the system that's attacking it.
    What's strange is that regardless of the brand of fitting, all fittings, compression or push fit, are made from brass. So would the same thing be happening regardless of fitting brand???
    That's why I would go towards something being added to the water.
    Lastly, is there a problem with the actual brass mix of the fitting? I'm no scientist but I imagine fittings are a large percentage brass, with some "fillers".
    So has the manufacturer messed up on the brass itself?
    I'd be very interested to hear how this turns out, I've never heard of it before.

It's on the hot water side. So there's nothing that coujd be added. If it's well water, it could be that the water is acidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭PK27

Also, are the leaking fittings in concrete? If so, it would explain a lot.

After googling I discovered that genuine tectite fittings are brass and brown plastic.

PK27 wrote: »
    I would have a water test done, like the post above me, I use them a lot and never have trouble. In the past if used the ones with the brown plastic and we were having some trouble with them weeping.

The brown plastic ones are metric and the green ones are imperial.....probably explains why you've had some weeping...

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's on the hot water side. So there's nothing that coujd be added. If it's well water, it could be that the water is acidic.

The chemical make up of the water is fine, it has been tested.

PK27 wrote: »
    Also, are the leaking fittings in concrete? If so, it would explain a lot.

No they are fitted in timber joists, with a double fire slab underneath and a high degree ventilation in between the joists.

Are they actually tectite fittings? Brass body with green plastic? Or a different brand?

Edit. After googling I discovered that genuine tectite fittings are brass and brown plastic.

The fittings are made from brass. A metal laboratory tested the fittings and said that they develop pinholes which cause the leaking. The green and brown parts of the fitting disintegrate also.

This doesn't make sense to me. I could understand either the plastic or the brass failing though I've never heard of either failing but for both to fail does suggest that the fittings have been contaminated. If it happened in the factory there would be a whole batch of them & the place you bought them from would have gotten more complaints. It's possible there was something in the water at some point but not there at time of testing.
    It's also interesting that it's only on the hot water side

Edit: I just read that back to myself and it might sound like I don't believe you. This is not the case

Any pics of the disintegrated fittings?

I am a new user to boards, cant post pics yet

• Advertisement

I am a new user to boards, cant post pics yet

Go post a full stop on another forum 42 times then you can post pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if OP had any update or how it ended up?

A friend is having a very similar problem with Tectite fittings leaking in several areas in ceiling voids and wondering if she will have any comeback in what could be a considerable cost to replace them.

Advertisement