Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timberframe

Options
  • 15-04-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Anyone on here build timberframe or kit/modular in the past few years?

Please PM any company recommendations, as I don't think it's allowed to post them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 edding4321

Hi there - quick question - did you get many names back?. Would you mind PMing me?. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

There are a number of timber frame companies around across the country.

You could get a carpenter to build a timber frame for cheaper but the experience and knowledge of the timber frame companies can reduce the chances of issues.

I was forced to go timber frame due to time constraints and wouldn't recommend it. The quality of work is Terrible on any that I seen and on my own but I am a carpenter and more particular than most. it's also impossible to know what you paid for is what I got as it comes all warpped. The walls wills will have multiple different u-values. There is also a lot of extras that you would not think of like underfloor heating upstairs, venting the timber frame. False walls where external block leaf is not possible etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some of the work I'm seeing is scandalous on timber frames.

I've been Involved with timber frame builds in the past and when correctly detailed, it is possible to design in steel to ensure block outer leaf can be constructed in 99 percent of cases but now, I'm seeing houses with up to 50 percent of the outer leaf being ply. That's just lazy detailing and a terrible build imo.

Advertisement