Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious troubles with room rental

Options
  • 15-04-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey Guys,

I am renting a room at the owner's house and I am having serious trouble with them. As I am a licensee I know that I am not protected by the Residential Tenancies Act or PRTB, but I would still like to ask for some advice.

When I moved in to the house we agreed on a rent of €500 per month which includes gas, water, electricity and internet + breakfast. Later the owner told me she would give me a discount if I stayed for 6 month, so I would only have to pay €450 per month if I pay her the 6 months' rent in one go.

She also told me that I can use the cooking facilities. After I paid and moved in it turned out yet, that she doesn't let me cook and asks €60 for lunch (which consists of a sandwich for €2/day). She also wants €200 for dinner/month. Besides that she asks €6 for a load of washing machine, sometimes even if I bring her a small amount of clothes, she still tries to manipulate it into two washes. Had I known these conditions before I moved in, I wouldn't have accepted her offer.

Besides that they breach my privacy as well, sometimes coming into my room without knocking, not letting me go to the doctor alone and trying to curb my personal freedom. The landlady wants to intermingle into my personal life as well, saying bad things of my boyfriend. They are also Jehova's Witnesses and are trying to convert me or involve me in their activities even though I denied interest. They are angry that I have to work on Sunday instead of going to the Kingdom Hall with them.

Above that, a few days ago the landlord restricted my internet access. Before I moved in it was agreed that I can have internet access, as I am working from a home office. Now I can't do that, because they took away my access days ago, and I am on the neighbour's network.

My friends found another accommodation for me where I would like to go, however if I go, then the owners won't give my 5 months' rent back and I am afraid of losing a lot of money. They did that with my Italian house mate too, they took 6 months' rent and now that he has to go home, he is losing about 3 months' rent. Do you guys think I can seek legal help to get my money back? My life is a nightmare here, and I don't think I could stay another 5 months, rental crisis or not...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Two words .

Get out

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bemese wrote: »
    not letting me go to the doctor alone and trying to curb my personal freedom
    Consider legal aid, as this sounds illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Gatling wrote: »
    Two words .

Get out

I agree, it is a civil dispute nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Can I suggest you write all down that they have breached your verbal contract and put it to them they can't do it. You,re going to have to be strong here.

Go to a local laundret and get ur clothes done. See if you can either buy in/bring in cooked meals and re heat them in microwave . (make batched food)

Internet,, can you get a dongle , usually cheap enough . 10/15 a month

Just keep ur distance and put up with it to use up at least 3/4 of ur 6 months .

Get hell out of there then.

Hope this advice can help. I was stuck in a bad place once, its no joke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Have you clearly communicated to them all of the complaints that you have listed above? In a conflict situation it doesn't help to avoid confrontation.

The reason I ask is, when I see you saying that you told them you "have to work on Sunday instead of going to Kingdom Hall with them", I think that you are maybe not being assertive enough. If the main reason you don't go is that you have no interest in going, and you are not happy with them pressurizing you, then it's best to say that. Whether you have to work or not is besides the point.

How could they prevent you from going to the doctor alone?

If you leave without attempting to sort out the issues, then I think it's very unlikely you'll be entitled to money back. For free advice to see if you have any legal options that you can use against them, you could try http://www.flac.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Document all complaints with as much evidence as you have. Then meet them together with your boyfriend and go through each complaint and ask them to rectify them. If they won't rectify them, tell them that you want out of the contract and that you want your money back, otherwise you would have to sue them (I think the small claims court would apply for this).

If they don't rectify your complaints and don't give you your money back, you might also consider to threaten them to report them to the elders of their Jehova's Witnesses congregation (they do have a very strict disciplinary system). They might back down after this threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hey Guys,

I am renting a room at the owner's house and I am having serious trouble with them. As I am a licensee I know that I am not protected by the Residential Tenancies Act or PRTB, but I would still like to ask for some advice.

When I moved in to the house we agreed on a rent of €500 per month which includes gas, water, electricity and internet + breakfast. Later the owner told me she would give me a discount if I stayed for 6 month, so I would only have to pay €450 per month if I pay her the 6 months' rent in one go.

She also told me that I can use the cooking facilities. After I paid and moved in it turned out yet, that she doesn't let me cook and asks €60 for lunch (which consists of a sandwich for €2/day). She also wants €200 for dinner/month. Besides that she asks €6 for a load of washing machine, sometimes even if I bring her a small amount of clothes, she still tries to manipulate it into two washes. Had I known these conditions before I moved in, I wouldn't have accepted her offer.

Besides that they breach my privacy as well, sometimes coming into my room without knocking, not letting me go to the doctor alone and trying to curb my personal freedom. The landlady wants to intermingle into my personal life as well, saying bad things of my boyfriend. They are also Jehova's Witnesses and are trying to convert me or involve me in their activities even though I denied interest. They are angry that I have to work on Sunday instead of going to the Kingdom Hall with them.

Above that, a few days ago the landlord restricted my internet access. Before I moved in it was agreed that I can have internet access, as I am working from a home office. Now I can't do that, because they took away my access days ago, and I am on the neighbour's network.

My friends found another accommodation for me where I would like to go, however if I go, then the owners won't give my 5 months' rent back and I am afraid of losing a lot of money. They did that with my Italian house mate too, they took 6 months' rent and now that he has to go home, he is losing about 3 months' rent. Do you guys think I can seek legal help to get my money back? My life is a nightmare here, and I don't think I could stay another 5 months, rental crisis or not...

Ahh move out.. Nothing good will come of this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bemese

Thanks guys. I wouldn't really like to leave €1800 with these people and unfortunately it's very hard to put up with their behaviour, so we'll consider the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Why did you pay up front for complete term of the rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thanks guys. I wouldn't really like to leave €1800 with these people and unfortunately it's very hard to put up with their behaviour, so we'll consider the small claims court.

Best option if you can bring a claim. Maybe look into the 'rules ' that JW have to follow might be enough . . After you move out perhaps could say your going to write to the watchtower with your issues and their behaviour. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Best option if you can bring a claim. Maybe look into the 'rules ' that JW have to follow might be enough . . After you move out perhaps could say your going to write to the watchtower with your issues and their behaviour. ...
    And do so regardless :pac:

ongarite wrote: »
    Why did you pay up front for complete term of the rental?

Because they gave me a discount for long term stay and of course they didn't tell me about them being JW or about the other tricky things.

In the meantime I found out that the property belongs to an agency (DNG Creedon) and these guys are just renting it. I guess I can call the agency and let them know that they are illegally subletting the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

In the meantime I found out that the property belongs to an agency (DNG Creedon) and these guys are just renting it. I guess I can call the agency and let them know that they are illegally subletting the property.

Bingo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You could use to your benefit op and play that with the one you paid see what they are like then.

Sounds very close to becoming their slave if it were me i would be gone or there would be 2 ambulances needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Do that after you leave as it'll be you that gets ejected first.

Before you attempt to go through the small claims court (assuming it gets to that ... ), go through their church elders; most direct - and I dare say effective - route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

How old are you OP?

I find them going to the doctor with you extremely odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    How old are you OP?

I would call it extremely worrying and they obviously are wearing her down to convert.

Sounds very cult like tactics and op seriously needs to get out.

You dont know what they are capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

SB_Part2 wrote: »

I would find it utterly bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We don't know how old the OP is, what their spoken English is like, and whether they could find the doctor's surgery without assistance.

It's very, very unlikely that the doctor would see the OP with anyone else in the room, unless a translator was needed.

Possibly the home-stay parents (which is what a deal that includes accommodation, bills, breakfast and internet sounds like) may have a contract with the college etc that they provide transport to medical appointments.

• Advertisement

We don't know how old the OP is, what their spoken English is like, and whether they could find the doctor's surgery without assistance.

It's very, very unlikely that the doctor would see the OP with anyone else in the room, unless a translator was needed.

Possibly the home-stay parents (which is what a deal that includes accommodation, bills, breakfast and internet sounds like) may have a contract with the college etc that they provide transport to medical appointments.

I am 36, my English is good enough, so I don't need to avail of the services of a translator. They took me in first, because I was very sick and couldn't have gone alone, but the woman started talking to my doctor in a way that she had to ask back "and who are you"? No such agreement was made with parents or college that they'll transfer me to the doctor.

As I have to regularly visit a doctor due to a B12 deficiency, they wanted to take me by car to the second appointment and wanted to pick me up after the appointment. I had to force my way out of it. But they started harassing me on the phone, I have a proof of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bemese-

You need to get out asap.
    Your B12 deficiency- just needs to be monitored- i.e. via blood tests- there is a critical illness forum where a number of posters with B12 deficiencies post (including myself).

It sounds like you're going to have to leave asap- and pursue repayment of the 2 grand odd- after the fact- there is no merit in staying just because they owe you the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Leave and go to small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Bermese - you're 36, a grown-up. You need to leave this situation. Set out the reasons why to your landlords & why you no longer want to stay. Ask for the return of your unused rent & that you wish to end the arrangement in a civilised fashion.
    If they become tricky then you have the fall-back of contacting the church or the letting agency. Perhaps the threat of doing so will actually be enough.
    But your immediate concern should be finding a new place to live. There's no benefit to you to staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

am i missing something???

how how the hell can they stop you from going to a doctor on your own????????

are you confined to a wheelchair or disabled in some way???

April 73 wrote: »
    Bermese - you're 36, a grown-up. You need to leave this situation. Set out the reasons why to your landlords & why you no longer want to stay. Ask for the return of your unused rent & that you wish to end the arrangement in a civilised fashion.
    If they become tricky then you have the fall-back of contacting the church or the letting agency. Perhaps the threat of doing so will actually be enough.
    But your immediate concern should be finding a new place to live. There's no benefit to you to staying.

Yes, I am looking at a place in a friend's house next Wednesday and if that becomes available I'll move out at the beginning of May. Otherwise I'll look further, though I am a bit afraid of the housing crisis. The first concern will be to get out.

fryup wrote: »
    am i missing something???

how how the hell can they stop you from going to a doctor on your own????????

are you confined to a wheelchair or disabled in some way???

No I am neither in a wheelchair nor am I disabled. They just want to take me by car when I step out of the door even though I told them no. Of course the first time I let them do it, because I was very sick. But the second time when I had to go to my B12 injection I didn't want them to come and said no. They also wanted to pick me up after my doctor's appointment and take me home. I didn't let them do that and they started phoning me asking where I was and why I didn't go home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

No I am neither in a wheelchair nor am I disabled. They just want to take me by car when I step out of the door even though I told them no. Of course the first time I let them do it, because I was very sick. But the second time when I had to go to my B12 injection I didn't want them to come and said no. They also wanted to pick me up after my doctor's appointment and take me home. I didn't let them do that and they started phoning me asking where I was and why I didn't go home with them.

WTF. I would be thinking they wanted to know whether I was being treated for something "sinful" or requesting birth control or (horrors) getting or giving blood. Forget that. I would be reporting them to the police in case they made a habit of that controlling, abusive BS. Next thing they'll be forbidding you to leave the house altogether (and since the rent's paid up for six months, what do you need to leave the house for, anyway...).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Bizarre...

Just FYI though, technically they're not subletting as it's a licencee agreement. Subletting is where a tenant would be letting out the entire place.
    They would also only be in breach of this provided they are currently in a fixed term contract with this stated in the terms of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It really is outside the remit of this forum for me to state this- however- most GPs allow patients give themselves B12 (either Cytamen or Neocytamen i.e. Cyanocobalamin) injections. Its nothing out of the ordinary. Talk to your GP- it'll save you a lot of visits.

As for the current situation- just get the hell out of there- life is too short. Whether or not you get the money back- is secondary- of primary concern- you need to get the hell out of there asap.

Advertisement