Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious troubles with room rental

Options

Comments

This situation is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I agree that you need to get somewhere else: there's no way that this can become a happy situation for you.

But I can still see that there is another side to this story: You agreed to a very unusual type of room rental - more like on-going BnB than house sharing. You'd barely arrived in these people's house when you got so sick that they had to take you to the doctor. I'd say that most home-owners would be pretty freaked by that, and would be expressing on-going concern about your wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bemese

I agree that you need to get somewhere else: there's no way that this can become a happy situation for you.

But I can still see that there is another side to this story: You agreed to a very unusual type of room rental - more like on-going BnB than house sharing. You'd barely arrived in these people's house when you got so sick that they had to take you to the doctor. I'd say that most home-owners would be pretty freaked by that, and would be expressing on-going concern about your wellbeing.

I didn't agree to her asking €260 for food or €6 for laundry load. Had I known that before moving in, I would have never ever moved in, that's for sure. The wife only told these costs to me when I was already in there. The thing is also, that as far as I know official BnBs have to be approved and advertised. This accommodation wasn't advertised as a BnB, there are no signs, that this is a BnB, it's just a regular house. So in case they operate this as a BnB it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Have you a written agreement from them regarding the lease?

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Have you a written agreement from them regarding the lease?

No. I only got a receipt from them.

• Advertisement

Does the receipt say for what you've paid? i.e. one double bedroom, or B&B or...?

Does the receipt say for what you've paid? i.e. one double bedroom, or B&B or...?

It says rental of a single-occupancy room for a period of six months. So definitely not a BnB.

Yeah, I find it absolutely bizarre they're looking for extra money. Have you a screenshot of the original ad on daft or anything?
    They sound like a pair of fruit-loops either way..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bemese wrote: »
    as far as I know official BnBs have to be approved and advertised. This accommodation wasn't advertised as a BnB, there are no signs, that this is a BnB, it's just a regular house. So in case they operate this as a BnB it's illegal.

No, not necessarily at all.

If someone is offering you bed and breakfast, then that by definition it is a "bed and breakfast".

There is such thing as official BnBs. There are ones that are registered with Failte Ireland, and which can therefore advertise themselves in specific ways. And there are planning conditions that home-owners have to comply with - which may say "no short term letting".

But that's all pretty irrelevant.

My point is simply that there are at least two sides to every story. While most posters are sympathising with you totally, I'm wondering what exactly is going on, and why any adult would accept and pay up-front for this type of accommodation in the first place (with or without extra fees) and if there might be more to the story than you're telling.

Yeah, I find it absolutely bizarre they're looking for extra money. Have you a screenshot of the original ad on daft or anything?
    They sound like a pair of fruit-loops either way..

They didn't advertise it on daft, they found me on facebook.

• Advertisement

No, not necessarily at all.

If someone is offering you bed and breakfast, then that by definition it is a "bed and breakfast".

There is such thing as official BnBs. There are ones that are registered with Failte Ireland, and which can therefore advertise themselves in specific ways. And there are planning conditions that home-owners have to comply with - which may say "no short term letting".

But that's all pretty irrelevant.

My point is simply that there are at least two sides to every story. While most posters are sympathising with you totally, I'm wondering what exactly is going on, and why any adult would accept and pay up-front for this type of accommodation in the first place (with or without extra fees) and if there might be more to the story than you're telling.

The reason is housing crisis. We were evicted from our previous tenancy and as I have to work from home I needed something urgently and it was very difficult to find room at a proper price. I can't afford to pay €700-800 for accommodation as I start my master's degree in September and will have to concentrate on that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just get out of there. I appreciate that you're down 1,800- however, deal with that issue separately- you need to get out of there asap.

Screams dodgy to me.
    I'm actually a little worried for you!

Screams dodgy to me.
    I'm actually a little worried for you!

I know it's not easy to find something else, but will try to get out of here as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I also find this strange. Did you advertise looking for a room on a FB page?

Have you had a chat with your LLs yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The reason is housing crisis. We were evicted from our previous tenancy and as I have to work from home I needed something urgently and it was very difficult to find room at a proper price. I can't afford to pay €700-800 for accommodation as I start my master's degree in September and will have to concentrate on that.

Why were you evicted from your last rental and what did the others you were living with do for accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Bemese wrote:
    In the meantime I found out that the property belongs to an agency (DNG Creedon) and these guys are just renting it. I guess I can call the agency and let them know that they are illegally subletting the property.

Lads & lassies, if she reports them to the PRTB after she moves out what are the consequences for the tenants?
    Am I right in saying there's a 'bad tenants registry' on the PRTB or am I thinking of something else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

hytrogen wrote: »
    Lads & lassies, if she reports them to the PRTB after she moves out what are the consequences for the tenants?
    Am I right in saying there's a 'bad tenants registry' on the PRTB or am I thinking of something else??

Nothing to do with the RTB as the op is living with owner occupiers.

No such registry either.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

athtrasna wrote:
    Nothing to do with the RTB as the op is living with owner occupiers.

No such registry either.

Ta!
    I thought she said the occupiers were renting the property but might have crossed wires..
    I'll continue this idea in another thread anyway..

• Advertisement

hytrogen wrote: »
    Ta!
    I thought she said the occupiers were renting the property but might have crossed wires..
    I'll continue this idea in another thread anyway..

You are right, they are not the owners. They're renting the house from an agency. I had a conversation with them yesterday telling them that €260 for food and €6 for a wash load are unreasonably high and the lady retorted "I am not going to lose money on you".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You are right, they are not the owners. They're renting the house from an agency. I had a conversation with them yesterday telling them that €260 for food and €6 for a wash load are unreasonably high and the lady retorted "I am not going to lose money on you".

Why are you even having this conversation with them?
    You want out- period.
    You are not seeking to renegotiate the rent and sundry costs- you want out.

Stheno wrote: »
    Why were you evicted from your last rental and what did the others you were living with do for accommodation?

The owner couldn't pay the mortgage and had to sell the house. Two of the others were from abroad and went back to their home countries. I don't know what the remaining two ex-housemates did.

There may have been some crossed wires at the start since they found you on facebook and could paint taking you in as a kind of charity. However the shenanigans with the six months rent in advance puts an end to that.

1. State clearly that you want to move out and that you want the balance back. Tell them you will speak to the elders if they dont oblige within a week.
    2. If money not returned, do speak to th elders.

The JW have an internal security system worthy of the Stasi with a disciplinary system to match. Each congregation has to report regularly to HQ centre in New York and its likely that that are already aware of this thread.
    I knew a JW girl of 22 who was terrified of them. She was under pressure to marry and knew that to leave would involve her family and friends shunning her...

Why are you even having this conversation with them?
    You want out- period.
    You are not seeking to renegotiate the rent and sundry costs- you want out.

She caught me yesterday and told me that we should talk as she sees there is trouble. I told her what the trouble is and that I want out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

She caught me yesterday and told me that we should talk as she sees there is trouble. I told her what the trouble is and that I want out.

Please make someone near you aware of what is going on before you are retaliated against. Abuse counselors will tell you that the time after you tell your abuser that you want out is the most dangerous time. If you have not reported your landlord's behavior to the police yet, this is the time to do it. I would be immensely relieved if no retaliation happened, but I don't think much of those people based on what you've told us so far. I don't trust the religious elders to be on your side against their own, to be honest, though I agree they should be informed. I'm literally concerned for your safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That still makes you a licensee with no recourse to the RTB.

I would put your complaint in writing to the landlady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

OP, can you please go to speak to someone at Threshold or Citizens' Advise as soon as possible.

If you're at a university please go to the Accommodation Officer or student advisory service. Most universities have something like this.

Do you've any family members or friends you could stay with temporally?

You're describing a very strange, controlling and possibly even abusive situation. You need to get out of there asap. I don't see any point in entering negotiations with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Bizarre and creepy carry on. OP get the **** out of there ASAP and don't look back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

I don't see where this hyperbole is coming from. What abuse is everyone talking about ? Sure it's a bit weird and the pay off front thing is stupid, but I don't see exactly what abuse it was.

The couple are just strange and not the type you want to be living with. Just get your money back and move on.

OP is very unclear about what is happening. for example:

"She caught me yesterday and told me that we should talk as she sees there is trouble. I told her what the trouble is and that I want out. "

That is a very vague description of the conversation. Was there any conclusions or agreements? How did they react?

Advertisement