Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door caller selling charity puzzle book

Options
  • 15-04-2016 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Had a young guy call to he door selling a puzzle book for a 'sick child' yesterday evening. Gave him a small donation and sent him on his way but in retrospect I'm not completely happy about it.
    The guy seemed genuine enough but it all seemed a.bit of a tall tale. Anybody else get a knock on the door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Had a young guy call to he door selling a puzzle book for a 'sick child' yesterday evening. Gave him a small donation and sent him on his way but in retrospect I'm not completely happy about it.
    The guy seemed genuine enough but it all seemed a.bit of a tall tale. Anybody else get a knock on the door?

Where are you based? Didn't get a knock on the door here in Douglas.
    What did it say on his identification?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Was it a normal puzzle book or a charity type book?

And what charity did the person represent?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

I went through the same incident and the puzzle book read 'Hope for Cian' with a picture of a young child (Cian) with oxygen flow tube in the nose. I paid €10 and purchased the puzzle book thinking that it's for a good cause. I could see many others having paid 1/2/5 euros and entered the amount details in a book which the rep was holding. This happened around few months back.

OP, is it the same book that you got/saw?

Some details of the subject was found here link here

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

mac.in wrote: »
    I went through the same incident and the puzzle book read 'Hope for Cian' with a picture of a young child (Cian) with oxygen flow tube in the nose. I paid €10 and purchased the puzzle book thinking that it's for a good cause. I could see many others having paid 1/2/5 euros and entered the amount details in a book which the rep was holding. This happened around few months back.

OP, is it the same book that you got/saw?

Some details of the subject was found here link here

Yes, that looks very similar. I think he called it "Care for Cian". I'm almost certain the name was Cian but he definitely said the family were from Ballincollig and had been "all over the radio" in the last few weeks. So, I'm not sure if it is the same child.
    It was a "charity" puzzle book. I didn't actually take the book/magazine but gave them a donation nonetheless. His ID simply had his own name and the logo of the 'charity'. Didn't look very official at all.
    In retrospect, there were so many questions I could and should have asked: Are you a registered charity? Why haven't I heard of this before? How much of a cut are you getting, etc. but at the stage in the evening I'm just keen to get rid of these people and get on with things.

• Advertisement

Deer wrote: »

No, that wasn't them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TheFin

If the collector is genuine they wont mind a quick snap with your phone?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Yes, that looks very similar. I think he called it "Care for Cian". I'm almost certain the name was Cian but he definitely said the family were from Ballincollig and had been "all over the radio" in the last few weeks. So, I'm not sure if it is the same child.
    It was a "charity" puzzle book. I didn't actually take the book/magazine but gave them a donation nonetheless. His ID simply had his own name and the logo of the 'charity'. Didn't look very official at all.
    In retrospect, there were so many questions I could and should have asked: Are you a registered charity? Why haven't I heard of this before? How much of a cut are you getting, etc. but at the stage in the evening I'm just keen to get rid of these people and get on with things.

Google "Care For Cian Ballincollig".Brings up nothing,apart from this thread.If it was high profile as yer man said you'd think it'd be online,or in the likes of the Cork Independent,Echo etc.I'd be passing on this to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

We had the same caller last night in Blackrock. I wasn't home from work but my son and his girlfriend were home and gave the lad a tenner for the book. I didn't look at the book, but I was under the impression that the collection was for a children's hospital rather than an individual child.

I'm going to check it out when I get home and see if it's official or not. Even if it is above board I think charging a tenner is a bit steep for something like this, although I suppose there's no obligation to buy it if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

There was a similar one of these with a €10 cookery book last year. Again, when looking for the child who was being fund raised for I couldn't find a Facebook page, echo, examiner article nothing...... I did look at the back page and there was the printer/distributor company name there. Did a little research and the guy who owned it had a few folded business behind him. Direct marketing type efforts. Looked dodgy then and this looks identical.

• Advertisement

I have no idea if this is related or the same people or not but I found this interesting article from Scotland:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/vulture-back-in-business-after-charity-1014073#ee37UHeuLGqj5J82.97

We had the same caller last night in Blackrock. I wasn't home from work but my son and his girlfriend were home and gave the lad a tenner for the book. I didn't look at the book, but I was under the impression that the collection was for a children's hospital rather than an individual child.

I'm going to check it out when I get home and see if it's official or not. Even if it is above board I think charging a tenner is a bit steep for something like this, although I suppose there's no obligation to buy it if you don't want to.

Thanks, if you could give a description (photo?) of the book, I'd be interested to see if it's the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Thanks, if you could give a description (photo?) of the book, I'd be interested to see if it's the same one.

I'm not tech savvy enough to be able to take a photo of it and put it on Boards!

I will be able to give a description of it tomorrow though if you can bear the suspense till then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I just had a member of the Casey's Dream Appeal here in Douglas/Ballinlough area at the door a short while ago.

I think the two are getting confused, I understand from news articles that Care for Cian is in Dublin; but Casey's Dream Appeal is Ballincollig, Cork..

In any case, the small team of volunteers for Casey's Dream Appeal are going around door to door, the woman I spoke to (in her 20s) are connected to the family (friends of the family), the activity books are €10 (It says it on the back) it's a yellow A4 booklet with pink writing on the front with a few photos of Casey herself, the first page is a colour in the princess, etc. with further puzzles like unscramble words etc. The volunteer I spoke to, she and the others do have name and information on a badge around the neck, they also have a laminated verification you can ask to see to confirm they are who they are. And I was made aware at the same time she was talking to me, another of the group was at my neighbours. The woman I spoke to I can identify from the facebook page; Seemed legit to me for Casey's Dream Appeal.

However in the middle of typing this someone else called to the door, they didn't stick around long for me to answer but looked up the road to see two men waiting by my neighbour's house, and they continued to walk up the road. They didn't seem to have anything on them that I could see, the woman I spoke to had a backpack with lots of booklets in it and verification and I thought the second caller to the door in a short space was a bit odd. May be just pure coincidence to have two callers at the door in a short space of time.

I'm not tech savvy enough to be able to take a photo of it and put it on Boards!

I will be able to give a description of it tomorrow though if you can bear the suspense till then :)

I don't think I can bear it!! :)

In particular, it would be good to know the name of the organisation/charity

orthsquel wrote: »
    I just had a member of the Casey's Dream Appeal here in Douglas/Ballinlough area at the door a short while ago.

I think the two are getting confused, I understand from news articles that Care for Cian is in Dublin; but Casey's Dream Appeal is Ballincollig, Cork..

In any case, the small team of volunteers for Casey's Dream Appeal are going around door to door, the woman I spoke to (in her 20s) are connected to the family (friends of the family), the activity books are €10 (It says it on the back) it's a yellow A4 booklet with pink writing on the front with a few photos of Casey herself, the first page is a colour in the princess, etc. with further puzzles like unscramble words etc. The volunteer I spoke to, she and the others do have name and information on a badge around the neck, they also have a laminated verification you can ask to see to confirm they are who they are. And I was made aware at the same time she was talking to me, another of the group was at my neighbours. The woman I spoke to I can identify from the facebook page; Seemed legit to me for Casey's Dream Appeal.

However in the middle of typing this someone else called to the door, they didn't stick around long for me to answer but looked up the road to see two men waiting by my neighbour's house, and they continued to walk up the road. They didn't seem to have anything on them that I could see, the woman I spoke to had a backpack with lots of booklets in it and verification and I thought the second caller to the door in a short space was a bit odd. May be just pure coincidence to have two callers at the door in a short space of time.

There was certainly no mention of "Casey" when I talked to the callers at my door. It's particularly unfortunate if a genuine charity is getting confused with somebody else but I can certainly say that the people who I am referring to in my original post did not claim to be affiliated to "Casey's Dream Appeal".

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Today, I got another person saying to be representing Casey's Dream Appeal. He carried few books with him. He mentioned to be Casey's maternal uncle. Having read in this forum about Casey, I donated to that man and got that book; the book is yellow colored front page with 3 photos. 2dv4nwm.jpg

As MrTea has said there should be some way where one can verify the authenticity of the reps/project. Otherwise, genuine projects couldn't be differentiated with the fraud ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TheFin

Just turned away a couple of guys collecting for Bumbleance which I'd never heard of...quick Google and there it was; well deserving cause.....I gave directly online instead so they got a donation and I was able to check it was a credible charity. Win-win

mac.in wrote: »
    Today, I got another person saying to be representing Casey's Dream Appeal. He carried few books with him. He mentioned to be Casey's maternal uncle. Having read in this forum about Casey, I donated to that man and got that book; the book is yellow colored front page with 3 photos. 2dv4nwm.jpg

As MrTea has said there should be some way where one can verify the authenticity of the reps/project. Otherwise, genuine projects couldn't be differentiated with the fraud ones.

This wasn't the same people who called to my door but seems to be basically the same idea in terms of raising money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

These campaigns do tend to come around once to twice a year for deserving youngsters. I would be concerned if someone is still collecting for Cian. There was a campaign for him in 2014 or early 2015, but he sadly passed away last year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/boy-4-who-sparked-hope-for-cian-campaign-dies-1.2380025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I was on a bus around two weeks ago and two young men were discussing a charity they were working for (I believe they were heading off to a housing estate looking for donations). It was one of the lads first day and he was told to make sure what he was saying sounded personal because that's the best way to sell and that the commission is better than you would think it would be for a door-to-door sales job. Impossible to trust anyone nowadays unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭got2meearlier

Care for Cal it's called there is a fb page and quite a lot of events going on.

Advertisement