Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneer's attitude

Options
  • 15-04-2016 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

It is 15 years since I last bought a house and it was a reasonable easy experience but today's experience threw me a little and I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or the auctioneer is odd.

The auctioneer advertised a property 3 weeks ago. The next day, we requested a viewing but were told that it wasn't ready for viewing, which I thought odd. Viewings were vaguely provisionally organised for 2 weeks later which I advised that I couldn't attend but my wife could and we were to be let know if it was happening or not.

We received no notification and assumed that the viewing wasn't happening that weekend. On the Tuesday we phoned the auctioneer to find out when there would be a viewing to be told it had happened on the Saturday but they forgot to tell us. (We were a bit peeved off but didn't make a big deal out of it because we should have phoned on the Friday. ) So we asked when the next viewing would be and we're told "sometime this week "

Roll on today and still no notification of a viewing so we phoned to be told "It's this evening, did I not phone you? )

So we left work early and went to the viewing to find an auctioneer that knew very little about the property, didn't seem interested in answering questions and didn't want to go out in the drizzle to show us the extensive site and out buildings .
    And they are closing the sale early this week with proof of funds.

In summary, they advertise for 2 weeks, they have 2 viewings a week apart and allow 2 working days from last viewing to sale agreed (which leaves little time to get a survey done on the property)

Is this the way things happen now? Or am I justified in going with my gut feelings and walking away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

se conman wrote: »
    It is 15 years since I last bought a house and it was a reasonable easy experience but today's experience threw me a little and I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or the auctioneer is odd.

The auctioneer advertised a property 3 weeks ago. The next day, we requested a viewing but were told that it wasn't ready for viewing, which I thought odd. Viewings were vaguely provisionally organised for 2 weeks later which I advised that I couldn't attend but my wife could and we were to be let know if it was happening or not.

We received no notification and assumed that the viewing wasn't happening that weekend. On the Tuesday we phoned the auctioneer to find out when there would be a viewing to be told it had happened on the Saturday but they forgot to tell us. (We were a bit peeved off but didn't make a big deal out of it because we should have phoned on the Friday. ) So we asked when the next viewing would be and we're told "sometime this week "

Roll on today and still no notification of a viewing so we phoned to be told "It's this evening, did I not phone you? )

So we left work early and went to the viewing to find an auctioneer that knew very little about the property, didn't seem interested in answering questions and didn't want to go out in the drizzle to show us the extensive site and out buildings .
    And they are closing the sale early this week with proof of funds.

In summary, they advertise for 2 weeks, they have 2 viewings a week apart and allow 2 working days from last viewing to sale agreed (which leaves little time to get a survey done on the property)

Is this the way things happen now? Or am I justified in going with my gut feelings and walking away.

Use your gut instinct and walk away. I had a similar experience with one property/agent - I found it incredible that they were so lax or unprofessional around viewings going ahead without any notification despite numerous calls stating my interest. Single viewing I did attend the auctioneer had no information about the property.

Mine was a one off experience. And have some very professional experiences. There is a wide spectrum when it comes to estate agents. Given the property market at the moment those at the bottom of the spectrum seem to get away. It's just poor behaviour nothing that you can go to the Psra, however I do feel sorry for the vendor using that particular agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Something I've heard of years ago, an Estates agent would have a property on their books, they'd have a family member or friend who wanted the house, so they'd be reluctant to give give viewings... Don't know if that's happening in this case, maybe you could approach the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

I was only thinking about this today. There is either some dodgy sales going on or state agents have to do very little to seek these days - as in houses are selling themselves because of the current property shortage.

I went to view a house a few weeks ago. I arrived and the auctioneer was very causally dressed, I'm talking ugg boots and leggings. I just thought it was a very unprofessional look.
    I had a nosey around and came back down to ask her things about the wiring and even what BER it was and she didn't know! I told her to stick me down for another viewing and to call me when it was as I wanted to bring a family member who is a builder with me. Haven't heard anything since.
    I'm buying a house solo and I find this seems to make estate agents not even bother with me, they simply assume I can't afford it when infact I'm ready to sign on the dotted line.
    Most of my emails calls go unanswered when I enquire on my home about property up for sale also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Something I've heard of years ago, an Estates agent would have a property on their books, they'd have a family member or friend who wanted the house, so they'd be reluctant to give give viewings... Don't know if that's happening in this case, maybe you could approach the seller.

If that is the case, you can report to the PRSA. Estate Agents are now regulated and can be fined for things you have described.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

newacc2015 wrote: »
    If that is the case, you can report to the PRSA. Estate Agents are now regulated and can be fined for things you have described.

Regulated or not, things like this and "phantom bidders" can be very hard to prove....... I've never heard of Estates agents being fined.

• Advertisement
Advertisement