Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public liabilty

• 15-04-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Im going to be going for public liabilty for sole trader in the construction industry but someone mentioned to me that ill get refused or it will be an excessive to insure me because i have a criminal record. I havent been to jail or anything, just one conviction for assault and another for possession of small amount of cannabis plant. Does anyone know will this effect my insurance premium or is it only convictions for fraud etc.. that effects it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

soccercrew wrote: »
    Im going to be going for public liabilty for sole trader in the construction industry but someone mentioned to me that ill get refused or it will be an excessive to insure me because i have a criminal record. I havent been to jail or anything, just one conviction for assault and another for possession of small amount of cannabis plant. Does anyone know will this effect my insurance premium or is it only convictions for fraud etc.. that effects it.

Any proposal form will ask have you any criminal convictions.

It is an issue for many insurers.

The logic behind it is that if someone has shown disregard for the law previously then they are potentially going to try and defraud the company or show a disregard to health and safety rules and regulations which could lead to costly claims against the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soccercrew

Any proposal form will ask have you any criminal convictions.

It is an issue for many insurers.

The logic behind it is that if someone has shown disregard for the law previously then they are potentially going to try and defraud the company or show a disregard to health and safety rules and regulations which could lead to costly claims against the company.

So basicly itll mean higher costs for insurance or not being able to be insured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

soccercrew wrote: »
    So basicly itll mean higher costs for insurance or not being able to be insured

Yep.

Advertisement