Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping noob help

Options
  • 15-04-2016 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

So,i'm gonna take the plunge.

I smoke 40 marlboro a day and want to try switch to vaping.
    I have had a look through the forum and the options are bewildering.

Any suggestions?I don't mind shelling out for something decent it looks like a case of you get what you pay for,i tried those cigarette sized ones before and found them rubbish.I understand the bigger rectangular shaped ones are best?

is there a liquid that would taste similar to marlboro?
    Am i better off buying online or from a bricks and mortar store?

Sorry for all the questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It takes a bit of research and a lot of trial and error to really find your way to comfortable vaping and completely ditching the cig's. Good on you for wanting to try :)

Not sure on juice recommendations, because I gave up on tobacco flavours a long time back. I did use them when I started, there was a juice called Virginia Prime that I loved, from House of liquid. Very nice stuff if you like your tobacco.

http://www.houseofliquid.com/product-p/e-virginia-prime.htm

I used to buy the 60ml bottle at 18mg and it would last me ages. But tanks/coils/devices are much better now than they were then. I think 12mg is the highest you'd want to go.

On devices, something like an iStick 40w, and a kanger aerotank or Aspire Nautilus would certainly not be a bad place to start. Ignore anything 'sub-ohm' related until you get into it and used to vaping first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

It takes a bit of research and a lot of trial and error to really find your way to comfortable vaping and completely ditching the cig's. Good on you for wanting to try :)

Not sure on juice recommendations, because I gave up on tobacco flavours a long time back. I did use them when I started, there was a juice called Virginia Prime that I loved, from House of liquid. Very nice stuff if you like your tobacco.

http://www.houseofliquid.com/product-p/e-virginia-prime.htm

I used to buy the 60ml bottle at 18mg and it would last me ages. But tanks/coils/devices are much better now than they were then. I think 12mg is the highest you'd want to go.

On devices, something like an iStick 40w, and a kanger aerotank or Aspire Nautilus would certainly not be a bad place to start. Ignore anything 'sub-ohm' related until you get into it and used to vaping first.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Is there any sellers you would recommend for the iStick and the kanger aerotank?

Where are you living? is there any decent vape shops nearby? If so, I'd head in some day and explain that you're looking to start up and want a good beginner kit. They should be able to guide you through it, they love new vapers ;) If not, a site like http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/ should have what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

I started with a bottle of 24mg nicotine, and then moved to 18mg. I've recently moved through 12 and down to 9. I would suggest starting at 24 or 18. Lower will probably not satisfy you initially since you are a heavy smoker.

Liqua is a grand brand to start with, and not too expensive. Cuban Cigar is good - clean taste (nothing like a cigar, but nice). Traditional Tobacco is okay. Turkish Tobacco - no!

As for the equipment, most are basically a battery with a glass tank up top, but there are all-in-ones where the tank is inside the box.
    I started with an eGrip, which is an AIO - you do feel a bit of a muppet taking drags out of it initially, especially in public, but that passes quickly when you think of the health benefits. AIO's are handy as they're discrete and can be chucked in the pocket .
    The standard advice to new people is Nautilus Mini and iStick 30w, which will work great, but there are other options too. The eGrip is a great startep. If you definitely want a tank up top solution, a few extra quid can get you a significantly better mod (the box) that can grow with your vaping experience. Don't go nuts with your first kit though - you will likely want to buy more stuff as you discover what you want out of vaping. Consider a mod with a replaceable battery. Since you are a heavy smoker you will vape a lot, and a spare battery in the pocket is better than desperate hunting for a charger. I have an iStick 60w and it's great.

Yeah the iSticks are great for starters I think, but don't get the 30w! The 40w is pretty much the upgrade to it, and is a little more future proofed for you. It can go that bit higher if and when you need it, and has other modes that you'll discover along the way, that might be useful.

I'm vaping over 3yrs now and jut bought another iStick, the Pico. Which I would recommend, only I think it's more aimed as a side device for more experienced vapers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

Oh, congratulations on making the decision to start vaping. It's one of the best choices you can make.

Less than 3 months in and I feel so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I have over the last year advised anyone asking to go for the iStick and mini nautilus but now I'm thinking that the Joyetech ego AIO might be an easier and less complicated starting device , plus it's cheaper . Also a lot of the reviewers seem to recommending it now .

jonski wrote: »
    I have over the last year advised anyone asking to go for the iStick and mini nautilus but now I'm thinking that the Joyetech ego AIO might be an easier and less complicated starting device , plus it's cheaper . Also a lot of the reviewers seem to recommending it now .

I thought about that, I recently suggested it to my brother after he went and bought an old ego kit from some crappy shop. And I do mean old, ego-C style kit that I started with over 3yrs back. Can't believe they still sell them!

The AIO looks great ... but! ... it has one major con for beginner vapers. If you manage somehow to break the glass on the tank, well, tough - bin it. You cannot replace it. I think if they had made it so you can at least replace the glass, it would be a sure fire recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

stay away from pen beginner kits, something like a kanger sub tank with a decent battery so you are looking at 70-100 for a good setup, that you wont be disappointed with

smoke and vape for the first few weeks on 24% nic level with a 1.2ohm *coil, then try different flavours, then move to .5ohm and soon you will say I was such a fool smoking tobacco

(then the nerd stuff starts with the tech and DIY liquid, its a worse addiction than ****ing nicotine though)

*the coil stuff is something you will learn learn about as I don't want you to suffer information overload

I thought about that, I recently suggested it to my brother after he went and bought an old ego kit from some crappy shop. And I do mean old, ego-C style kit that I started with over 3yrs back. Can't believe they still sell them!

The AIO looks great ... but! ... it has one major con for beginner vapers. If you manage somehow to break the glass on the tank, well, tough - bin it. You cannot replace it. I think if they had made it so you can at least replace the glass, it would be a sure fire recommendation.

While I agree about the glass , I have looked at them and held one in my hand and examined it , it wouldn't be easy to break the glass . Having said that , I have never broke any glass in any of my tanks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hello, hope it's ok to join this thread rather than start a new one.

I am seriously considering vaping.
    I smoke 15 John Player Blue daily at the moment and it's an expensive habit, as I'm sure you know.
    I've no idea where to start with vaping.

I think I would like my vape to taste the same or similar to John Player Blue (at least for a while; I know most people switch to fruit/herbal flavours after a while) and I would really like that throat hit too.
    So where should I go?

My local shopping centre has a SmokeGreen desk (do they do vaping?).
    What do I ask for?
    Do I literally just explain what I've said here?
    How much would it cost weekly?
    Does it really replace the desire for a real cigarette?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just a bit clueless at the moment.

As bad as smokegreen products are, that's what I first started out vaping with. They're crap though, In my first month alone I got 3 dud batteries, and 2 that burnt out after a few uses. Each cartridge was only lasting a couple of hours before losing flavour too. It was turning out to be as dear as the fags ... BUT! they still helped me on my way. Started searching and discovered a whole new world ... that was 3 years back, and things have gotten much better by far. In terms of products and overall quality at least.

Search for other vape stores nearby, and if there are none, consider buying online. Most of us on here do. I'm lucky enough to have a well stocked iVape nearby, but I still grab bargains online, and most of my DIY juice stuff. Look to the likes of the iStick 40w, or Kanger starter kits.

It's been a while since I used tobacco juices though, so I'll let someone else tackle that one. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks thecageyone, I'll have a look for a vape store near me :)

fussyonion wrote: »
    So where should I go?

My local shopping centre has a SmokeGreen desk (do they do vaping?).
    What do I ask for?
    Do I literally just explain what I've said here?
    How much would it cost weekly?
    Does it really replace the desire for a real cigarette?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just a bit clueless at the moment.

Same advice as above really , give your approximate location here and someone will tell you where your nearest proper vape shop is .

If you are taking the advice from above then you would tell them that someone recommended either the iStick and mini nautilus or the Joyetech AIO , they should show you both and you can decide .

The person behind the counter should be asking you the relevant questions eg: how much do you smoke and what brand and how long .

How much does it cost ............ depends on a lot of factors but you can certainly keep the costs well below smoking .

For me and the people I know that have used it as a quit method it replaced the desire for smokes , maybe not straight away but it didn't take long . Some will say just make the decision and quit smokes and go straight to vaping, I didn't do that , I used both and first and then the switch came naturally ....same for the people I know but I am sure there are plenty that just switched .

As for a tobacco flavour that tastes like a real smoke .... good luck with that . I never found one but I found some that came close enough, you should be able to try different ones in the shop . Don't over-buy at the start, what you like at the start you might go off of in a week or two .

Take your time and ask whatever you are not 100% sure of in the shop or here and someone will try to help .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was a 40 a day (well 30 a day and 10 burnouts) smoker and switched to vaping 4 years ago. I found a clearomiser I liked and a juice I liked after a few weeks and haven't felt the need to change. I've upgraded to better batteries though. iStick 40w. The clearo's I use are ancient models and will probably be discontinued soon but I'll continue to use them till that happens. Kanger T2's. The Juice I settled on was Liquia Cuban Cigar. While the Tobacco flavours won't ever be exactly like a real smoke I still prefer them over the fruity flavours. Real fags taste rotten anyway after a few days. My wallet was lucky because I never got into the perfect vape and flavour chasing like others or vaping becoming a hobby so I never ended up with drawers/shelves full of juices and batteries and tanks adding up to hundreds or a thousand etc As a result I have saved an absolute fortune switching from smoking to vaping because non of the savings went into accumulating juices and vaping gear instead. I now spend about €200 a year on clearo's, heads and a yearly battery replacement and €400 a year on Juice (€32/month,€8/week) A 40 a day cigarette habit is €7884 a year (€657/month,€151/week) these days unless you're buying them in Spain or down a back alley. Shocking when you think about it. The health benefits are massive too of course but Jesus, 8 grand a year :D So I went from spending about 7 grand a year (cost for 40 a day when I gave up) on smokes to €600 a year for juice and hardware!!

I recommend starting on 24mg and you'll likely smoke a real cig at the main trigger points when you get up and after a meal etc and vape the rest of the day. After a day or two your throat will get used to the slightly different throathit of an ecig and any possible tickly cough from the vaping will go away. After about 2 weeks you'll find yourself forgetting to pull out a real cig after dinner for example and start automatically reaching for you ecig instead. When this start happening you know its time to make the conscious decision to put away the real cigs for good. At this point it requires virtually no willpower to do this at all. Your breathing will already be improving with few or no more painful bouts of coughing in bed. Your lungs will be starting to clear out all the accumulated tar and muck and after a few weeks you'll notice a massive improvement in your breathing.

Vaping has been a miracle for me.

Advertisement