Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Chiropractors for real?

• 15-04-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Genuine question! I had zero experience of them til recently, when I attended a clinic for a consultation about foot pain that I've had for the past year.

Decided to try a chiropractor last week as nothing else is getting me anywhere but the whole experience left a bad taste in the mouth. Just felt like she was far more interested in my ability to pay for a lengthy rehab regime, than actually listening to what I was saying or focusing on the problem itself. The preliminary chat was mainly taken up with my employment details, and the final chat regarding future sessions was taken up with how i'd like to pay, as I go, or as a package.
    Really didn't give me any confidence in going back there, but they do get good reviews (if their website is to be believed)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I went to one due to chronic achilles pain many moons ago.
    It was being covered by my work health insurance so was costing me absolutely nothing for 10 full sessions (£35 a pop I may add).

I stopped after session number 3, it was an absolute nonsense and there was little or no hands-on treatment done.

If you Google it, you will see its all nonsense.

Don't waste your money, go to a properly qualified professional instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Even if chiropractors are real, that one doesn't sound very encouraging. Screw em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I think Penn and Teller did a chiropractor episode of bull****, might be something you'd like to watch.

It probably is bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

They're quacks with no actual medical training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You need to find a decent Chiro!
    I go to one occasionally and its hands on treatment for the full appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The statistics on people having strokes after attending a chiropractor are terrifying. Go to see a physio with real qualifications from a real university.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

If you have foot pain, I suggest you go see a registered podiatrist.. and your GP

As for chiropractors, they are little more than modern day snake oil salesmen.. They usually tell every client that they have a scoliosis (lateral curvature of the spine) Most adults have some slight curvature of the spine anyway... It's the price we pay for being bi-pedal humans with sloppy posture, as opposed to being quadrupedal (walking on all fours)

They usually make some vague comments about correcting a vertebral subluxation (a slight misalignment of the vertebrae, regarded in chiropractic theory as the cause of many health problems.)

After convincing you that your long term health will be affected unless treatment begins immediately, they usually draw up a lengthy treatment plan and then proceed to milk you for every cent you have..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I know a consultant orthopaedic surgeon and he slates them. Puts them up there with homeopaths except he reckons that they are more dangerous and that they can do real damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

The statistics on people having strokes after attending a chiropractor are terrifying. Go to see a physio with real qualifications from a real university.

My brother lives in the states where chiropractors are big business. His (Irish) bosses wife was attending one regularly when one appointment he cracked whatever he cracked the wrong way and she had a stroke.

Instead of calling an ambulance he cleared the waiting room and called her husband to come get her who in his state of shock drove her to the hospital. She very nearly died but almost two years later is alive thankfully with mobility issues, but alive.

Personally wouldn't let them put their hands near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think you've put me off chiros for life, thanks everyone!
    I was really green about them because I've managed to get to my mid 30's without any such problems til now. But now I've read up on them a bit, they do sound beyond shady.

If you have foot pain, I suggest you go see a registered podiatrist.. and your GP

.....After convincing you that your long term health will be affected unless treatment begins immediately, they usually draw up a lengthy treatment plan and then proceed to milk you for every cent you have..

I've been to the GP and had an x-ray, nothing showed up. He suggested a physio who I attended and followed a stretching and strengthening regime but it's not making any difference.
    I then attended a podiatrist who charged me no fee as she couldn't diagnose. She suggested insoles.
    I self diagnosed it as cuboid syndrome months ago as it's practically the only foot problem which meets all my symptoms.
    The chiropractor diagnosed it the same, (with no prompting from me) and agreed that solving the underlying problem was the way to go instead of wearing insoles.
    It was all very encouraging, apart from the very blatant money racket it appeared to be. I mean, handing me a pre-prepared A4 detailing 8/9 €50 sessions.... which appears to be given to everyone who goes in there! It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Guys lets get this straightened out here and validate a few points. There are some shocking untruths being thrown about here!

NO medial training: They bloody well do, they do a 5 year degree program which goes into indepth detail of anatomy and phsyiology among other things

The statistics on strokes: Where are they stats? Can you show them too us? IF you can please do, and I will retort with papers that show no correlation between chiropractic manipulation and stroke. The research shows that people who did have a stroke were already pre-disposed. Also this is all on cervical manipulation nothing else.

Chiropractors are quacks: Ok on this point I have some good and bad views. i HATE the pay up for 10 sessions straight away. How do you know it will take 10 sessions to fix me? I HATE the fact some chiropractors will tell you that cracking your back will cure eczema and so on so forth. There are definitely quacks out there and I have been to a few. But I have also attended an amazing chiro who was able to pin point my issue quicker and more accurate than any physio ever was and spent a good hour if not more working through my problem with me at each sesssion (which he left to me to chose if I wanted to come back)

Chiropractors are dangerous: And surgery isnt? Too many people who go to an orthopedic surgeoun come out "needing surgery" when they simply do not! I know of countless surgeons who absolutely messed up their surgeries and leave people reeling in pain for the rest of their lives. (iv'e seen this first hand by the way, on more than one occasion) Still in pain? A surgeon will throw you a shot of cortisone in a heart beat, but they never tell you the side effects.
    know of a phsyio who punctured somebodies lung dry needling their shoulder.

And, as a side note, if chiropractic manipulations are so dangerous, how come Osteopaths don't get such a bad rap? They do much the same thing bar maybe a couple of others. Why do physios queue up at the door to do a manipulations course when they're being run? Its not only Chiros that manipulate.

I may sound like a chiro here from the case im putting across, but i'm not, rest assured. Im just playing devils advocate and defending a profession that's unfairly being slated. I 100% agree some are quacks, but you ask anyone on this site, how many times they have been to a phsyio and are told to Stretch xyz and strengthen abc and come back every week for the forseeable future, im pretty sure the list of unhappy people will be endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

thehamo wrote: »
    NO medial training: They bloody well do, they do a 5 year degree program which goes into indepth detail of anatomy and phsyiology among other

Their training isn't medically based, the whole practice is pseudo-science and superstition.

No matter how long they spend doing it, because it has no basis their training is worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Their training isn't medically based, the whole practice is pseudo-science and superstition.

No matter how long they spend doing it, because it has no basis their training is worthless.

Do you have the 5 year prospectus to hand to see what they study?

Do you know for a fact and can compare and contrast what a phsyio/chiro/osteo all do in their training? An athletic therapist wouldnt have any "medical training" yet no one would have any issuse wih them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

thehamo wrote: »
    Do you have the 5 year prospectus to hand to see what they study?

Do you know for a fact and can compare and contrast what a phsyio/chiro/osteo all do in their training? An athletic therapist wouldnt have any "medical training" yet no one would have any issuse wih them.

Is a spinologist the same as a chiropractor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I would say they can help some people with minor tweaks and issues, but not the likes of a trapped nerve that I have suffered with...

As I lie here recovering from an operation on my back on Monday this thread gave me a giggle I have to say!

I think most Chiropractors are quacks - any experience I have had with them basically left me pretty much worse off then when I went in...

They and other untrained physio / ortheo people can relieve pain for possibly around 40 minutes with a crack and then you are back to square one...

I'm only beginning to get relief now after going under the knife and trying all the hippy dippy orthopaedic stuff first..

This is my third time recurrence of a herniated disc and stupidly I went and tried all the stuff second time around, but for me the only thing that worked was surgery...

I wouldn't be against them for minor stuff like whiplash etc but for the real deal nerve issues only a proper surgeon will do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Good chiros are good. Bad chiros are dangerous.
    Good physios are good. Bad physios are dangerous.

Regardless of the training they receive, if they are good at what they do thats what matters.

Theres a physical therapist in Carlow that has some of the top olympic sprinters flying in to see him on a regular basis yet physical therapy isn't a recognised profession, does that make him bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

cc87 wrote: »
    Good chiros are good. Bad chiros are dangerous.
    Good physios are good. Bad physios are dangerous.

Regardless of the training they receive, if they are good at what they do thats what matters.

Theres a physical therapist in Carlow that has some of the top olympic sprinters flying in to see him on a regular basis yet physical therapy isn't a recognised profession, does that make him bad?

I was just gonna say they are both useless but maybe I've only been to useless ones....2 chiros and 3 physios I've went to over the years...I wouldn't go near either again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

My parents go to a chiro regularly and while he 'seems' to help them I notice how regularly he slates physiotherapists and it seems to be a running theme with them.

Chiros pay absolutely zero focus to muscles which can be largely responsible for many issues.

The whole area needs regulation in this country and fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I went to one in desperation with back pain before and the place did the whole "pay up front for X number of sessions" which was very off putting.

But it really used to give me great pain relief. That lasted about 24 hours til the underlying issue (muscle imbalance) tightened me up again and Id have to wait til the next appointment to be "released". I wasted over 1k.

Then I went to a physio. After the first session he told me to bring my hubby in and showed him how to release the tight muscles I had had. Meanwhile I was to work on the muscular imbalance. So for 50 euro it was all resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I went to one in desperation with back pain before and the place did the whole "pay up front for X number of sessions" which was very off putting.

But it really used to give me great pain relief. That lasted about 24 hours til the underlying issue (muscle imbalance) tightened me up again and Id have to wait til the next appointment to be "released". I wasted over 1k.

Then I went to a physio. After the first session he told me to bring my hubby in and showed him how to release the tight muscles I had had. Meanwhile I was to work on the muscular imbalance. So for 50 euro it was all resolved.

as cc87 said good or bad isnt owne by any one profession

i've had issues with my back nothing major but annoying all the same
    18 months ago i decided to try get sorted 10 visits later to 2 physios in the same clinic and I was in bits and told i just need to get in fit maybe take up pilates

went to a chiro and decided i'd give it a go longterm to try get sorted

10 minutes in he told me what was wrong, took an xray, which the physios both told me wasnt necessary and confirmed his thoughts.
    after a year with him maybe 12 visits I am better than ever.
    if he is a quack he's a good one!

Its the same with everything some good some bad
    we've all been to **** doctors - doesn't make them all bad

• Advertisement

micks wrote: »

i've had issues with my back nothing major but annoying all the same
    18 months ago i decided to try get sorted 10 visits later to 2 physios in the same clinic and I was in bits and told i just need to get in fit maybe take up pilates

went to a chiro and decided i'd give it a go longterm to try get sorted

10 minutes in he told me what was wrong, took an xray, which the physios both told me wasnt necessary and confirmed his thoughts.
    after a year with him maybe 12 visits I am better than ever.
    if he is a quack he's a good one!

Its the same with everything some good some bad
    we've all been to **** doctors - doesn't make them all bad

Are chiro's allowed to do X-rays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I use to go to one Chiropractor that was great was very hands on and after a session I had no pain for weeks. He left the country and went to his replacement and he was shocking said I would have to come every two week and I got no relief and wanted money up front. I don't hold much faith if the want money up front.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have back and muscle issues but I've never been to chiropractor. I wanted to do, but he told me I'd be wasting money.

I suffer with posture issues and certainly muscles losing flexibility.

On my GP's recommendation I went to a physio. It was a massive waste of money. She gave me exercises to do at home which proved difficult on my own because I had no way of knowing if I was doing them right. (Because when I went back to her each week she told me I was doing it wrong)

Then someone recommended I visit a chap who is both a chiropractor and a physiotherapist. Spoke with him over the phone and this a a paraphrased summary of how the call went:

Him: "Are you in pain?"
    Me: "bar the occasional odd bit of ache, no"
    Him: "you're wasting your money going to a chiropractor or a physiotherapist so. Go do Pilates classes instead. I wish I was getting commission for sending business to Pilates instructors with all the people I send them. "
    Me: "wow, OK, are you not doing yourself out of business?"
    Him: "yes. The least they could do is send me a Christmas card and offer me a blow job from time to time"

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are chiro's allowed to do X-rays?

They prob own the machine so maybe!
    I've had dentist and dental nurses X-ray me also.
    Who should be doing it?
    Should I be paying someone different to X-ray? Another to read it?

They prob own the machine so maybe!
    I've had dentist and dental nurses X-ray me also.
    Who should be doing it?
    Should I be paying someone different to X-ray? Another to read it?

I'm not sure to be honest but I always thought you needed some kind of special training to operate one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Chiropractor's are too thick to train as physios,so they take the easy way out.

I wouldn't go near them,most problems are muscle or soft tissue oriented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I do agree with you.

I actually had a good physical experience with the chiropractor I went to - it was the "pay for a set number of sessions upfront" that bothered me.

I have been butchered by an orthapaedic surgeon - everyone who has seen it since has shook their head and said he should never have done it.

Ive had terrible physios too.

I think its about getting someone that works with you and for you.

In saying that, Chiropractic is not medically regulated in this country so (a) anyone can set up and call themselves one and (b) if one does break your neck - you can only sue them in a civil lawsuit so you wont be compensated the way you would if a real medical practicioner damaged you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I always like to roll out this, admittedly long cartoon when people mention chiropractors. LINK

It real irks me how they've managed to weasel their way into the mainstream to the point where we have health insurance companies willing to pay for 'treatments' thus providing these charlatans with an air of legitimacy. But at the end of the day, people can spend their money how they choose but I know I would never allow a chiropractor to 'treat' me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I've found an actual physio who incorporates aspects of "manual therapies" similiar to those but not as severe as chiros. Explained the situation and she told me from her experience 2 sessions max and then following a regime in my own time would be all she could forsee for me.
    Ok, so admittedly no proof it will work but it certainly sounds like a more honest approach than what I found at the chiropractor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There are good chiros and bad ones.
    Some practices have specialist training in taking xrays. Most can read them.
    The one I go to does work on muscles and has never asked for money up front. I phone and make an appointment when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

The one I go to does work on muscles and has never asked for money up front. I phone and make an appointment when needed.

Good or bad, the whole thing is based on "woo". You may as well be saying there are good and bad ghost busters. It has no basis in science.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have gone to two chiropractors in my life, one an Australian, who made me feel like I was gonna puke for two days.

The second dealt with an issue I had (minor hip issue) and when I went back to her after being assaulted, correctly diagnosed me with a fractured hip, sent me to a and e, who took her letter, did an xray and confirmed the diagnosis.

She refused to treat me for a min. of 8 weeks until the fracture healed.

Over time complications from having the fracture meant my spine/hip would lock up, one visit to her and I'd be sorted.

My OH went for a different issue and it didn't help, massage did.

I do think they have a place to play, and wouldn't be without mine, whom I haven't been to for three years, but the likes of the first one I saw would make me run a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

In Ireland taking of x-rays by chiropractors is certainly not legal (must be prescribed by a registered doctor or dentist).

Advertisement