Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise on buying a VW polo

Options
  • 15-04-2016 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

Looking for advise on buying a VW polo 1.2 petrol mk4.Looking to spend 1500e.

Would like advise about things to check before buying ie. common problems with polos as I heard the engine can misfire because of faulty coil packs. Is this true and what else should I look out for.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

walsh56 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advise on buying a VW polo 1.2 petrol mk4.Looking to spend 1500e.

Would like advise about things to check before buying ie. common problems with polos as I heard the engine can misfire because of faulty coil packs. Is this true and what else should I look out for.

Thanks

Get a mechanic to look it over.

At the bottom of the market there is some junk out there.

Look over car well and try get one with very recent nct so at least emissions have passed.

If you don't know about them have someone that does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

You are being very generous with "some junk" ;-) That 3cyl engine is junk full stop in my opinion. If it was anything other than a German it wouldn't be long getting blacklisted round here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd agree, we had one of those 9n Polos for years, a 07 model we bought in 08, we put nerarly 100kms on it over 4 years and it was unmistakably crap.

Yeah the interior is a bit german but the engine is utter scrap, very very soft. You'l get tired of replacing the wishbone bushes every 6 months or so too, to prevent massive tyre wear.

Any 9n model you csn buy with €1500 will probably bring you a world of pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 walsh56

Thanks for all the responses. I'm now thinking of not getting a polo. What about a seat Ibiza I heard good things about them, but I also heard their very similar to the polo so will a Ibiza bring a world of pain also?

Also if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them. Its my first car so don't want to more than 1500e and 1.3 litre would be the max.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hyundai Getz? Nice little reliable car that tends to get overlooked:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-hyundai-getz-1-1-litre-taxed-nct-07-16/12045780

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 walsh56

Thanks for the replies bazz yea i wasn't considering either of those cars but i'll have a look now.

I was also looking at a skoda fabia Any thoughts on them ?

Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza and VW Polo are all the same car underneath.

Advertisement