Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examinations

Options
  • 15-04-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking for a center or clinic or something relevant in Galway, where I can I go myself and ask specific examinations concerning gynecological issue.
    Anyone know where can I go to ? Thank you !

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Most gynae investigations would be done in the hospital outpatient department I think. The most straightforward way to do this is to go to your GP and they can refer you. The GP will likely test your bloods initially, as they can tell a lot about hormones and it gives some information to the consultant when you get into the system as a starting point to refer you for other investigations.

But there is a Well Woman clinic, that do the preliminary investigations too, and can refer you to the hospital the same way - I doubt they'd do anything different to a GP.

Alternatively, as there is a bit of a waiting list in the public system for gynae referrals you may want to go private if you have health insurance (or enough cash!) and you'd only have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment rather than months.

If its fertility related do check that your health insurer covers it, a lot don't. A workaround is for them to investigate as a gynae issue rather than a fertility issue, but obviously some tests and checks would fall outside of that.

The fertility clinic in Galway is Brooklawn House, so if its gynae investigations with a view to improving your fertility and trying to have a baby, a straight GP referral to them would be quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

I have private insurance through my job but I don't know if they cover these exainations. I will ask my GP for a referral, but I would like to avoid that as the last time she wasn't really helpful.

Btw, do you know how often can I choose different GP ?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think you can go to any GP you like, unless you were restricted through a medical card or something. So you can just make an appointment, talk to the GP and if they need any background information from your old one, I guess that could be easily arranged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

You can go to any GP but you can't ask for specific investigations as such unless they're indicated

Advertisement