Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed loss - Any way to avoid ?

Options
  • 15-04-2016 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

The purpose:

Have one normal Wifi Network and one connected to a VPN.

The current setup :
    Broadband : Meteor H+ through a mifi Huawei R5372
    Used a Win7 PC with a PIA (VPN) client - Internet in through wireless adapter, network out through ethernet and TP Link WA701ND Access Point - serving wireless connections from devices requiring VPN
    Have the LAN connection (TAP Win Adapter V9) shared with the accesspoint.

It works, devices connecting to Access Point wifi are connected through VPN.

Issue:

I am leaking speed everywhere .. I kind of expected some leakage, but not this much.

Direct connection to Mifi - Ping 30 ms DL 16 Mbps UL 2-3 Mbps
    Speed on win7 PC connected to VPN : Ping 45 ms DL 9 Mbps UL 1.6 Mbps
    Devices connected to the access point Ping 65 ms DL 2-5 Mbsp UL 1.5 Mbps

Reason I am not using a virtual hotspot on PC is that for whatever reason android devices don't like staying connected to it, so I thought I tried something less virtual and more physical.

The ultimate 2-5Mbps is simply not good enough and not stable enough for what I need.

Any ideas on how to better accomplish what I want .. I understand the limitation on the VPN and that is not within my control, but I see no reason why I am dropping from 9 back to 2-5 Mbps download sharing the connection..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Without connecting to the VPN , speed on devices using the access point Ping <30ms, DL ~4Mbps UL ~ 1.5 Mbps. So the issue really is speed loss using the Access Point - why so much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Connect another laptop to the ethernet port the AP is currently connected to and test. If its fast, AP is the issue, if its slow its the ICS in the laptop thats at fault.

Good idea.. Will try that tonight. I was wondering yesterday if the IP address could also have something to do with it. The AP has a 192.168.0 range and so does the mifi. But when I tried changing the AP's address to 192.168.5 range last night, I must have messed something up and nothing worked. I was too tired to fix. Could the IP address range have anything to do with it ?

ED E wrote: »
    Connect another laptop to the ethernet port the AP is currently connected to and test. If its fast, AP is the issue, if its slow its the ICS in the laptop thats at fault.

OK, performed the test . Connected the laptop directly to the desktop. No speed loss with or without VPN - when compared to the desktop. The VPN connection was pretty awful tonight though with only giving me about 30% of my speed.

So. thanks for the pointer - it is the AP. And I still believe it is not the hardware but rather my configuration at fault. Will keep on trying

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd hazard a guess that the AP may be using 1500 MTU, which with the VPN overhead is too high and could reduce performance. If it has the ability setting the MTU to 1300 might solve it.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that the AP may be using 1500 MTU, which with the VPN overhead is too high and could reduce performance. If it has the ability setting the MTU to 1300 might solve it.

I had set the MTU previously to 1386 (or somewhere around that to get any kind of VPN) on the desktop I will have a look and see if I can set the MTU for the AP separately somewhere..Thanks again

Advertisement