Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

changing skinny fat without exercise.

• 16-04-2016 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Only In the last 2 weeks, I have completely changed my diet to 'proper' food. No more Mcdonalds, subway ect.. Which is what I lived on most of my childhood being honest:o Due to lazyness and lack of education foodwise.

It's been tough but I am only eating steak, lamb, fish, eggs basically foods rich in protein. I have already went from 11 stone 6 to 10 stone 12 which I am happy with in such a small timescale even though it wasnt really my goal to lose weight.

I have been described as 'skinny fat' I am 6"1 but still have man boobs, a large enough stomach although I notice that has flattened a bit, love handles, cellulite all over me and a very bad double chin situation:mad:.

Here's my question, Am I just wasting my time without going to a gym? i'd love to improve my appearance without exercising to be honest..

thanks ...... :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It depends on what your definition of a good appearance is, if you keep going the way you're going you will definitely get lean so take the fat out of "skinny fat"

For reference Peter Crouch, the one on the left

6IAjP1O.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Depending on your goals op.
    If you want to tone up and build a little muscle then you're going to have to do some form of excersise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I would love to get rid of the fat look. The double chin inparticular.

carzony wrote: »
    I would love to get rid of the fat look. The double chin inparticular.

Well u can't target one area for specific fat loss. You have to lose fat from all over. If you're not happy how you look when you lose the fat ( Peter crouch above ) then start lifting weights and eating a calorie surplus. You'll fill out a bit and look healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

You should certainly be able to slim down and lose the excess fat over time through diet alone with a steady calorie deficit. Lifting weights or even just body weight exercises will give your body a much better look though, and will also accelerate the fat loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If you want a more muscular or toned look then you're going to need to do some sort of exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Here's my question, Am I just wasting my time without going to a gym? i'd love to improve my appearance without exercising to be honest..

Can I ask why you don't wish to exercise?

You don't necessarily have to go to a gym to exercise. There are lots of alternatives.

In my experience, even if you do lose the fat, without a bit of regular exercise you're probably not going to like your appearance. Plus it's much easier if you tackle weight loss through diet and exercise. (and you're more likely to keep it off long term too) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭BigProblem

is it possible to put on weight (eating healthy of course) and not lifting any weights? I stopped doing weight in the past year cos of injury to neck and have been going to gym doing some core work, cardio and few of the leg presses etc... I have noticed that I have lost a good bit of weight which I want to put back on. I was wondering if I can do this if I am not lifting weights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BigProblem wrote: »
    is it possible to put on weight (eating healthy of course) and not lifting any weights? I stopped doing weight in the past year cos of injury to neck and have been going to gym doing some core work, cardio and few of the leg presses etc... I have noticed that I have lost a good bit of weight which I want to put back on. I was wondering if I can do this if I am not lifting weights...

If calories in > calories out, you should put on weight.

There won't be any muscle though (unless you're 'supplementing').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer is yes. Long answer is that it depends on what kind of weight you want to put back on. Do you want a little more fatty cushion all over, or do you want more muscle? And if the latter, do you want it all over or just in specific areas?

For example, if you want to put weight on in the form of muscle all over, then you will need to do a form of bodybuilder routine coupled with a greater protein diet. You don't necessarily have to lift weights, but you will have to do some form of high-intensity strength exercises.

• Advertisement

If calories in > calories out, you should put on weight.

There won't be any muscle though (unless you're 'supplementing').

What do you mean by supplementing? I don't want to put on fat

seamus wrote: »
    Short answer is yes. Long answer is that it depends on what kind of weight you want to put back on. Do you want a little more fatty cushion all over, or do you want more muscle? And if the latter, do you want it all over or just in specific areas?

For example, if you want to put weight on in the form of muscle all over, then you will need to do a form of bodybuilder routine coupled with a greater protein diet. You don't necessarily have to lift weights, but you will have to do some form of high-intensity strength exercises.

I don't want to put in fat, would prefer to put on muscle on my arms and chest, my arms have gone really skinny. What high intensity strength exercises could I do that doesn't involve lifting weight?

I don't want to put in fat, would prefer to put on muscle on my arms and chest, my arms have gone really skinny. What high intensity strength exercises could I do that doesn't involve lifting weight?

You're going to have to lift some kind of weight if you want to build muscle, low to medium weight with high repetitions has been shown to be an effective way to build muscle whilst not aggravating injury.

What do you mean by supplementing? I don't want to put on fat

How do you propose to build muscle without lifting weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

You will burn more fat by lifting weights, that is a fact. However diet will account for the vast majority of your body composition change. It's great that you seem to have that nailed down and it's working for you.

You are much better off being in your position, i.e. eating properly and not going to a gym, than the majority of people who are trying(or claim to be trying) to change their phsyique by eating crap and going to the gym a couple of times a week.

The reality is that if you want to change your physique significantly, you're going to have to lift weights. However if you're just keen to lose some fat and get healthy, what you're doing is fine supplemented with some walking/jogging and bodyweight exercises. Get a pull up bar for at home. Do press ups with four second negatives.

The most important thing is that you keep your eating in line. Without that, you're powerless.

Maybe you could try using a rowing machine on the highest setting? Along with the core work this should target a fair amount of your upper body.

I'm no expert on gaining mass, but alot of rowers do have decent size in their arms and chest. Just an idea, might be worth a go! :)

Rowers also lift weights.

Rowers also lift weights.

Yep. But they mostly do a sh*tload of rowing...

What's your point? The rowing has no bearing on their upper body development?

If he can hit most of the muscles in his upper body and get his nutrition right, it might be effective until his injuries heal. (So long as it doesn't turn into an endurance session - hence why I suggested using a high resistance)

Yep. But they mostly do a sh*tload of rowing...

What's your point? The rowing has no bearing on their upper body development?

If he can hit most of the muscles in his upper body and get his nutrition right, it might be effective until his injuries heal. (So long as it doesn't turn into an endurance session - hence why I suggested using a high resistance)

He wants to put on muscle. He won't do that with rowing even at a high resistance. And the resistance level quickly tops out.

But it's all moot since the OP originally meant doing it all without doing exercise

wigsa100 wrote: »
    You will burn more fat by lifting weights, that is a fact. However diet will account for the vast majority of your body composition change. It's great that you seem to have that nailed down and it's working for you.

You are much better off being in your position, i.e. eating properly and not going to a gym, than the majority of people who are trying(or claim to be trying) to change their phsyique by eating crap and going to the gym a couple of times a week.

I assume this is directed at me?

Cheers man, It's been quite strange but after a lifetime of eating crap I simply stopped and began eating healthy with the help of google of course:D I am now trying different things everyday and my protein intake at the moment would defo be over 95%. I am still eating small bits of cheese, milk, potatoes as I love them and find it hard not to eat them.

Things like chocolate, coke, breakfast rolls, fast foods ect.. just don't do it for me now. it's a bit sad but i'm looking forward to cooking/eating the liver/onions I have for tomorrow :D

It's been a shock to the system, I have even felt dizzy at times but with a sudden shortge of sugar that'd be expected ...

I do an hours walk most nights which tides me over.

• Advertisement

How do you propose to build muscle without lifting weights?

that was my original question I suppose. im trying to put on weight while I cant really lift weight at the moment other than leg presses etc...

It's going to be difficult in the short term, while you are so limited. That doesn't mean you can't improve your physique though.

Make sure you're eating enough and do what you can do within the constraints of your injury. You can't really do any more than that.

What exercises have you been told you can and can't do?

It's going to be difficult in the short term, while you are so limited. That doesn't mean you can't improve your physique though.

Make sure you're eating enough and do what you can do within the constraints of your injury. You can't really do any more than that.

What exercises have you been told you can and can't do?

Im not allowed lift any weights over my head or pull down on any weights over head. I can lift some dumb bells for my arms but I don't want to aggravate the neck so im limited in what I can do. Im very conscious of injuring of neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Im not allowed lift any weights over my head or pull down on any weights over head. I can lift some dumb bells for my arms but I don't want to aggravate the neck so im limited in what I can do. Im very conscious of injuring of neck.

Sounds like you've done something serious. Talk to your physio, if you don't have one, visit one. No one can really advise you about lifting weights if you've done something serious to your spine.

In the interim, eat well. If cardio is allowed, an exercise bike or a recumbent exercise bike if you've neck issues might be best but clear it with the experts first.

No one in their right mind would take a risk with their neck!

Just do what your physio has given the ok for and if you're losing weight and you're conscious of losing muscle, then maybe increase your food and protein intake and just do what you're comfortable doing in terms of exercise.

I wouldn't worry about putting on muscle until you're in a position to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

I assume this is directed at me?

Cheers man, It's been quite strange but after a lifetime of eating crap I simply stopped and began eating healthy with the help of google of course:D I am now trying different things everyday and my protein intake at the moment would defo be over 95%. I am still eating small bits of cheese, milk, potatoes as I love them and find it hard not to eat them.

Things like chocolate, coke, breakfast rolls, fast foods ect.. just don't do it for me now. it's a bit sad but i'm looking forward to cooking/eating the liver/onions I have for tomorrow :D

It's been a shock to the system, I have even felt dizzy at times but with a sudden shortge of sugar that'd be expected ...

I do an hours walk most nights which tides me over.

95% sounds pretty high. You still need a certain amount of carbs to fuel yourself, although if you're only walking, you won't need a whole pile. If you do decide to start going to the gym and training hard there, you'll need to up your carbs to build muscle. It isn't as simple as just eating ****loads of protein and building muscle. You need to fuel your body to do so.

Well done on fixing your diet. I'm sure it was a shock to the system but I'd say you're surprised how simple a fix it was in the end aren't you? If you can maintain a healthy eating habit, you've got the hard part done.

wigsa100 wrote: »
    95% sounds pretty high. You still need a certain amount of carbs to fuel yourself, although if you're only walking, you won't need a whole pile. If you do decide to start going to the gym and training hard there, you'll need to up your carbs to build muscle. It isn't as simple as just eating ****loads of protein and building muscle. You need to fuel your body to do so.

Well done on fixing your diet. I'm sure it was a shock to the system but I'd say you're surprised how simple a fix it was in the end aren't you? If you can maintain a healthy eating habit, you've got the hard part done.

I only eat one meal a day really mate, I always have. You could probably argue it's not enough food for someone of my age/height but it seems to do me. With the proper food I'm feeling like I've a full stomach more often and for longer.

Ye, The funny thing is I have had no real cravings for sugary things. The only thing that seems to be tempting is a crème egg Mcflurry:P Seems like a dirt thought almost these days :D:D:D

my main diet is liver, steak, chops, tuna, salmon, smoked salmon, coley, cheese, mixed veg, onion, lots of water, eggs, sweet potatoes, white potatoes and chicken. Anything I should add to keep things intresting?

I really miss bread is there any real alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I actually experienced this since the summer of 2015. I love having a healthy body now.

Personally, I think if you keep eating the way you are, you will get skinny and lose the fat. But you will be literally skinny like the previously posted picture and your appearance will improve but it takes time. Be patient!

You are going to have to do some weight lifting if you are going for a look and to fill up the excess skin caused by weight loss. I combine weight lifting with high speed interval training on the treadmill and it works wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not allowed to my who? What was the injury?
    If you are still injured don't worry about weights until you are recovered. If you are recovered but told to never lift weights again, then get a second opinion.

Based on what you said above, I'd rule out any sort of weights involving the shoulder joint for now. Bench pressing puts as much load on the nect as overhead pressing.

But there still lots you can do. Lower body weights. Build muscle in you legs and core, burn fat. Some people will insist that increased free testosterone will increase upper body mass. Decide for yourself.

Obviously barbel back squats are out. But Leg press is a worthwhile alternative that puts no load on the neck. Leg curls, extensions, glute ham raises, calves. etc

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Not allowed to my who? What was the injury?
    If you are still injured don't worry about weights until you are recovered. If you are recovered but told to never lift weights again, then get a second opinion.

Based on what you said above, I'd rule out any sort of weights involving the shoulder joint for now. Bench pressing puts as much load on the nect as overhead pressing.

But there still lots you can do. Lower body weights. Build muscle in you legs and core, burn fat. Some people will insist that increased free testosterone will increase upper body mass. Decide for yourself.

Obviously barbel back squats are out. But Leg press is a worthwhile alternative that puts no load on the neck. Leg curls, extensions, glute ham raises, calves. etc

I had a neck injury a year ago and have been getting physio on and off the past year. it is a tightness in the neck (one side or the other usually) area with a pain in my left arm. physio says it was tightness in my neck muscles and is not as tight now so I could do some weights on my arms but none overhead. I still feel the tightness so I myself don't feel like I can do weights on it and I don't want it to seize up fully like it did before so very conscious of it.

ive been doing pilates for the past 8-9 months but hasn't really helped.

I had a neck injury a year ago and have been getting physio on and off the past year. it is a tightness in the neck (one side or the other usually) area with a pain in my left arm. physio says it was tightness in my neck muscles and is not as tight now so I could do some weights on my arms but none overhead. I still feel the tightness so I myself don't feel like I can do weights on it and I don't want it to seize up fully like it did before so very conscious of it.

ive been doing pilates for the past 8-9 months but hasn't really helped.

Has your physio given you any sort of prognosis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Only In the last 2 weeks, I have completely changed my diet to 'proper' food. No more Mcdonalds, subway ect..

I always thought subway was fairly healthy no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Subway market themselves as selling "fresh" food, but fresh does not always mean healthy

discus wrote: »
    Subway market themselves as selling "fresh" food, but fresh does not always mean healthy

Of all fast food outlets, I'd choose subway though

discus wrote: »

Yeah but they're still more healthy than McDonalds.

• Advertisement

They are more healthy, but studies have shown that they actually have more calories than a similar mcdonald's meal. Eating them everyday would soon increase your belly size :( Such a shame because they are beautiful sandwiches.

Could anyone tell me an appropriate timespan to see results from a diet of little exercise but eating mostly healthy/protein foods?

They are more healthy, but studies have shown that they actually have more calories than a similar mcdonald's meal. Eating them everyday would soon increase your belly size :( Such a shame because they are beautiful sandwiches.

Could anyone tell me an appropriate timespan to see results from a diet of little exercise but eating mostly healthy/protein foods?

You need more balance than protein foods. Carbs and healthy fats along with protein is the balance you need to look at. Google macros.

You can have a healthy subway, you have to know what healthy is first

A footlong meatball marinara has 31g of fat, combine that with crisps and a coke for a typical lunch and you are not far off the average persons recommended fat allowance for a day plus lots of sugar.

Yeah but they're still more healthy than McDonalds.
    That debatable tbh.
    I'd guess that either could be better depending on specific choice

Obviously it depends on the type of sandwich and how much you put in it, but overall they're a lot healthier. Some people go overboard with the filings though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

:eek::eek::eek:

Obviously it depends on the type of sandwich and how much you put in it, but overall they're a lot healthier. Some people go overboard with the filings though.

I think you'd be surprised tbh.
    The option fillings, lettuce tomato, onion, pickle, etc aren't going to make a massive difference to the basic calories. It's everything else that brings the calories.

Here's the nutrition from typical McDonalds options.
    McDonalds Calories Protein Fat Carbs
    Big Mac 508 28 24 41
    1/4 Pounder w/ cheese 518 31 25 37
    McChicken Sandwich 388 16 16 44
    Meal deal (Fries and Coke) +507 3 16 84

So a BigMac meal is just over 1000 cals.
    A McChicken meal with a Coke Zero is 725cals.

Here's subway nutritional data;
    Subway 6" Calories Protein Fat Carbs
    Chicken & Bacon Ranch 502 38 19 40
    Meatball (w/cheese, southwest) 582 27.5 29.2 50
    Chicken breast (lite mayo, american) 400 29 13.4 41
    Meal deal (Crisps and Coke) +395 2.4 12.7 67.3

The meatball meal is just under 1000 cals.
    Grilled Chicken meal with a coke zero is 600 cals

The first thing that stands out is the McDonalds burgers are very similar to comparable subway sandwiches. The subs themselves are no healthier than the burgers. The main factor that makes a subway "meal" slightly less is that a packet of crisps has less calories than a medium chips. And yes, you can lower the cals by skipping the cheese or the sauce. But you can do that in McDonalds too.

I based it off typical subs. I wasn't purposely going high calories. They are all on wheat bread too, picking a different bread would raise the calories further. The above weren't the worst choices, one of the regular subs came in at 660 cals.

And these are 6" subs. A footlong is like order an extra burger.

Yeah but its not just the calories, its how its made. Two meals could have the same amout of calories but are cooked differently. For example grilled chicken vs fried chicken.

Yeah but its not just the calories, its how its made. Two meals could have the same amout of calories but are cooked differently. For example grilled chicken vs fried chicken.
    The nutritional data takes into account how a meal is cooked. That's the info as prepared, not raw ingredients.

The negative aspect of fried chicken is that it had more fat (and therefore calories) verses grilled. And its true that the McChicken patty in its own probably has more fat than the subway grilled chicken on its own (which is reformed meat btw). But there's extra fat in the rest of the subway so that it's very little difference as served.

As I said lads, Subway might be considered a bit healthier, but calorie wise it's very similar to the rest of the fast food places. Jaysus, To think at one stage, I ate subway at least 4 days a week with all the extras lol..

Has your physio given you any sort of prognosis?

tight neck muscles is all she said and it has gotten a lot better now according to physio - not as tight she says but I still feel the tightness in my neck - she said sometimes it can take time before my mind realizes my neck is fine - I don't know what to think of that!

Diet seems to going very well lads, 10 stone 6 this morning down from 11 stone 3 and this is only my 3rd week. My sugar intake is practically nothing at this stage and I've seriously cut down on the carbs..

Diet seems to going very well lads, 10 stone 6 this morning down from 11 stone 3 and this is only my 3rd week. My sugar intake is practically nothing at this stage and I've seriously cut down on the carbs..

Sounds real healthy... :eek:

Keep it up, you'll be rivaling the guys in Auschwitz in no time!

On a serious note though, do you see yourself eating like this long term? Low carb diets do produce rapid weight loss results, but also frequently rapid weight gain eventually too... and health problems. (you need glucose for brain function, mood etc)

(btw your first post said 11 stone 6, not 11 stone 3...?)

On a serious note though, do you see yourself eating like this long term? Low carb diets do produce rapid weight loss results, but also frequently rapid weight gain eventually too... and health problems. (you need glucose for brain function, mood etc)

No, I couldnt eat like this long-term, the weight loss would become too much eventually. I was just taking it a day at a time really. I'm not sure what to do from here to be honest. Didnt think i'd lose this much weight in such a short timescale.

No, I couldnt eat like this long-term, the weight loss would become too much eventually. I was just taking it a day at a time really. I'm not sure what to do from here to be honest. Didnt think i'd lose this much weight in such a short timescale.

Usually your first couple of weeks you'll lose big numbers like that. That kind of loss won't continue. If you lost 10lbs a month it'd be reasonable

• Advertisement
Advertisement