Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

changing skinny fat without exercise.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

carzony wrote: »
    No, I couldnt eat like this long-term, the weight loss would become too much eventually. I was just taking it a day at a time really. I'm not sure what to do from here to be honest. Didnt think i'd lose this much weight in such a short timescale.

A lot of the initial weight loss will be down to glycogen depletion from low carbing, plus the associated water.

That said based on your height, you are really at the bottom end of a healthly weight range. 10 stone gives you a BMI of 18.5. BMI does have it's flaws, and isn't intended for individuals but it's a lot of accurate for underweight than overweight.

I think very soon, you need to look at adding muscle to combat the skinny fat issue. There is always time to lose fat again in future if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

No, I couldnt eat like this long-term, the weight loss would become too much eventually. I was just taking it a day at a time really. I'm not sure what to do from here to be honest. Didnt think i'd lose this much weight in such a short timescale.

From reading your posts, I was thinking you were following the Zoey Harcombe diet or something very similar. From my reading of that diet she employs that very low carb approach in the beginning - which creates rapid initial weight loss - then slowly reintroduces the carbs.

(She also does not think exercise is necessary for sustained weight loss - which is another reason I was thinking you were following that diet)

It's not an approach I would favor myself, but if you are committed to that way going forward... and you want a long term strategy when you start eating more carbs... maybe consider downloading her book. As it does sound very similar to the approach you're taking. (Not sure which book I read, it was a while ago now) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

From reading your posts, I was thinking you were following the Zoey Harcombe diet or something very similar. From my reading of that diet she employs that very low carb approach in the beginning - which creates rapid initial weight loss - then slowly reintroduces the carbs.

(She also does not think exercise is necessary for sustained weight loss - which is another reason I was thinking you were following that diet)

It's not an approach I would favor myself, but if you are committed to that way going forward... and you want a long term strategy when you start eating more carbs... maybe consider downloading her book. As it does sound very similar to the approach you're taking. (Not sure which book I read, it was a while ago now) :)

I have not read any books or don't even know much about the whole fitness/diet thing. I simply wanted to have a healthier lifestyle whilst trying to loose the skinny fat look that I have. I was initially hoping to get rid of my large stomach, love handles and double chin. I also would have liked to improve my complection. Believe it or not I just got into this diet thing accidentially when I realised how easy and enjoyable healthy eating was.

I have noticed my double chin is nearly gone and my stomach has defo lost a good bit of fat.

The problem know is that i'll have to begin a weight program to increase my lack of muscle as I feel very small and light (which makes sense). To increase muscle and therefore my activity in the gym, I assume i'll have to also increase my food/calories?

The problem know is that i'll have to begin a weight program to increase my lack of muscle as I feel very small and light (which makes sense). To increase muscle and therefore my activity in the gym, I assume i'll have to also increase my food/calories?
    Essentially that's what you have to do. It's not a problem really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Bought a barbell, just for a bit of activity for the evening times. Done a 30 min lifting exercise with technique help from youtube. I have to say I found it tough.. Very sore the last few days lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Bought a barbell, just for a bit of activity for the evening times. Done a 30 min lifting exercise with technique help from youtube. I have to say I found it tough.. Very sore the last few days lol

The pain will pass, don't overdo it in the beginning. Bit of advice as a fellow skinny fat sufferer, don't go into a big calorie surplus trying to build muscle (this is the advice you will get on most of the bodybuilding forums). You will just end up a stronger fatter version of yourself. You need to lose the excess fat first and then bulk slowly for the best results. It takes a lot of time to get it right but it is well worth the effort.

Your diet is 80% of the battle while trying to lose the fat, I cannot stress this enough.

The two websites below have helped me a lot and I have had excellent results by following the advice here.

http://skinnyfattransformation.com/

http://www.muscleforlife.com/skinny-fat-solution/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Yep. But they mostly do a sh*tload of rowing...

What's your point? The rowing has no bearing on their upper body development?

If he can hit most of the muscles in his upper body and get his nutrition right, it might be effective until his injuries heal. (So long as it doesn't turn into an endurance session - hence why I suggested using a high resistance)

Rowers use their legs a hell of a lot more than their arms. You propel the boat by leg strength. If your using an erg to build muscle on your arms, you're using it incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Have you tried dry needling on your neck? I had something similar and physio was getting me no where, after the second session of dry needling I saw a 100% improvement.

biZrb wrote: »
    If your using an erg to build muscle on your arms, you're using it incorrectly.
    Fixed your post. (And agree with you btw)

An ERG is a fantastic piece of kit, for cardio not for mass building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭BigProblem

Have you tried dry needling on your neck? I had something similar and physio was getting me no where, after the second session of dry needling I saw a 100% improvement.

I did at the start and thought it helped but physio stopped using it. I might look into getting it done again, what was the issue with your neck? did you have tightness in the neck area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

BigProblem wrote: »
    tight neck muscles is all she said and it has gotten a lot better now according to physio - not as tight she says but I still feel the tightness in my neck - she said sometimes it can take time before my mind realizes my neck is fine - I don't know what to think of that!

so you've been seeing this physio for months, they have not given you a specific diagnosis apart from "tight muscles", they say you "feel" better despite you not actually feeling it.

mate, i think your physio might be Sh*t ... all physios were not created equal maybe do some research on who's available in your area, or people here might be able to recommend someone for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

BigProblem wrote: »
    I did at the start and thought it helped but physio stopped using it. I might look into getting it done again, what was the issue with your neck? did you have tightness in the neck area?

I Broke vertebrae in my neck so I was in a brace for 3 months, I could not hold me head up after I took it off all my muscles were gone weak and after I got strength into them they were tight as if they were stuck together, it still is tight on my right hand side but nothing like it used to be stopped phsio a year ago and just accept that it will never be right.

Advertisement