Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X5 not getting up to full temperture

• 16-04-2016 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

As above my jeep isn't getting to full temperture lately. It will sit usually at about a quarter way. Also heat not up fully inside either. It has the correct amount of coolant in it. Any possible easy checks causes to try.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Your thermostat is sticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Your thermostat is sticking.

+1

Sounds like thermostat stuck in open position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I'd almost bet it's the EGR thermostat. Easy to remove and test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I'd almost bet it's the EGR thermostat. Easy to remove and test.

Surely if you remove the stuck open thermostat it will still not get up to temperature because no thermstat is the same as an open thermostat :confused: Or does the EGR thermostat work in another way?

I'm not suggesting leaving it out, I meant that it is easy to remove to test. If you can blow through it when it is cold it needs to be replaced. It's a common fault with the M57 engine.

I replaced mine a few years back - took about 10mins.

Simple instructions here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhtfKliAkiU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I'm not suggesting leaving it out, I meant that it is easy to remove to test. If you can blow through it when it is cold it needs to be replaced. It's a common fault with the M57 engine.

I replaced mine a few years back - took about 10mins.

Simple instructions here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhtfKliAkiU

Ah I see. I thought you mean he should test it without a thermostat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

I ordered the ordinary thermostat today so will check the egr one tomorrow when I'm sorting it. The last few times I drive it it never heated more than a quarter way.

I ordered the ordinary thermostat today so will check the egr one tomorrow when I'm sorting it. The last few times I drive it it never heated more than a quarter way.

Check the EGR thermostat before you fit the other one as there's no coolant loss and is very easy to check.

I decided to get the egr one anyways now and am going to try that first as it's easier. Forgot I had the same trouble on my 3 series and when I replaced it it ran much better and more ecomnoical.

Is it possible my jeep dosent have an egr thermostat ant find one anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Is it possible my jeep dosent have an egr thermostat ant find one anywhere.

Yes. I had a 04 X5 with no egr stat.

Just An update no egr thermostat it has some sort of a funky engine block heater fitted to it.
    Fitted the ordinary thermostat into it this evening and it sorted it so back getting decent miles per gallon again when I drive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Just An update no egr thermostat it has some sort of a funky engine block heater fitted to it.
    Fitted the ordinary thermostat into it this evening and it sorted it so back getting decent miles per gallon again when I drive it.

That 'funky engine block heater' would be a webasto heater.

If you are really bothered, you can configure it to come on at specific times of the day to heat things up prior to use. I believe in colder climates this is a regularly done thing to defrost the car in the mornings..... I think the default for this part of the world is that it comes on when you start the car with outside temp < 3 degreesC. You may notice your car gets toastier faster than other cars on cold mornings especially when you turn on the heated seats too!!:D

Yes that's it aluminium block on the right hand side as u look in. It turns on every time the jeep is unlocked. Tbh I might try get it turned off. Sitting here waiting on doe atm.

Advertisement