Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Sportives getting too Expensive?

Options
  • 16-04-2016 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Being looking at doing a few Sportives I've not done before. Been a couple of years since I've done any. Seems to have gone very expensive. Some events charging €40 and more, most are a minumum of €25 with no Jersey or anything. I appreciate there all run mostly for charity but you would be broke attending them regularly. Most races charge way less than this. I understand races just try to cover there costs and aren't raising money. If people are willing to pay some will say what's the problem. I just think it's got a bit out of hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I wouldn't consider those prices as ott, having paid three or four times that for sportives on the continent.

Logistics of a sportive are generally much more extensive that a race imo.

Of course, opinion on what's ott pricewise is all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I do agree that the prices are getting a little too expensive. The main ones in the €40 bracket are the bigger ones I found. The An Post/Skoda ones for example. Then there are others for bigger charities like the Sean Kelly ones for the heart foundation. The spins organised by the local groups are much more reasonably priced.

The issue is that cycling as a pastime has taken off exponentially in the last few years, and these organised spins are a serious money maker. If people are willing to pay up, and numbers aren't dropping, the prices aren't going to fall.

Next thing there will be an organised cycle where you have to pay to get into a draw to enter, and if picked, you have to pay through the nose to do the cycle. Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

I think that some sportives are getting pricey. I know of relatively new event close to me where the return made by the organisers was staggering - running into several tens of thousand. Now some of this money was donated to charity.
    If you organise an event and attract a certain critical mass then as an organiser you will do significantly better than break even. The risk is that you do not attract the necessary number of participants and make a loss. Such is the price of risk.
    Personally I like to know where my funds are going prior to signing up. Nowadays I generally only do club based events that plough the money back into cycling or do a few Audax events with entry between €5 and €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

They're getting far too expensive. All the money collected should go to charity. There should be no costs involved. Everyone contributing should be doing so on a voluntary basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

guanciale wrote: »
    Nowadays I generally only do club based events that plough the money back into cycling or do a few Audax events with entry between €5 and €10.

Audax are great, great value, great routes and great craic, not quite the 1000's doing the WW200 or the SKT, but always a good bunch of people you can spend the day talking to and sharing the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They're not cheap alright, some of em. And if you're doing a lot of cycling and not stopping at all the feeding troughs then you get less value for your money again. Less of this cake and sandwiches every 30k in a 120k spin would reduce costs

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

spoke2cun wrote: »
    They're getting far too expensive. All the money collected should go to charity. There should be no costs involved. Everyone contributing should be doing so on a voluntary basis.

There have to be costs involved. Purchasing food for middle and end, hire of portaloos, PA system, contribution to venue (eg gaa club), order of Malta for ambulance cover , online sign on facility etc etc. One I know best charges relatively modestly, depends on many volunteers from charities (as well as club members) too do stewarding etc. All surplus goes to charities providing volunteers, but more than 50% goes on costs. If weather unfavourable and poor turnout, very little left for charities. If food is substandard, will get slated here and elsewhere, so needs to reach a certain mark.
    On starting cycling myself some years back, and discovering the concept of sportives, I said I would go to loads the next year. But instead I find myself picking 4-6 per year to go to, and enjoy plenty of 80-100 km spins with the club on other weekends.
    Also, I think virtually all are run for charity, or to raise club funds for youth programmes etc. Only one I heard of that was 'profit driven' withered for lack of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

The gran fondo up in Belfast is £65 (not sure of what that is in €), ridiculous price. The big advantage is the roads are fully closed and you get a castelli jersey. I did it last year and I have to say it was very good but it's more expensive this year and I am not paying £65 for roads that I would ride regularly enough for free! 3000 people times £65! That's some lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    The gran fondo up in Belfast is £65 (not sure of what that is in €), ridiculous price. The big advantage is the roads are fully closed and you get a castelli jersey. I did it last year and I have to say it was very good but it's more expensive this year and I am not paying £65 for roads that I would ride regularly enough for free! 3000 people times £65! That's some lift!

How much does it cost to close the roads?
    How much does it cost for insuance for this type of event?
    £65 x 3000 is a lot, until you start deducting expenses... ( though I would love to know how much profit the organisers actually make)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

07Lapierre wrote: »
    How much does it cost to close the roads?
    How much does it cost for insuance for this type of event?
    £65 x 3000 is a lot, until you start deducting expenses... ( though I would love to know how much profit the organisers actually make)

It was supported by NI Tourism so I'd imagine that some of the costs such as road closure were subsidised.

Last year, the food stops and pasta party were very disappointing but the general organisation was very good. Its a good day out with great local support but unfortunately, the exchange rate makes it very expensive especially if accommodation is factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Jim Stynes wrote: »

That's nothing - cycling in Canada is a whole other ball game. The Gran Fondo is a proper rip off over here -
    https://ccnbikes.com/#!/events/2016-rbc-granfondo-whistler

Anywhere from $200 to $550 (120 - 370euro) depending on routes and how far in advance you purchase. It's not just the Gran Fondo - all the sportives and the organised cycling events in Canada are ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you are willing to pay for a long spin in the countryside, that has a few food stops and an ill fitting jersey then you probably deserve to be fleeced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Did the maratona dles dolomites last year, approx 100euro, but you get a tenner back at the finish, or a cap, a nice water bottle, wrist sweatband, castelli gilet and short sleeve jersey, lovely official programme and loads of other bits and pieces.
    Worth doing it for the goody bag alone!
    Thats how it should be done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Next thing there will be an organised cycle where you have to pay to get into a draw to enter, and if picked, you have to pay through the nose to do the cycle. Oh wait....

ROK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

€15 today for what is probably the best organised sportive in the country!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057566458

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Ya I think people are losing the run of themselves a little, I saw a 60km cycle for a secondary school today charging 20€ with all funds going to the school. just that little bit greedy/naive and turned off the local clubs.

I think 20-30 euro is fairly reasonable for a 100km plus cycle that doesn't have a goody bag but will have food. Showers are a bonus but you can't expect them.

When you get into 40 € bracket a goody bag is definitely expected , think the An Post ones are generally OK - I make good use of the gilets from the rebel tour during the winter.

Anything more than €50 is pure profiteering no matter what charity spin people put on it. I've had my fill of one in particular. I have suspicions that all is at is seems after I and a more I know got emails claiming we hadn't returned cards/money when we all had. heard excuse that people weren't paying used to justify putting a high minimum fee/ sponsorship. Haven't done it in 4 years and have no intention of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought the Dying light 200 for 12 was about as good as it gets, til the Tara 200 this year for a fiver, and I know at least 70 cents of that was posting my brevet card out.

The Donegal Sportive today seems the job, I'd say I'll be up to it next year, Great attitude from the organisers posting, and good things from WishboneAsh and MercianPro

I did the Gran Fondo last year in Belfast, and like Jim Stynes, Green bananas and Gells for STG50, I can pass on again. That and the whole no-guarantee-of-signing-on-on-the-day despite not being told of this before paying in full, many months before.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Some charity spins have certainly lost the run of themselves. I think everybody wants something for their money these days. For example here in Kerry a few weekends ago their was the Tour de Ballyfinane, all proceeds going to a national school. Entry fee €20, extremely well marshaled, 2 food stops, great route and a almighty spread of food afterwards...you feel you've contributed AND have gotten something in return. In contrast their is another charity ride in Kerry coming up soon with a boring route that has had no thought put into it, no food afterwards and zero mention of any marshals or food/water stops and it's asking €30 "minimum contribution". It gets a bit annoying when you do a dozen or so events a year.

In fairness lads, you can't really include Audax when comparing as they generally don't have marshals, directional signage, food stops, mechanical support, medical support, broom wagon etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

terrydel wrote: »
    Did the maratona dles dolomites last year, approx 100euro, but you get a tenner back at the finish, or a cap, a nice water bottle, wrist sweatband, castelli gilet and short sleeve jersey, lovely official programme and loads of other bits and pieces.
    Worth doing it for the goody bag alone!
    Thats how it should be done here.

That's a cracking jersey and gilet. I did it too last year. Bargin event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Learned my lesson, back in 2012, about what sportives to do and those to 'guest' on. When I say 'guest', I mean there is no harm hopping on a group as it heads out and not taking advantage of any spread afterwards.

The event which let themselves down was run by Dunboyne GAA, who were collecting for their swanky new clubhouse. That should have been a warning in itself - don't pay to prop up the coffers of an affluent GAA club. IIRC it was e35! No goody bag, no tea/coffee at the start and amazingly no food ready at the end. The organisers were obviously new to this organising lark and were clueless that a group of riders could complete a 100km route in under 3 hours. So, they organised food to arrive for roughly 4 hours after the event began. Crazy, crazy... There was an offer to send us round to a local café for tea and a sandwich, at their expense - one which I was keen to take up, but the other lads were polite to go along. So... we had cocktail sausauges and tea, quickly provided by someone behind the aforementioned sumptuous new club bar. Starving hungry at that stage, I wolfed into them and unsurprisingly started to dehydrate on the long spin home. Not a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I can't understand why adults want goody bags!!.. My young lad is even getting sick of getting them at birthday parties.
    I'd rather buy my own kit.. Have too many jerseys etc as it is and I'm sure most of us are the same.
    Anything more than €25 for a marshaled 100k route and I'm out..tea/coffee something simple to eat start middle and finish is more than enough for me. ( I'd happily leave out midway food stops but understand others wouldn't)
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I can't understand why adults want goody bags!!......
    +1

Also, it's pointless getting a goody bag when you're cycling to and from the start/finish but many volunteers will look at you as if you've 3 heads when you decline. Same with medals/certificates etc.

As for 'free' jerseys - no thanks. I prefer to select my own attire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Agree with the goody bags, they're just tat to mess the place up.

A medal/ jersey can be good way to commemorate an event if it means something to you. If it doesn't, and you object to a portion of the fee going towards it, you should really choose a more suitable event.

Jerseys are usually optional or at least it works best when they are optional, as they tend to cost more than medals to provide. Medals usually work out about 5 to 10 euro including getting the mould at a min qty of 50. If they're cheaper they're probably junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I can't understand why adults want goody bags!!.. My young lad is even getting sick of getting them at birthday parties.
    I'd rather buy my own kit.. Have too many jerseys etc as it is and I'm sure most if is are the same.
    Anything more than 25 for a marshaled 100k route and I'm out..tea/coffee something simple to eat start middle and finish is more than enough for me. ( I'd happily leave out midway food stops but understand others wouldn't)
    Marty.

+1

Exactly how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I'm with you all on the jerseys. Some of the jerseys I have received in the past have never been worn! Waste of money. I do like getting new bidons in a goodie bag though, you can never have enough of those. I got a multitool one time as well, best freebie I've ever received. At the end of the Marmotte last year you could choose what you wanted as a commemorative type thing. I picked a nice pair of socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Just wondering how sportive prices compare to other events such as adventure races marathons etc. Out of interest what does a round of golf cost? 50 YO YO would probably be my breaking point and at that I would expect decent grub and backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Don't think you get anything for less than 50 in the world of Triathlon (when you include ODLs) or adventure races thesedays.

Almost everybody on this forum is to some extent a seasoned cyclist and probably most will rattle of good 100k spins with their local club without batting an eyelid. Its only natural that you wonder why you should fork out the asking price for something you do all the time anyway.

For bigger sportives in particular the challenge aspect of completing them is massive for newbies and the the entry fee is a non issue for most. And there seems to be a never ending supply of these newbies as attendances at the bigger events will attest. These events would never survive on boardsies or our likes alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Learned my lesson, back in 2012, about what sportives to do and those to 'guest' on. When I say 'guest', I mean there is no harm hopping on a group as it heads out and not taking advantage of any spread afterwards.

what's the stance on this? i've guested myself.

Advertisement