Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Sportives getting too Expensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

nialljf wrote: »
    what's the stance on this? i've guested myself.
    What happens if a "guest" causes an accident or injury to another cyclist. Does this make the organiser's insurance invalid? Personally don't see the point in guesting or gate crashing a sportive no shortage of routes or roads if you feel the want to do a 100k some morning. I don't understand why you would choose to undermine an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

There's no stance, guesters don't talk about it or ask for permission, they just do it. I've seen it on mass and it happens more than you think... particularly as you go up the scale regarding fitness, years cycling etc. Those registered at an event are usually given something to put on their person or bike, have a look around and see how many you spot without.

And there is not a lot organisers can do really, the roads are after all open and you do pass cyclists on sportives who have nothing to do with it... they are tourists or just out for a spin. At the end of the day it is up to each "participants" conscience.

At a recent ring of kerry I heard the police had checkpoints set up outside Killarney to stop people freeloading. They are the law but one would be curious to know on what legal grounds they can stop cyclists from going up a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

At a recent ring of kerry I heard the police had checkpoints set up outside Killarney to stop people freeloading. They are the law but one would be curious to know on what legal grounds they can stop cyclists from going up a public road.

I would imagine the council has the authority to close the roads and can call in the Gardai to enforce the road closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I believe they had road closure orders for short stretches of road hence they stopped all traffic bar registered cyclists.
    Probably why they charged so much

Beaten to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

dahat wrote: »
    +1

Exactly how I feel.

Make sure you mark the Swords CC leisure tour so in your diary. Its either June 19th or 26th. A great event;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

I think if your going to sneak in and do an event for free then you should just go off and do your own cycle somewhere else instead. There is so much work involved in organising an event from food / marshalls / insurance..... and the people sneaking in and doing it and not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I had planned to do the WLAC western lakes & atlantic challenge in Galway this weekend,looked up price to register and low and behold 50 bucks.
    jeez louise i was expecting 25-30 euro but this is taking the urine!
    I requested how much of the 50 euro goes to the charities and I am awaiting a response before I register.
    whats your thoughts?
    not a happy bunny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

seanin4711 wrote: »
    I had planned to do the WLAC western lakes & atlantic challenge in Galway this weekend,looked up price to register and low and behold 50 bucks.
    jeez louise i was expecting 25-30 euro but this is taking the urine!
    I requested how much of the 50 euro goes to the charities and I am awaiting a response before I register.
    whats your thoughts?
    not a happy bunny!

Be interesting to see their reply.
    Its like all these Everest base camp treks and the likes, or your man who did the 7 or 8 highest peaks in the world or whatever it was, I dont think much if any ends up with the charities by the time the admin and running costs are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Don't think about doing the ROK then.

Although most of the cash goes to charities in their case tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I did this sportive last year and it was €40 and €30 for the 144 km and 100 km routes receptively, so it's €10 more for those two routes this year....
    However the 25 km route last year was €10, now it's gone up to €25! :eek:

According to their Facebook page, they raised €10,348 from the 2015 event (divided between Voices for Downs syndrome (€4337.00), Salthill-Knocknacarra GAA juvenile section (€4337.00) and Galway Bay CC (€1674)).

From what I remember of last year, the 144 km and 100 km routes started around the same time, and I'd say there were about 200 riders at most taking part. So let's say those routes were split 50/50, that's (€40 x 100) + (€30 x 100) = €7,000.

So that leaves well over €3,00 still needing to be raised. I don't know how many did the 25 km route (€10) and the 2.5 km route (free, but donation appreciated).

One caveat of course is that people could have donated more than the required amount.

In terms of costs, I'd say they were kept to a minimum. The food was very much all home made and there were no t-shirts or goody bags etc.

So I guesstimate that pretty much all the money raised goes towards the local charities and clubs :)

(I have no affiliation with any of those charities or clubs btw.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thread doing a bit of chatting on this very subject right over here --> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057586074

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I believe they had road closure orders for short stretches of road hence they stopped all traffic bar registered cyclists.
    Probably why they charged so much

Beaten to it

Roads were closed for large amounts of the ROK, I was checked for my ROK tag on the ascent to Molls gap, only place I can remember.

For me it was something on the "To do" list, enjoyed the spin, really enjoyed flying down the closed road from our ladies view. As a occasional sportive rider I do like something to commemorate the accomplishment, but I'd be happy a plastic number plate to stick on the shed wall (if it was ever raining I'm not sure how I'd get the certs from things like the W200/ROK home without becoming a mushy mess).

I live on the route of the W200, would never "guest" an event - either do it or go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Anyways, here is a decent spin for all the family this weekend, for cyclists, by cyclists and supporting cyclists!

Just €15, some good banter and a few hang sandwiches afterwards :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Guesting, a nice way of describing a freeloader. I have done a few sportives/charity events, If i came across a person "guesting" it wouldnt be very long before the person would be outed as a freeloading toerag, a point raised on this thread what if the aforementioned toerag causes a crash, as a non paid up participant of the event would the insurance be non valid?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bloggsie wrote: »
    what if the aforementioned toerag causes a crash, as a non paid up participant of the event would the insurance be non valid?

Not if it's on open roads - anyone is permitted to cycle. However they may leave thesmelves open to prosecution and possible compensation claims from anyone they cause injury to or damage to their bike/other property, or indeed the insurers of the event. Other participants could still rely on the event insurance thorugh, although I suspect very few people would have much idea as to what it covers beyond 3rd party liability (except for CI insurance cover where the policy and a summary of cover is published on their website)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

detones wrote: »
    Most races charge way less than this. I understand races just try to cover there costs and aren't raising money. If people are willing to pay some will say what's the problem. I just think it's got a bit out of hand.

To race though you need to pay for a race license (which covers your insurance) - €125 plus €30 if you aren't in a club (or €50 for my club membership fees). Then it's €15 per race. So for me to race 10 races it'll cost me €325 (€32.50 per race). If you race a lot though it does mean the average cost per race comes down - 20 races would work out at €23.75.

Our club sportive this year is
    110km €30
    50km €20
    15km €10

Food stops and mechanic's on all routes, last year we had 380 cyclists on it and raised €33000 (A lot gave more money, a lot of sponsorship cards plus outside of shop collections. All of the €33000 was given to the cause.

This year the cause is for a Kids cancer charity called Hand in Hand, they help families of children with cancer.

https://cyclingireland.azolve.com/portal/Login.aspx?EventId=213947

That's appropriate pricing anymore is taking the urine IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

even Cycle against Suicide has upped their prices. Used to be €40 for any amount of stages, now its 50 for 1, 80 for 2-7, and 110 for 8- 14 !!
    is it all going to charity ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    even Cycle against Suicide has upped their prices. Used to be €40 for any amount of stages, now its 50 for 1, 80 for 2-7, and 110 for 8- 14 !!
    I had planned to do a stage Monday but saw €50 and we are now leaving it, we have another way to help them that does not cost as much. We are painting bikes orange for them and hanging them and welcome signs for one of their stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Just picking up on some of the feedback on this 'guesting' business I mentioned earlier in this thread.

To be clear... I have gone out on my bike and followed the same route of a couple of local sportives on the day. In no way was I 'freeloading' or any such nonsense like that. As others have noted, the roads are free for all, I have Cycling Ireland insurance and I did not take advantage of any food/drink afterwards - I simply made my way home or continued with my spin. Any notion I'm undermining the hard work of the volunteers making the food and the charities themselves is simply not true. If I come across a spin, I don't believe I'm breaking any rules by following along before heading off on my own.

While I did no sportives and relatively little cycling in 2015, I have spent a small fortune on sportives in the past (and will probably in the future) and through experience will select which ones to do in future. I've done plenty of miles on my own but also like the large participation of certain sportive events and have no issue paying for something that gives to a genuine cause.

@Bloggsie, glad to know how you really feel.

greenspurs wrote: »

taking the p@@s imho this is a cash cow for someone.
    done nothing for suicide rates .yes i am super cynical!
    love to see the breakdown of income v expenditure.
    as for bressie dont get me started!

And don't get me started about 'awareness' charities - read Susan G Koman.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Don't join in a sportif you haven't paid for. It's bad form and dishonest if nothing else.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Don't join in a sportif you haven't paid for. It's bad form and dishonest if nothing else.

Actually, I'm too honest if anything by mentioning the above, but that's just my nature... being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

velo.2010 wrote: »
    In no way was I 'freeloading' or any such nonsense like that.

By joining in with other cyclists who were only out to do the sportive you were freeloading. Would the cyclists have been there if the sportive wasn't on? It's the same to me as joining in on club spins without paying the membership fee.

? It's the same to me as joining in on club spins without paying the membership fee.

No its not.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    ? It's the same to me as joining in on club spins without paying the membership fee.

No its not.
    Add your reply here.

I think it is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

seanin4711 wrote: »
    taking the p@@s imho this is a cash cow for someone.
    done nothing for suicide rates .yes i am super cynical!
    love to see the breakdown of income v expenditure.
    as for bressie dont get me started!

I have a strong mistrust of the charity thing too. If an event is genuine why not publish full sportive accounts on the website used to publicise the sportive in the first place. And by full I mean exactly how much was taken in, a detailed breakdown of running costs and how much was given to each charity. The time taken to do this is minimal compared to total organisation time.

I've seen too many events across various disciplines organised by cute whores who realise they can use the charity thing to play on people's good will and make an easy mini fortune. If an event is not stating how much it is donating or clearly stating all takings minus running costs (with time not billed) will go to charities you are right to start from a position of suspicion.

Finally I would like to add I have no problem with an event been run on a professional basis or 100% of takings going to a club once they are up front about it.

Advertisement