Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Sportives getting too Expensive?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

jamesd wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

I think it is too.

Is this what they call internet outrage? I'm new to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

It's a matter of personal,taste.
    For me if you happen upon a sportif while out and sit in while not using rest/food facilities then all you really are doing is sitting in on a group.
    If you target a ride show up don't pay but don't take rest/food facilities then I feel that many cyclists would view that as different, but then again ymmv as they say.
    I live in an area where pretty much every week from April thru October there is some class of group ride/charity ride/sportif. If I was to avoid these I'd hardly get out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I have a strong mistrust of the charity thing too. If an event is genuine why not publish full sportive accounts on the website used to publicise the sportive in the first place. And by full I mean exactly how much was taken in, a detailed breakdown of running costs and how much was given to each charity. The time taken to do this is minimal compared to total organisation time.

I've seen too many events across various disciplines organised by cute whores who realise they can use the charity thing to play on people's good will and make an easy mini fortune. If an event is not stating how much it is donating or clearly stating all takings minus running costs (with time not billed) will go to charities you are right to start from a position of suspicion.

Finally I would like to add I have no problem with an event been run on a professional basis or 100% of takings going to a club once they are up front about it.

Cycle Against Suicide publish their annual report and the 2014 one is available here

http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/annaul_review_2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Cycle Against Suicide publish their annual report and the 2014 one is available here

http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/annaul_review_2014.pdf

Am I reading that right in that only 28k was available for the charity after all the costs? Thats less than 5% of the money raised?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Am I reading that right in that only 28k was available for the charity after all the costs? Thats less than 5% of the money raised?

their revenue has at least doubled since then and with this years price increase,who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It depends what was under Cost of Sales and Other Operating Expenses. Pity these are not broken out.

Anyway, the objective of the charity is to "raise awareness" so I guess it's achieving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It depends what was under Cost of Sales and Other Operating Expenses. Pity these are not broken out.

Anyway, the objective of the charity is to "raise awareness" so I guess it's achieving that.

The only thing I would draw from the document is that two staff were paid €108K in wages for a period of 18 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The only thing I would draw from the document is that two staff were paid €108K in wages.

The bastards, expecting to be paid for the hard work they are doing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The only thing I would draw from the document is that two staff were paid €108K in wages.

Well and the fact they couldn't get their accounts from last year ready by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Well and the fact they couldn't get their accounts from last year ready by now.

A company has 9 months to file accounts from the date of their year end which would give them up to the end of June 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

That is a great example of a report that satisfies statutory requirements but tells you absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A company has 9 months to file accounts from the date of their year end which would give them up to the end of June 2016.

If they're being open, then it should be no problem to have their accounts ready before their main fundraising program of their year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

2 people to run a cycle once a year? And be paid 50k each for that?

Sorry, but we are talking about raising 500k+ in donations. Raise awareness seems a lot like the LAF foundation. Not actually doing anything but putting up a few posters.

Instead of giving money to a PR firm why not give it directly to the charities that actually help, either those suffering from mental health issues or possible to those charities that provide solace and support for those left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Is this what they call internet outrage? I'm new to this.
    No just me sharing my taught s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

If they're being open, then it should be no problem to have their accounts ready before their main fundraising program of their year?

I had emailed 'them' during the week looking for their accounts, and a breakdown of what the 'charity' actually gets.....
    No response.....
    Cash cow.. absolutley.
    We are also discussing the cash flow of the CaS on the "cycle against suicide 2016 " thread

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Don't join in a sportif you haven't paid for. It's bad form and dishonest if nothing else.

What if I'm cycling along and the Sportive joins me? Do I have to change route for fear of being dishonest?

I'd have zero qualms about sharing a route with a sportive. I wouldn't take any food or drink they provide along the route though, that's stealing

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Brian? wrote:
    What if I'm cycling along and the Sportive joins me? Do I have to change route for fear of being dishonest?

If you follow a sportive for its entire route and that being your entire cycle thats taken advantage of the event.

Completely different if your out and it just so happens that part of your cycle coincides with a sportive. Unless the roads are closed off no one should feel they should have to change part of their planned route just to avoid a sportive/check up the night before for roads you have to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Just checked out the tour of Meath sportive coming up there, prompted by another thread. Thought it might be cool for us to take the kids on the 50k loop.

Price? €160.

I think family obesity would work out cheaper. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have always thought that the Tour of Meath was one of the better value sportives.
    It's very well organised, food stops are great, finish is great, food at finish is good
    and you get a very nice jersey.
    To my mind that's good value at 30 yoyo a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

fat bloke wrote: »
    Just checked out the tour of Meath sportive coming up there, prompted by another thread. Thought it might be cool for us to take the kids on the 50k loop.

Price? €160.

I think family obesity would work out cheaper. :rolleyes:

Do 4 laps of the 11km family spin instead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

2 people to run a cycle once a year? And be paid 50k each for that?

Sorry, but we are talking about raising 500k+ in donations. Raise awareness seems a lot like the LAF foundation. Not actually doing anything but putting up a few posters.

Instead of giving money to a PR firm why not give it directly to the charities that actually help, either those suffering from mental health issues or possible to those charities that provide solace and support for those left behind.

I don't think there's really anything wrong with for-profit fund-raising. .

IF it means that more money ends up with those that need it.

Organisers have to be able to show that they made things bigger, better and profitable enoough to justify their cost.

20% for two people seems waaay out of whack. There's no way they're adding that much value to the organisation.

Advertisement