Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers for Toshiba laptop

Options
  • 16-04-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

In preparation for a W10 installation (clean install), I am downloading the W7 (70 drivers)and W10 upgrade drivers from the Toshiba resources site.

In instances where 2 or more versions of the same driver exist for W7, is it necessary to install all versions OR only the latest version?

I am puzzled by this as I would have assumed that if only the latest version was required, the earlier versions would not be available in the customized drop-down menu for the specific windows version and arch. Obviously, I do not wish to download redundant drivers so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You only need the latest, the older drivers are there as an option for consumers but arent normally required.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

ED E wrote: »
    You only need the latest, the older drivers are there as an option for consumers but arent normally required.

As stated in the opening post, I have downloaded W7 (51 drivers) and W10 (11 drivers) to a HD. I did not download earlier versions of the same driver, where these existed. I haven't installed any of these yet and am wondering if it is necessary or recommended to install all drivers outlined on the Toshiba Downloads site?

I presume that some drivers are automatically included in the W10 download or updates, but I haven't seen any Toshiba drivers in the Programs folder. So far, the USB ports, mouse and touchpad facilities are functioning normally. I presume some drivers are necessary to avail of the hardware functionality etc. etc., but unfortunately, not all have a description which is obvious to a non-technical person.

In contract, I did an clean install of Windows XP to a Dell Latitude some years ago and there were only 8 drivers required for that purpose - some difference!

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I would get anything described as motherboard/chipset, and the graphics and LAN/WLAN drivers, then check what isn't recognised in Device Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I would get anything described as motherboard/chipset, and the graphics and LAN/WLAN drivers, then check what isn't recognised in Device Manager

Thanks bonzodog2. Interestingly, there is only 1 driver described as 'chipset utility', I presumed I would need to install the BIOS and USB related drivers but it is all the other Toshiba drivers that I am wondering about. Thanks for your help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

If it was possible at all I would take a clone of the original disc. I've seen a lot of these Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 upgrades go wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement