Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to lost or undelivered post?

Options
  • 16-04-2016 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Currently trying to get a package that wasn't collected in the ridiculous 3 day collection window from an post. Nightmare.

It got me thinking, what happens all the undelivered post? I know that the Gardai auction off unclaimed bikes. Do An Post do something similar? What do Irish Rail do with unclaimed lost property? And collect and fly in the Airport. Curious to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Gangu wrote: »
    Currently trying to get a package that wasn't collected in the ridiculous 3 day collection window from an post. Nightmare.

It got me thinking, what happens all the undelivered post? I know that the Gardai auction off unclaimed bikes. Do An Post do something similar? What do Irish Rail do with unclaimed lost property? And collect and fly in the Airport. Curious to know.

Return to Sender where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I'm sure they have policies for this on their site and the other relevant sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Regarding the US, have a listen here: http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/dead-letter-office/

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/50000-letters-and-parcels-undelivered-by-an-post-every-week-266442.html
    A variety of goods are undelivered. “There could be legal documents, personal correspondence, birthday and Christmas presents, anything with a return address is sent back and everything else is logged and filed on the computer. After three months, if no-one has enquired about the item, it is donated to the Irish Charity Association, which distributes the items on our behalf,” he says.

Advertisement